How Does Homeschooling Affect College Plans?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hide I'm so glad that came out right, because there seems to be a majority preference on this forum for home schooling. It can be very difficult to post a dissenting opinion here, or even one that may appear to go against the grain.

There is so much educational research that has been done over the years about how children learn, and there truly is no one right or best way to teach. Both of my children are quite different learners--my younger is tactile and needs to manipulate and count and pile up and build, my oldest is visual and needs to read or be shown. And these learning styles don't apply to everything they do, my oldest needs to listen and practice in order to play a musical piece well and with the right mood (although she also sight-reads exceptionally well).

I will exhort home schooling parents to be sure to avail themselves of any and all help as they teach their children at home. You don't have to have all the answers, and you don't need to feel that you have failed in any way if you can't do it alone (or even if you need to put your child into school).

And I will encourage all parents, no matter what education method or style they choose for their parents, to not push their kids. To do anything. They can and will learn to do all things with time, love, guidance, boundaries and space. To roll over, to sit up, to creep/crawl, to walk, to eat, to get along with others, to count, to write their names, to read, to do arithmetic, to assimilate knowledge and combine it with things already learned, to tell time and make change at the store, to take responsibility for their own actions, to drive a car, to separate themselves from their families and to strike out into the world as adults.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YOU DO NOT NEED A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA TO GO TO COLLEGE.

Repeat this at least three times and consider it Leta's PSA for the day. :cool:

I know four people who did not graduate/attend high school and who have post-secondary degrees. Not a GED among them. One has a B.A., one has a M. Ed., one has an M.A., and one has a B.S. and is a couple classes away from his M.S.

Case study 1: My aunt. Her mom (my grandma) was the guidance counselor at her school. She was able to take extra classes. She wanted to graduate early, but the school wouldn't let her. Her mom filled out the paperwork anyway, and Western Michigan was happy to accept her. She left for college at the same time that her 18 months older brother did. This happened in 1969. She has a Master's in Education and has been nominated for her state's Teacher of the Year award every year she's been in the classroom.

Case study 2: My cousin A. Her mom got cancer and she moved from MI (dad's house) to TX to be with mom. School was, understandably, not a priority at that point. Several years later, at age 21, she took the ACT and University of Texas entrance exam and nailed them. This happened in the '90s. She has a B.A. and is a grant writer.

Case study 3: My cousin E. Homeschooled exclusively. To my extreme pride, she came and visited me in '99 when she was 13 and I was in college at Eastern Michigan. I took her to class with me to convince her that she totally could do this level of work. She agreed. The fall of 2000, she was 14, and started attending community college, free of charge. In many states (FL and MI for sure) if you are under 18, you can go to any state college or university for free. You just have to pass the entrance exam. Uni's typically want an ACT score, too. Community colleges usually don't. She graduated at 20 with zero debt, and got a job teaching that paid for her to get her Master's in history. She works at museum in New Orleans. She's 25 and living her dream.

Case study 4: My friend. He hated high school, got a job, finished his sophomore year but quit as soon as he got his license and moved out on his own at 16. His dad had a job at the local university, so friend's tuition was free. When he was 19, he took his ACT and passed his entrance exam. Got a B.S. in Geography in '08, got a job at the college so now he provides his own free tuition, and is getting his Master's in Public Administration. Part time, because he works full time, but he'll be done sometime in 2012.

My DD is in kindy right now, her choice. I hope my kids choose not to go to high school and do more productive things instead.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Leta said:
YOU DO NOT NEED A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA TO GO TO COLLEGE.

Repeat this at least three times and consider it Leta's PSA for the day. :cool:

I know four people who did not graduate/attend high school and who have post-secondary degrees. Not a GED among them. One has a B.A., one has a M. Ed., one has an M.A., and one has a B.S. and is a couple classes away from his M.S.

Case study 1: My aunt. Her mom (my grandma) was the guidance counselor at her school. She was able to take extra classes. She wanted to graduate early, but the school wouldn't let her. Her mom filled out the paperwork anyway, and Western Michigan was happy to accept her. She left for college at the same time that her 18 months older brother did. This happened in 1969. She has a Master's in Education and has been nominated for her state's Teacher of the Year award every year she's been in the classroom.

Case study 2: My cousin A. Her mom got cancer and she moved from MI (dad's house) to TX to be with mom. School was, understandably, not a priority at that point. Several years later, at age 21, she took the ACT and University of Texas entrance exam and nailed them. This happened in the '90s. She has a B.A. and is a grant writer.

Case study 3: My cousin E. Homeschooled exclusively. To my extreme pride, she came and visited me in '99 when she was 13 and I was in college at Eastern Michigan. I took her to class with me to convince her that she totally could do this level of work. She agreed. The fall of 2000, she was 14, and started attending community college, free of charge. In many states (FL and MI for sure) if you are under 18, you can go to any state college or university for free. You just have to pass the entrance exam. Uni's typically want an ACT score, too. Community colleges usually don't. She graduated at 20 with zero debt, and got a job teaching that paid for her to get her Master's in history. She works at museum in New Orleans. She's 25 and living her dream.

Case study 4: My friend. He hated high school, got a job, finished his sophomore year but quit as soon as he got his license and moved out on his own at 16. His dad had a job at the local university, so friend's tuition was free. When he was 19, he took his ACT and passed his entrance exam. Got a B.S. in Geography in '08, got a job at the college so now he provides his own free tuition, and is getting his Master's in Public Administration. Part time, because he works full time, but he'll be done sometime in 2012.

My DD is in kindy right now, her choice. I hope my kids choose not to go to high school and do more productive things instead.
One of my DHs points of frustration in collage, was that much of the first semester was spent catching up most of the students. Review and reteach. Seemed like many were not ready for the classes, even though they had the paperwork stating they were.
He had to wait around for weeks to learn what he had paid to learn.

@Moolie. I don't think anyone on here feels like home schooling is the only way to go. I have a strong preference for it, but that does not mean other options will not be explored as needed.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's for sure. When I went to college (in my 30s) I had to take a placement test. I had no problem doing any of it, and was able to go right into regular classes. But, many of the students that were right out of high school needed remedial English and math.

Latest posts