How do you stay calm in an emergency?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
How do you keep yourself calm in an emergency?

It seems like when I get into an unknown or high stress situation I panic quite easily. My DH on the other hand has probably never panicked in his life and seems to be one of those pools of calm in a storm. He is able to think clearly and he says that it seems like time slows down for him. Me on the other hand, everything seems louder and faster and I have a very hard time making good decisions and figuring out what to do.

So for example, this weekend we were in a busy traffic situation at a shopping center. The lady next to us started panicking because she was screaming that her vehicle was on fire. (Her engine was overheating and the radiator was spewing). But before I had even figured out what was going on other than stopping my car, DH was directing the child out of the backseat, had the mother calmed and loading into our car and directions to the driver to slowly move the vehicle across the street to a safe location where we would meet her with the other two people. We drove across the street, got everyone situated and had driven off before my brain even knew what was happening.

Any tips or tricks that you use to stay sane when everyone around you is yelling?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay I know it sounds kinda stupid, but I just tell myself to STOP! It really works. When I feel panic building up I tell myself to stop and push the panic back down, usually in a bad situation I really have to work at it. When my dad was dying and we didn't know what was wrong with him I drove him to the hospital myself because he was still coherent enough to refuse to ride in an ambulance. About halfway there he started losing consciousness and slumping over in the seat and fell against me while I was driving. I thought he was going up die before we made it. That was one time it was REALLY hard not to panic, but I couldn't because I was driving. I made up for it later though.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am like rebecca100 - I deal with the situation, then I have my breakdown afterwards.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in a kitchen, which can be a dangerous place for those not paying attention/distracted (especially when there are children). There's all manner of hot surfaces, sharp objects, potentially slippery places if spills occur, and I just DON'T allow panic in the kitchen.

My mother was prone to it. Imagine how crazy she drove me. XD Holidays in particular, when she was swarming the house in a panic, trying to clean. At one point I finally kicked her out of the room and said "Give me the freaking broom, I will sweep the kitchen, you go do something else."

Having been trained (and having worked) in that particular field, I find it my responsibility to ensure that I maintain a safe working environment for myself and those around me.

That stems, I think, from the peaceful calm I fall into when something unexpected and usually shocking happens (like being bitten by the class snake in sophomore year.) I figure, well, it's not as bad as I thought it might be, so put on a good face and reassure everyone else.

The only time I can think of that I was in a real panic was when we disturbed a wasps nest. Screaming panic, and yet, I still had the presence of mind to stand in the smoke from the BBQ. Now, that was before the class snake incident, so I'm thinking that was the day I had my last true panic incident. :p After that, I pretty much remained cool as a cucumber. :p

So, I guess it comes down to my feeling of responsibility for myself and those around me. I'm usually very laid back anyway, but I've learned not to get myself upset over anything that isn't truly worth it, because if I lose it, goodness knows what is going to happen. :p

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hoosier said:
I am like rebecca100 - I deal with the situation, then I have my breakdown afterwards.
Me 3! I don't know how I do it, but I am always calm, cool, and collected during a crisis. However, I may burst into tears when it's all over.

One weird thing about me... I have no trouble dealing with injuries and blood from a family member. But if it's a stranger my stomach does flips. I can still handle the situation, but not as calmly as with a family member. Weird.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Take two breaths deeply from the gut. Take a 360 degree visual scan/assessment of the situation, looking for the primary issue. Try to screen out the "noise".

At work, I am part of the staff's volunteer emergency response team. Thankfully, we have not had any significant events, only training exercises for these type of events. Not everyone does it naturally like your husband, but keeping yourself calm is the first step.

Looking for some other opinions, too. :pop

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Ummm.... hah. I don't. My survival plan?: My fiance. His feathers are not capable of getting ruffled.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
hoosier said:
Same here. I don't ever recall panicking so bad that I'm no longer able to function and/or think.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm a weird one. I stay pretty calm in a crisis, but get a little freaked out afterwards, when I have a chance to think about how dangerous the situation was.
For people that get panicky :
Get "Rescue Remedy" and carry it with you. It's a natural formula for calming in crisis situations. You can find it at health food stores. It's usually in liquid form, but that bottle is glass, so you might want to look for the pastilles version if your purse gets banged around alot.
The other big help is to take a deep breath and make a conscious effort to keep the breathing slow and even. It helps prevent panic and helps you think clearer.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Another calm during, freak out after kind here :D