How long would you make it??

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
There was a lot of drying, curing and smoking back then. Fruits and veggies were dried and reconstituted for stews and pot pies and fruit pies. Also alot of pickling in crocks. Funny how they used so much salt back then and didn't have the health fall-out from it....could it be they sweated so much salt out that it didn't matter? :p Milks, creams and butters were stored in spring houses, submerged in a running stream...how simple! Cellars were well used back then as well.

When we were off grid, we canned around 150 qts of corn(and all the other veggies and fruits) and the remaining ears were eaten with meals and made into pickled corn. One year Dad found two huge wooden whiskey barrels. We used one to catch rainwater and one filled to the brim with pickled corn. I can still remember that it was the best pickled corn I'd ever eaten....had a special "bite" to it!!! :p

The other whiskey barrel filled with rainwater was used for washing our hair and bodies. Remember back in the seventies when beer shampoo was all the rage? Well, we used to brag we had all the benefits of beer shampoo, only better! :lol:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I had the same thought about the salt, but I really think salt was different back then...it used to be real...now it's over porcessed and the only thing left in it is sodium...like everything else I guess. You can buy real salt at a health food store but it is terribly expensive.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I buy a 5lb bag of sea salt from the organic co we order from for only $1.90.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
People were also more active and didn't have the problems "modern" man has from fats, salt, and more.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
I buy a 5lb bag of sea salt from the organic co we order from for only $1.90.
Just becuase it's organic seasalt doesn't mean it is any better for you, it has been processed to death to and is about equal to table salt.

Here's some salt info, and there is much more on the web:
http://www.internet-grocer.net/salt.htm

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been avoiding this question because of how ill-prepared I actually am :(

Well, let's say there was an earthquake/typhoon and the house is still semi-standing. All the roads are closed, no electric or water.

1. Food- 2 weeks supply, plus maybe 2 weeks of perishables.

2. Water- the stream runs year round and there is no giardia, but would filter it till the filter clogged, after filter is shot, then boil to be safe, indefinite supply.

3. Heating fuel- Only have 1 week seasoned wood on hand at the moment, my main shed is at work 20 miles away(bummer) That's to keep the house at about 65-70F, could extend that. Could use the car gas to run the chainsaws and burn downed and green wood, would be tough but not impossible, could forage for downed branches.

4. Cooking - Can cook in the woodstove :( /outside if neccesary or use the car gas for the MSR multifuel single burner cookstove.

5. Lighting- usually have a few gallons of kerosene on hand for the lamps, have about a gross of 5 hr. candles. ( 1 month?)

Final Answer:

4 weeks or more with house semi-intact

a few days in tents
If the house is gone but we're still around by some miracle, can dig the big coleman tents and sleeping bags out of the shed and live in them. It all hinges on the house being OK it seems.

Need to do's:

food(at least 1 week) and hunting/fishing cache in shed

learn more on foraging of local wild veg

build another woodshed

and keep the existing shed fully stocked (don't be lazy)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
So far, four days.

We are borrowing a generator and can get to town to buy fuel for it so I'm not sure how valid our "making it" is.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Food: We have probably a 6-7 month supply,easy.
Water: We have a well as long as I can get even a little bit of power,we are G to G.
Heat: We have a small propane heater(fake wood burner) in the basement. It is enough to keep the pipes from freezing so I think we could survive.
Cooking: We have several options. Propane grill, the large smoker has a grill/griddle on it,and we can heat stuff up on that little heater in the basement.
Lighting: We have oil for the lamps and a ton of candles,which would also help the heat situation a bit.

Our one weak link is the propane tank. For now it is only a 330 gallon and it would have to run the generator to keep the freezers going. For now I could run the generator just enough to keep the freezers cold to stretch out the propane usage and to stop any spoilage. I plan on BUYING a larger propane tank in the near future.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dac-- good to hear your hanging in there. I was watching the news today. They where showing all the fallen trees and impassable roads. I hope you get me power soon. Take care. :)