How long would you make it??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
freemotion said:
My little dog's nickname is "Coyote Snacks!" :rolleyes:
:yuckyuck :yuckyuck :yuckyuck

Shark-bait, Oo-haha!

Actually, speaking of dogs, I think my youngest would be able to survive in the wild~in a heartbeat!!! My oldest? I think she would be a fair hunter for small game like groundhogs and such, but she doesn't have that pure scavenger, extreme stealth and quickness of the pup, so I think she would eventually starve or be eaten by something a little hungrier~probably the younger dog!!!! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think we would be ok...I cann everything, and always have several months of canned food in the house. Enough to get us through a winter/spring, untill the next growing season. We have the chickens,turkeys, and various fruits and berries. I guess, the flats for the canning jars would be hard to come by after a while. Hmmmm....guess thats something everyone might want to think about buying in bulk! I keep several containers of salt ( like 10 to 15) Bags of sugar,flour( 5 to 10 each) and coffee....Ohhh, MUST have the coffee!! We store flour,salt,sugar stuff like that in rubbermaid tubs, to keep the mice out. These stack great in the basement. Everything is dated with a black marker when purchased, and rotated. We have a pond, small but would be OK unless there was a drought. We have a well...but its capped. I think I would be able to get into it if need be. Our only issue would be feeding the animals. I dont keep more than 1 month supply of feed, because of the possibilities of drawing "critters" Altho, DH is building me a few crates to start keeping feed bags in. THese will be stored in a dry building, up off the floor..and tight fit lid. My goal is to be able to store enough feed for the animals for the winter months. ( November through March) We have a wood stove, a large box ( over 200 now) candles( I buy them after the holidays when they are 75 to 90% off), several Kerosene lamps, and a few bottles of lamp oil, I guess depending on the "disaster" We would be OK.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We would be okay for a few months here with all the food I have in the pantry, along with all the wheat & my hand crank grinder. We have a genorator to use on the freezers(although I would not use it at night), I have a propane grill on my patio to cook with & 2 tanks of propane for it. Plus we have the travel trailer here too with 2 larger propane tanks & a propane fridge & freezer in it that needs a battery that we have a solar panel to keep it charged up. We have oil lamps(3) & a few bottles of oil to keep them going along with candles too. A few flashlights too & a battery supply that is good. The chickens & duck would be let out to free range & the ram could be too without any problems to strech their feed way out. the cattle would be the problem for feed although we would probobly slaughter the big one after awhile as the family started running out of meat. We have tons of quail around here to hunt also along with rabbits too. And my garden & orange trees, the only problem I see is if the water supply is cut off, then we are in a world of hurt for water here in the desert. We try to keep a 55gal barrel of water for the animals in case, but that would not last long or do any good for the garden to feed use vegies or the trees. The heat could be a major problem for summer too, although if we shade the windows & sleep during the day & do our work & things at night we would be better off. I do have 1 battery operated fan that is bigger & 2 small ones so I would need more(wonder if the dollar store has them again?). We have a invertor to hook the tv up to a car battery & be able to watch movies! Battery operated radios & clocks too! So if we have running water we could last a very long time over 6 mos! As my freezers got less & less in them they would all be condensed into one to save on the gas usage for the generator. Make a screen dehydrator & dehydrate & can from the garden.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
People would quickly adapt to working very hard in the daylight hours and sleeping at night~just like it used to be!
We already work hard during the day so we have the evening hours to do stuff in the house. Kids hate that they have certain chores that have to be done before certain meals. :lol:

I wouldn't mind going to bed as first dark and up at first light. That's the normal cycle of things. Imagine how well rested we would all be if we went with a natural cycle of things!

We would be OK if a natural disaster hit. Animals would scrounge and fend for themselves and the dog would have to eat scraps (not that he'd mind). I think people don't realize how easy it is to survive with little. If they are already used to living with very little and little means, then those people who are used to doing without already and working hard for their meals or whatever are the ones who would survive a disaster.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We'd be okay for maybe as long as a year. I don't have more than a month's worth of animal feed but the chickens would rather have people food than chicken food anyway and the dogs and cats would be just as pleased to find kitchen scraps and hunt for mice and bunnies. The horses.....I don't know what we'd do about the horses.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I guess, the flats for the canning jars would be hard to come by after a while.

justusnak

you made me think of something. In old times, there was no "go to the store and buy lids" for canning jars.

So how did they do "lids" to the jars in the old times? I never thought to check how old timers would close off their jars when there was no Ball Company to make them..LOL

Just wondering?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think the idea of 'canning' came with the canning jars...the older canning jars had glass lids with (reusable?) gaskets.
Before that they must have dried and salted most of thier food.
Just my guess

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I guess, the flats for the canning jars would be hard to come by after a while.

justusnak

you made me think of something. In old times, there was no "go to the store and buy lids" for canning jars.

So how did they do "lids" to the jars in the old times? I never thought to check how old timers would close off their jars when there was no Ball Company to make them..LOL

Just wondering?
Wouldn't that have been when they sealed with wax? You know before I knew any better I reused my flat lids a couple of different times. They sealed fine. I am still alive anyways. If I needed to I would use them again.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yup...sealed with wax. My grandma sealed her jelly and jam that way.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can use wax for jams and jellies but it wouldn't work for anything else and certainly not the pressure canning that I do. Really wish I had some of those old jars with the gaskets and metal locks.