How do you prepare for a Blizzard?

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Firewood is fine.
Propane tank is fine.
Refrigeration - no worry, haven't been above freezing since New Year's Eve.
Generator if needed.

If our driveway is snowed in -
032.jpg

He is on speed dial.

We aren't in the path of the blizzard, but we live in the middle of a farm field with no north wind break yet (another 300 trees ordered for the spring), and the 3 - 4 inches that we got between Sunday and Monday left 1 foot drifts on the driveway. The driveway was cleared yesterday, but when I was set to head out today, I discovered that I was drifted in. The plow guy came again today and I moved the truck to the end of the driveway (about 1 block long) so I can get to the job center for testing tomorrow morning.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How to prepare for a blizzard?

Go to Wal-Mart. Buy everything you can so your neighbors cannot.

Go home.

Discover you forgot toilet paper.

This seems to be what everybody in Laramie is doing, anyway...

Funny, we just do our regular shopping. It always takes us by surprise when the shelves are empty because of some panic state that we hadn't even paid attention to.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
Speaking of "checklists"
Coffee-check
creamer-check
Chocolate-DOUBLE check
Crown Royal - TRIPPLE check
Rum, Vodka,Tequilla, Burbon..-CHECK
Popcorn-check.
Now I think I will go bake some cookies...Ohhh yeah...im ready!
your list looks suspiciously like mine.. you copying here? :clap

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How is everyone doing in this storm? We are getting pelted. My son's two firends are slleping over tonight (PA day tomorrow) All animals bedded down nice and comfy, and we are having fn in the house. Gona be a good night. :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We are getting a good, steady rain right now....remains to be seen if it turns to ice. It may miss us here in WV....I keep hoping it does.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we are missed

had some good hard rain but it is almost over and not freezing outside

so we got lucky on this one thank goodness
:lol:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Glad to hear so many here are doing okay.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put gas in the car and picked up a few fresh food items at Aldi's on Monday. Kids have had 2 snow days. I am glad I don't have to drive,but an wondering how to deal with the ice on my drive.

It was 40-ish this am before the sun peeked,so I was out flipping the ice blocks off the chicken shed.All the weight has really bent the roof.

If it snows that will cover the ice on my driveway. I only have half a small bag of salt,so that is little help for the driveway.

We have a new Dairy Queen around the corner. There was a house there just a few months ago!.I have to get my dd an ice cream cake for her b-day.

I don't drink alcohol due to bp issues,but my friend was talking about blackberry brandy the other day,and I sure would like to try it with a bit of tea!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The thermometer dropped off the bottom this morning, sitting where -45 would be. No wind, thankfully - in our neck of the woods, even the average winter winds from a normal day would have driven this to probably a hundred below wind chills.

The animals seem fine this morning - we were worried about the ducks, but they seem to be ok. Alex just filled their water pan with warm water, so we expect they'll be soaking their feet soon.

The Nissan would not start this morning - none of us has to leave the house for work, but one girl goes to school and has to be taken to the bus, twenty miles away. Surprisingly, the diesel pickup fired right up - it was pretty sluggish on takeoff, but it ran. It was plugged in all night - it always stays plugged in because it is such a hard start even at 45 above.

All we got was a couple of inches of snow two days ago, and these bitter temps. Usually the first or second week of February sees the coldest temps of the year, but this is pretty low, even for here. It is supposed to start warming up today, so we should see it above zero again - didn't get above -10 yesterday.

Our house (a double-wide) only has a furnace on one side. Normally that isn't a big deal, but last night the unheated side was pretty chilly. No plumbing on that side or anything, and it didn't get below about 55, but still nippy enough to make it uncomfortable getting up at night to raid the kitchen.

Definitely a hot chocolate kind of morning.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
We only got high winds and *maybe* 3-4" of snow (it is drifted so bad in some places, and scoured to previous hard snow surface in others, it is impossible to tell the real amount, but definitely not much). Not particularly cold, probably low teens F right now. Much less windy now.

School was open but busing cancelled, so DS#1 is home today, as is my husband who yesterday put in his request for the day off in anticipation of the weather. yet the roads are FINE and there is really no reason we should all be stuck here in the house :p (Way too windy to play outside tho)

I feel cheated :p

(Although, since the incompletely-re-screwed barn tin at the high part of the barn roof, whose loose edge faces E and is therefore in jeopardy in a hard E wind, is still happy-looking, I am not going to complain!)

Pat