How do you reverse the turn of an AC electric motor?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've got an old (but good) 1/3 hp washing machine motor. I need to reverse the direction that the shaft turns. It's a simple 120v, 60cps, AC motor.

My memory tells me that there is a simple rewiring that can be done to reverse the way the motor will start and then turn. Or am I thinking of something related to DC motors?

doc_gonzo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
joel,

try reversing the polarity of the motor, ie. switching the hot and neutral wires. it always worked with greenhouse exaust fan motors.....

doc

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
doc_gonzo said:
joel,

try reversing the polarity of the motor, ie. switching the hot and neutral wires. it always worked with greenhouse exaust fan motors.....
Yeah, I was wondering if that simple reversal of those two wires is what does the trick. I'd have just tried that - but was a bit worried the motor could burn out that way. I guess not.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nah, didn't work. So I did a little web search and found that there are several different kinds of AC motors, and some kinds aren't reversible.

I guess I'll be conducting a local search for used 1/3 hp "counterclockwise" electric motors.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I've always wondered about this too! DC motors are super simple... just switch polarity and direction switches. Since AC is literally "alternating", I've always been interested in how direction is determined.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I know pretty much absolutely nothing about motors, but thinking logically I thought I would add my dumb thought for the day--what if you turn the motor upside-down? Would that work, or am I totally out to lunch? :hu :hide

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
So, I know pretty much absolutely nothing about motors, but thinking logically I thought I would add my dumb thought for the day--what if you turn the motor upside-down? Would that work, or am I totally out to lunch? :hu :hide
The motor sits horizontally, in terms of the shaft providing power. The shaft comes out at one end of the motor casing. Direction of turn would remain the same. A motor shaft turning clockwise would still turn clockwise. A motor shaft turning counterclockwise would still turn counterclockwise.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well then what if you turn it inside out :p :lol:

Latest posts