How do you stay calm in an emergency?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I think my biggest problem is just learning to recognize when I am not thinking clearly. If DH is around, he's able to direct things and I just do what he's saying. I don't ever hyperventilate, it just seems like my brain has been put in a blender and I'm paralyzed or something.

Obviously, a distressed motorist with overheated radiator is not an emergency situation. But, my brain kicked into overdrive trying to figure out why this woman was waving me to pull over, why her kid was being yanked out of the back seat, what was happening to the traffic behind me because we were blocking both left turn lanes, was the car going to explode, how was I going to move all my plants and groceries around in the car to make room for passengers, how was I going to get around her car to get across the street to a quiet parking lot, etc. None of it critical, life threatening, or even difficult, except my brain tried to process all of that in about 1 second and just got jammed and couldn't do anything.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I kinda got embarassed that I jumped up and was directing everyone like that. Hubby was all red-faced
no no! dont be! as my sister famously said, "someone has to be in charge, might as well be you."

i come from a long a glorious line of bossy people. we are all good in a crisis because it comes naturally to us. but i think its a skill that can be developed. i dont run to an emergency but i do walk quickly and with determination. i dont even think i freak out afterwards. hum... anyway.

my example was that we were in a very serious car wreck - as soon as i determined my hubby and i werent (badly) hurt i sprung into action. the wreck (involving several cars) was all over the freeway, so step 1 was to get traffic behind us stopped before even more cars were involved. then i directed traffic around the wreck, had several people call 911 (i didnt ask, i told *points at person* 'you, call 911'), then found a nurse and had them evaluate the other people (some of the people were hurt badly). after 15 minutes or so the highway patrol and EMT's showed up. then i stomped back to the shattered remains of my truck and wondered if i would actually be arrested for beating the crap out of the guy who crossed the center and clocked us. actually i had to solve the problem of being over an hour away from anything, in the middle of no where, and we had to get home some how.

anyway

the big thing is that many people will not interpret an emergency situation as an emergency. people tend to want to downplay what is going on. so the first step is to recognize an emergency. is someone hurt? is there a dangerous situation?

next is to take appropriate action - if people are nervous or afraid they will respond to an authoritative voice and someone who takes command (like SD did). use that as a tool to secure the site, evaluate what needs to happen, and direct others, if necessary. call for help - having someone call 911 is the perfect first step.

as for yourself, focus on the task at hand.

it also helps to prepare for unexpected situations. there are tons of books on "what to do if....." it might help you to read some of these to familiarize yourself. first responders dont panic (hopefully) because they rely on their training. you can be prepared also by familiarizing yourself with steps to take in certain situations. you might also want to take a CPR class or something like that.

i guess the other thing is... if this isnt your thing, then thats ok too. not everyone can or wants to be in the thick of the action. but what you can do is be helpful. be the person who calls 911. do you have anything in your bag or car that others can use? for instance can you offer a sweater or jacket to someone who is going into shock or needs to have their head elevated? do you have a flashlight, a blanket, a first aid kit?

whether you are a "take charger" or a "helper" either way is just fine.

:)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My sister and I got more than our share of bossy genes. My brother missed out so he married an older, bossier woman! :gig
We can trace some of the bossy genes to grandma Marge. She had 8 kids and she was about 5' 2" tall. my uncles are all 6' and up, but she could still whack anyone in the back of the head who needed it :)

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My bossy genes come from being a parent I think. *SD sticks her head out the window at Trouble and yells, "You there, stop throwing knives at that target while the hens are behind it!"*

OFG, it sounds like the same thing happened to you when the car accident hit, you just saw that someone needed to direct and stepped into the role. And I must admit I've sat through many CPR classes during my dental years, so I would have tried the Heimlich on the big guy had no one else stepped up, or directed Hubby, who is significantly larger than me (I'm real short).

FF, it isn't a problem if your brain goes to mush momentarily. Just recognize you are like that and let someone else lead. I bet if you were the only one present, you would find your brain will unmush and time slooooooooows down so you can think.

Is unmush a word?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
unmush is a word now!! i run a quick mental triage. if someone else competent has taken charge, i can follow orders. if no one has, i will take over. i've always been like that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FF Some folks do tend to just follow the leader in these situations. That's actually a GOOD thing, because if everyone is leading, what's gettin done?! At least you have the presence of mind to follow directions to help. DD14 can't do that much, she completely shuts down. Her big sis got hurt in the yard one day while I was inside, and she just stood there beside her her crying, and I knew NOTHING until I heard big sis yell. DD14 couldn't even come for help. THAT is dangerous, and why I have worked to try to teach them to just breathe for cryin out loud!! :lol:

It doesn't sound like you really freak out, as much as you don't process "next steps" well under pressure as far as figuring out what steps to take to "quick fix" whatever is taking place to make the situation more manageable. That's no big deal so long as you have the presence to help those who DO have the clear mind to know HOW to react. Everyone has their strengths and maybe yours is helper instead of leader. My complaint is it always seems like I have no helpers :lol: I'd love to have someone like you there in a crisis situation rather than 15 that are just completely shutting down and freaking out.

It really sounds like you're being too hard on yourself as far as your abilities and value during such times. Those who DO are needed just as much as those who are figuring out WHAT to do. You just play a different part in the fixing of the problem.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
FF Some folks do tend to just follow the leader in these situations. That's actually a GOOD thing, because if everyone is leading, what's gettin done?!
Ugh. I've been in those situations. It's just a giant argument and nothing happens.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well one day at school someone acidentally pulled the "shooter on campus alarm" one of the police guys supposly did it, dirty basturds really, some one could have gotten trampled. At first the whole class and me were like wtf, is this real?? All of a sudden 90 percent of the class got up and ran for the fire exit. Me, the teacher, and a few others stayed behind, we were at a fire exit part of the school and so i felt i could help fleeing people . Everyone else except us 5 stayed, fight or flight it was 90 percent flight to 10 percent fight lol. So then as we are in the classroom waiting to see if a shootrr is here, then a siren comes on and they say "false alarm" it was funked up! Now people in my class were hiding outside, some 10 miles down the highway, traffic jam at the school entrance, no cops came till a while later and the barricks is like really close.. Me and my friend were in kick asZz mode, cause i am sick of terrrrist, just seeing 90 percnet fear was sad to see.

But im guessing it was a planned social experiment that they do to people, like when the jerks flew the presidentt planee over nyc, psyops to test public reaction, if u saw the videos it was fear,sick twisted ****ake. Total evil!
Well thats my experience in a crisis situation, not sure if taking the fighting stance is right, but i felt staying and helpIng is my mind set and not to bow down to terrorizers even though there was none lol.

I am always happy to hear courageous passengers take no ****ake and fight the terrorisrt on there planes! The pat rioot act didnt stop that, real heroic people stopped the shooee bmbber!!!!!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
dragonlaurel said:
I'm a weird one. I stay pretty calm in a crisis, but get a little freaked out afterwards, when I have a chance to think about how dangerous the situation was.
For people that get panicky :
Get "Rescue Remedy" and carry it with you. It's a natural formula for calming in crisis situations. You can find it at health food stores. It's usually in liquid form, but that bottle is glass, so you might want to look for the pastilles version if your purse gets banged around alot.
The other big help is to take a deep breath and make a conscious effort to keep the breathing slow and even. It helps prevent panic and helps you think clearer.
Do you know how stable the oil is? I probably couldn't leave some in my car in this heat could I? I don't always carry a purse.

How does it work? Do you just put a drop on your tongue?
It's not an oil. It's like a tincture, and usually comes in a small bottle, with a dropper top. You usually put a few drops in a little water and drink it. You could put do the drops straight but the alcohol would taste bad then. They make it in other forms too. The pastilles come in a little tin, like Altoids so it would be easy to carry. Car heat gets really extreme, so you might get one that could go in a pocket easy.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I've used Rescue Remedy for many years for dogs going through some sort of angst. Works on some really well, others not at all. I had no idea it was for people as well!