How long would you make it??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
hoosier said:
inchworm said:
We have little access to water. Our well is like an 8" pipe. Can't get a bucket down there. We don't have a generator. We have a small pond we can use to help flush toilets. I'm bugging hubby for a rain barrel.
Inchy
They make long, narrow buckets with a flap on the bottom that you can drop down even a 6" well. I saw one at an old hardware store, but don't know if they still make them or how much they cost.
These are called "balers" and Leyman's(sp) still sell them...for an ungodly price!! If I had known something that common would be expensive later, I would have kept all the ones we used over the years!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Once the game warden shows up and arrest us we will be fine. 3 hots and a cot with someone else doing all the work.
:lol:

LOL!!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Heck i wouldn't last 2 hours :lol:

If our power goes out, we don't have water or heat. So we'd have to pack up and go somewhere else. (5 star hotel?)
Where are you going to find a 5 star hotel in Nebraska? :bun

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Beekissed- I always tell my kids: There are no boring times, only boring people!!!

That was unusually rude- even for you.
Do you think so? It wasn't meant to be, but I'm sorry you took that as a rudeness. "Even for you" implies that I am normally rude but have been unusually rude this time in particular. It is hard to emote in print, so I guess you have taken some of my comments as being intentionally rude in the past? Not in the least. All in good fun and not meant to insult anyone at all.

If you have taken it wrongly, I apologize for offending your sensibilities! :) I don't like making people feel bad...takes too much work to be mean to folks. My sense of humor may not be to your taste, though. :p

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We would be okay. We have a generator, cows for fresh milk, chickens for eggs, lots of stuff I canned, and 2 freezers full. The neighbors would all be flocking for water and possibly milk and eggs, so we would even have company!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty- I have a generator too- mostly needed to power the pellet stove and keep the fridge on.
But when the power went out for two weeks, it used a lot of propane and the trucks couldn't get up the road to fill it up. It was a close thing to running out of fuel before the trees were cleared enough for the truck to come and fill it up again.
One of the reasons I really am going to get a wood stove this coming year no matter what other demands on money happen.
I was thinking about FarmerChick's dehydrating post and think I will look into dehydrating my goat meat. That would lessen my dependence on the fridge. And certainly the pellet stove. I have never canned meat but maybe it's time I learned.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our generator works by tractor power. With 1000 gallon capacity fuel barrels and 300 gallon capacity gas barrel I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem for a while. It is seldom that they are all empty or close to empty at one time. We have both gas and diesel fuel tractors. Of course the diesel tractors would have to be plugged in and warmed up while still running the gas tractors!