How fat is obese?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hiding under that chair huh? :)

well we aren't big on sugar stuff either so the convenience is needed on that stuff for me.

I bake a cake and I end up throwing out at least 1/2 of it. we just don't eat it fast enough. so really I save money if I buy a bit of junk instead of making a big old batch or big old cake that is never finished.

one exception for baking is brownies or chocolate chip cookies. I make those and they are inhaled in 10 minutes. everything else I make just hangs around and collects dust it seems.

sugar stuff bought is a good convience. small packages. no waste.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh how I wish i had that problem :lol: My bunch are sugar junkies, if i make a cake and turn around too slow I don't get any! Ever seen a pirahna feeding frenzy? :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
so lucky said:
If you watch network TV, you can see where the big money is being spent regarding meds. Obesity, depression, heartburn, constipation, impotence, the common cold, type 2 diabetes, arthritis and allergies. I'm sure I am missing some important ones---oh yes, headache and insomnia.
ALL of which can be greatly improved or cured by APPROPRIATE DIET!!!
Will the AMA admit this? No. It would cost the medical profession and the drug industry WAY too much $$ to tell the truth. Not to mention what the artificial foodstuff industry would lose. So we have to be even more vocal about spreading the truth.
I must disagree as far as the medical profession. Consumers drive the market. As discussed before, people DON'T WANT to be told how to eat better. They want a pill. I've never had a Dr. tell me not to eat healthy or not exercise. I have ignored Dr's instructions to eat healthy and exercise countless times - and followed up those choices with weight loss products and medications. I do have mental health problems that are not caused by poor diet or lack of exercise. BUT, I will also say that good food and exercise do relieve symptoms and help me be less dependant on medication.

Totally agree on the artificial/processed foods industry. If everyone in the USA stopped eating junk food today, how many jobs would be lost?! Millions!! Truck drivers, grocery stores, gas stations, production plants. Not to mention 3.5 million fast food restaurant employees.

It's really out of control. It won't get better until after it all comes crashing down someays, somehow. God knows it can't go one forever :/

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good post tortoise

and I so agree it is all going to come crashing down.

I know people are buying more essentials and not as much junk. I can see jobs related to that junk being lost easily.
extras go first when people are broke.
so many of the smaller service type business have closed around my area. it is starting and still heading down.

example is Lays potatoe chips. seems crazy as an example but my area NEVER were Lays on buy one get one free. yea maybe .30 cents off for a sale but never buy one get one. the price is so high on those chips now they have to do buy one get one to have people put them in their cart. And when I went down that aisle even with buy one get one, the cheaper store brand chips were more wiped out than the higher priced Lays. Lays currently had a huge promotion running to name the new flavor chip. commercials, ads everywhere. they are trying to get popular again but I don't think they will. price drives the market mostly for the masses. In the olden days I bought Lays chips. I haven't in so long. they lost my money forever, can ya imagine how that biz will do when more and more stop buying?

it is all going to change. big changes are coming for sure.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

I buy little debbies etc for my kiddo.
I had to google that, we don't have that brand up here. Interesting that their website doesn't list ingredients for any of their products--that's the first thing I look at when I buy anything, and not listing it on the website makes me very suspicious that those things are just chock-full of preservatives and other junk.

Just curious why you wouldn't bake that kind of thing yourself? I know you said that if you bake a cake it goes to waste, but you don't have to bake an "entire" cake at a time. And your freezer is totally your friend when it comes to preparing snacks ahead of time--same kind of convenience as pre-packaged but SO much cheaper, and better for you :)

My kids and I bake loaf cakes--banana bread, applesauce bread, spice cake--and freeze them right in the Pyrex loaf pans that come with plastic lids. Then there is always something handy--the kids take one out at night and then can slice off pieces to take to school each day.

Or muffins/cupcakes--SO easy to freeze in a ziplock bag and already portioned. There are all kinds of mini cake pans--like mini loaves and even shaped cupcakes these days. (My kids like loaf cake better for some reason, so I don't often make muffins.) I see all kinds of individual "cupcake keepers" in the stores these days that would be so fun for your daughter to take to school with her lunch.

Even the Swiss roll I see on that website is a no-brainer--all kinds of recipes out there, just bake in a cookie sheet lined with parchment for easy removal, spread on the filling, roll up and cut. You can open-freeze the portions on a cookie sheet, then pop into a ziplock bag.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
If everyone in the USA stopped eating junk food today, how many jobs would be lost?! Millions!! Truck drivers, grocery stores, gas stations, production plants. Not to mention 3.5 million fast food restaurant employees.
If everyone started eating better, those trucking/grocery store jobs would still be there because there would be more demand for "real" food, which still needs trucking and grocery store space.

Gas stations will still sell snacks, maybe they'll be more healthy if people change their habits--the 7-Eleven and Macs and other gas station stores around here already have baskets of fresh fruit, nice sandwiches, nuts and trail mixes, waters and juices alongside the pops and sports drinks. And I see people buying these things too (we take a lot of road trips to visit family in BC so we stop at lots of gas stations along the way).

Production plant jobs for junk foods would probably go, but if we shift how we "do food" there will still be food-industry jobs because people will still want "easy" even if it's healthy rather than junky. And fast-food restaurants like McDonald's are already changing--the ones around here are all re-branded "Mc Cafe" and the tv adverts are now all for fancy coffees and fruit smoothies and healthy fresh sandwiches with grilled rather than fried ingredients. I'm sure they still make the Big Mac etc. but people's eating habits are changing and McD seems to be keeping up.

And this thread proves, to me anyway, that there's still a huge demand for some junk even amongst people who tend to eat better than the average ;)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
The thing w/those BMI charts, I don't believe they take muscle into consideration. While people like to say that muscle weighs more than fat, it doesn't. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. But, the muscle is more dense, so someone that's a muscular 185 will not be a big as a person that's a fat 185.
BMI charts are, according to my wife (MD, PhD), based on normal folk and may not produce the correct results for very strong active people.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
so lucky said:
Have you ever thought about how prevalent eating is in our daily life? Not just to nourish us, but for every occasion. If we get kids together for a meeting or class, we think they need a snack. We can't go for a car ride without a big gulp soda. Office birthdays, cake. Donuts because it's Friday. Pizza because it's the weekend. None of it is for nourishment. But we don't celebrate a special occasion with a big bowl of steamed carrots. Before Easter, I was appalled at how many aisles the Easter candy took up at walmart.
hmmmm YES!

I am not sending birthday cupcakes to school for my son's birthday tomorrow. Nope. Not gonna happen. Because I love him.
Seems that exercise is often used as punishment (running laps, pushups, etc) and eating at a restaurant is a reward. I am trying to avoid that in my family, but it's a challenge.

One of my colleagues (whose wife was a dietician) worked with a commercial bakery (HyVee, I think) to get some better-quality treats for his kid's birthday. Instead of box-cake covered with colored shortening, they brought something involving whole-wheat flour and no frosting. It was a big hit with the kids.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Denim Deb said:
The thing w/those BMI charts, I don't believe they take muscle into consideration. While people like to say that muscle weighs more than fat, it doesn't. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. But, the muscle is more dense, so someone that's a muscular 185 will not be a big as a person that's a fat 185.
BMI charts are, according to my wife (MD, PhD), based on normal folk and may not produce the correct results for very strong active people.
Our oldest son is a body builder. While in the Navy, he weighed 225. The top weight for his height was 204. The Navy listed him as 'overweight, but underfat'. :lol:

When he visits, we see that he maintains a consistent 245 lbs., still works out, very muscular, very active, and while being a vegetarian.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Denim Deb said:
So, are you saying I'm abnormal? :lol: