How fat is obese?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today our local news station (KFVS12) ran a story about how aspartame inhibits serotonin production, thus causing depression in kids, as well as adults. I have never seen aspartame bad-mouthed in this way before! Yea! It was approved 30 years ago, and is used in everything. If the food says "low sugar" or "no sugar added" you can be 99% sure it has aspartame in it. It has also been linked to brain tumors, MS, and Gulf War Syndrome.
I can see a vicious cycle here, with people drinking diet sodas to try to lose weight, getting fatter due to the insulin disruptions, and depressed due to the serotonin disruptions, so then getting a script for an antidepression med that causes constipation and weight gain. Grrr!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honestly Moolie when you read all my posts over the years there are a few things I hate to the maximum. baking is one of them. I have 0 interest in doing that.

I know. we all have our devils on our shoulders.

I despise chickens also. Had over 400 of them in egg production. well, I did that but no one is going to make me bake unless hubby is holding a gun to my head demanding that cake, which he almost has done a few times :) but good thing is he can bake a cake and does so.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Today our local news station (KFVS12) ran a story about how aspartame inhibits serotonin production, thus causing depression in kids, as well as adults. I have never seen aspartame bad-mouthed in this way before! Yea! It was approved 30 years ago, and is used in everything. If the food says "low sugar" or "no sugar added" you can be 99% sure it has aspartame in it. It has also been linked to brain tumors, MS, and Gulf War Syndrome.
I can see a vicious cycle here, with people drinking diet sodas to try to lose weight, getting fatter due to the insulin disruptions, and depressed due to the serotonin disruptions, so then getting a script for an antidepression med that causes constipation and weight gain. Grrr!
I heard (from where I can't remember) that Pepsi products is ditching aspartame. not sure, haven't gotten the true low down, just heard. I think the aspartame is going to slowly go by the wayside. and replace with 'who knows what' :p

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Some of the soda is going to have stevia. It's at least a sweetener that's tried and true, for about a thousand years. :thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm going to start a stevia farm then :lol: That stuff is good anyway. We use it in tea, and neighbor kids like to pluck a leaf off to just eat :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
honestly Moolie when you read all my posts over the years there are a few things I hate to the maximum. baking is one of them. I have 0 interest in doing that.

I know. we all have our devils on our shoulders.

I despise chickens also. Had over 400 of them in egg production. well, I did that but no one is going to make me bake unless hubby is holding a gun to my head demanding that cake, which he almost has done a few times :) but good thing is he can bake a cake and does so.
:hide Oops, lol, sorry about that--maybe it's time to get your daughter into baking then! Mine love it :)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
k15n1 said:
Denim Deb said:
The thing w/those BMI charts, I don't believe they take muscle into consideration. While people like to say that muscle weighs more than fat, it doesn't. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. But, the muscle is more dense, so someone that's a muscular 185 will not be a big as a person that's a fat 185.
BMI charts are, according to my wife (MD, PhD), based on normal folk and may not produce the correct results for very strong active people.
So, are you saying I'm abnormal? :lol:
Everyone here is probably considered abnormal, so you're in good company!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
tortoise said:
so lucky said:
If you watch network TV, you can see where the big money is being spent regarding meds. Obesity, depression, heartburn, constipation, impotence, the common cold, type 2 diabetes, arthritis and allergies. I'm sure I am missing some important ones---oh yes, headache and insomnia.
ALL of which can be greatly improved or cured by APPROPRIATE DIET!!!
Will the AMA admit this? No. It would cost the medical profession and the drug industry WAY too much $$ to tell the truth. Not to mention what the artificial foodstuff industry would lose. So we have to be even more vocal about spreading the truth.
I must disagree as far as the medical profession. Consumers drive the market. As discussed before, people DON'T WANT to be told how to eat better. They want a pill. I've never had a Dr. tell me not to eat healthy or not exercise. I have ignored Dr's instructions to eat healthy and exercise countless times - and followed up those choices with weight loss products and medications. I do have mental health problems that are not caused by poor diet or lack of exercise. BUT, I will also say that good food and exercise do relieve symptoms and help me be less dependant on medication.

Totally agree on the artificial/processed foods industry. If everyone in the USA stopped eating junk food today, how many jobs would be lost?! Millions!! Truck drivers, grocery stores, gas stations, production plants. Not to mention 3.5 million fast food restaurant employees.

It's really out of control. It won't get better until after it all comes crashing down someays, somehow. God knows it can't go one forever :/
I think it goes both ways. There is no money to be made by the pharmaceuticals IF people take care of themselves. I see a ton of advertising. New regulations are now in place to sever some of the ties between doctors and pharmaceutical because they were all in bed together. It was pretty slimy.

I'm not someone who thinks all medicine is bad. I sure loved my antibiotics when I had Lyme disease, but you'll never see me at the doc for a cold or sore throat. Food is my medicine, but if I still developed diabetes some day I will do whatever it takes to control it, including medication. I just hope to never be there due to my lifestyle.

Many people WILL not change, and so the doctors need to prescribe medication. But a person can't help but see how incredibly profitable it is for many companies to have ill people.