How I want to live...

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been interested in underground homes for years. We flood, but from everything I've read, its possible to make the structure and bury it, in cases where you can't find a hill/mountain.
I wouldn't mind doing it as an experiement......kinda like making a backwards swimming pool and have the entrance way high up and then coming down into the dwelling. Thinking I can call it a hurricane/tornado shelter. If it seems awesome, I can keep on with it.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
his home isnt actually underground...its earth bermed, he built the house in a natural dip in the land then brought in more earth around it to sink it slightly. earth berming (pushing the earth against the walls and sometimes even onto the roof is a definate possibility for those where digging isnt an option for whatever reason...
there are potential issues, (moisture barrier, air flow ect) but if built correctly there increidbly energy efficient AND both earthquake and tornado/hurricane reistant

id LOVE bermed home (or underground home done right) eventually, i can imagine myself retiring to that home somewhere neer the coast (im thinking it would fit right in in oregon or southern washington state)

that one is just fairy tale pretty! i love the whimsy... it looks so cozy and welcoming.

My dad is also interested in "hobbit holes" (underground and earth bermed) so i think its genetic...mums not too keen on the idea because shes worried about light in a true submersed home.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My summers are HOT. Several days of 100F. I can easily pay 3 summer electricity bills of over $400. So if I could kiss AC goodbye, I'd love it. You talk to people here about underground homes and they quickly remind us of Hurricane Juan 1985.....really bad flooding. But honestly, for any of our flooding hurricanes, people surrounded their homes with sandbags and turned on pumps. Seems to me that with this type of home, you already have in a built in sandbag system. All you have to do is consider the pumping, if you should need it. And really you wouldn't need it, unless the water doesn't get pumped out for many days. I have some old tin and studs lying around, doing nothing but being in my way. I bet I can get a nice little shed completely framed up, then wrap it in plastic and bury the thing........At least that is the way I take it from the book I've been reading....The $50 on up Underground Home Book. (at least I think thats what its called....been reading it at work). In the 70's when I was in grade school, my class read an article on underground living.....said it was the home of the future. I find it crazy that it didn't catch on better than it has.

usedteabag

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You know you're short when... Everyone else is calling this a hobbit house and the thought of being too tall to live in it didn't even cross your mind. :) I would LOVE to live in a house like this.