How long would you make it??

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ETR

yea I am the same way. My mind is thinking super easy storage and NO power used and no possible loss with dehydrating versus freezer.

yes I will still freeze, but imagine having dehydrated veggies like corn, etc. to put into stews, along with dehydrated meats.....so simple to make stew, soups, and reconstitute the meats and veggies in water. Seems like a real possibly it would be a great avenue to check into more.

I need to process a goat soon. I have 2 bucks that were born to Snowball...instead of going to the sale I am probably going to process them for the family. I need a reload on my meats and want to do some smoking goat on the smoker..yummy!! I too want to look more into dehydrating meat also.

seems like a smart option for true survival situations...and just easier and cheaper storage of foods.

More research for me also on this. I do dry my Roma tomatoes in the sun in summer here...but that is a far cry from learning how to do all veggies and meats. Time for some education..LOL

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I would last the duration. I can carry water and make a fire from lint if I have to. Food may get scarce but you will find that many many people will pass up anything that they don't want to eat... they are almost unable to recognize it as food. (cause I don't eat that ... insert whiny voice of choice) Once I learned that I can get the stuff I need off the land, much of it even in the winter, I learned that I wouldn't die of lack. I can make a root cellar and have seed from the summer before. I am not making any superwoman claims right now, I just feel that I can make a home for myself with the help of my husband and family. I am big at deligation ... lol.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup. I have enough to last to the next harvest, no matter when disaster strikes. We won't eat everything we like to, but we would eat. I guess I could go a year on what I have in the house, and dh would finally lose that weight! :lol: I would start scrounging immediately, not waiting for the storage to run low. Not sure how long it would be until I started eyeing the squirrels, though. Probably pretty quick, to feed the dog and cats! :D

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This would only apply in northern regions, but I have read about meat storage via digging down to where the ground is frozen and making an undergrond fridge. I read about this in Jean Auels Mammoth Hunters, so I have no practical experience witht this, but someone may need/use this info someday.
Another method of long term meat storage would be building a smokehouse...got the gist of this from the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
We are somewhat prepared for emergencies. Lots of canned goods, fishing gear, ammo, etc. I was in Royal Rangers for a while and we did lots of survival campouts, so a lot of basic woodcraft knowledge keeps me from worrying too much.

BTW, the Foxfire books are full of invaluable articles for SS and survival tecniques.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nothing to hunt around here.
If things were to totally go to heck, I could live off of my neighbors abandoned cats and dogs for quite some time :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hey, not my first choice....but you gotta do what you gotta do!