How many chickens do you have? Or if your Wifezilla how many ducks?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 15 hens and a nice Roo

2 Barred Rocks
2 Brahmas (1 buff 1 dark)
2 Golden Comets
2 Rhode Island Reds
2 EE hens
1 EE Roo
3 Buff Orps (psycho chickens)
2 SUPPOSED to be Jersey Giants, but one I think is a black Australorp

Also 21 cornish x that I am currently planning their demise.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have 7 pullets right now-all White Plymouth Rocks. I got them on October 24th. I think 4 are laying right now off and on. The most eggs in one day they have laid was 3, so maybe even 5 are laying. They are about 7 months old. They are my boys' ladies, I just supervise and do all the work. :p

I plan on getting more-at least 5 more. Right now, they lay enough eggs for my boys to eat a couple almost every day. I still supplement their eggs with ones I buy from a local health place. (Free range, local.) The boys get the eggs first, since it is their "business". I will eventually buy my eggs from them. :)

Their names are:

Yksi (ixsy-Finnish for 1)
Kitty (cause I love calling "Here Kitty, Kitty, since I will never have a cat!)
Booger (We call her Boogs though)

(These ones, my boys named. Can you tell what is on their minds 95% of the time?):

Almond
Coconut

Curry
Chili

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I have 30...28 layers and 2 roos. One roo will be given to a friend soon, a couple of older hens will be given to someone who wants a few pet chickens, and the rest of my older flock are going to be culled for raw dog food soon...one per day until all the freeloaders are gone.

Then I will have one roo and 18 hens.
Even the Aussies?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I may keep my oldest gal, just for kicks and giggles. :p I would really like to have more Aussies and may add some to the flock in the future....they are certainly the most all around great breed that I can think of.

Eggs, meat, hardiness, beauty, personality....what more could one ask for in a bird?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I may keep my oldest gal, just for kicks and giggles. :p I would really like to have more Aussies and may add some to the flock in the future....they are certainly the most all around great breed that I can think of.

Eggs, meat, hardiness, beauty, personality....what more could one ask for in a bird?
Do they cook and clean too?

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
5 fabulously productive EEs, 26 black stars nearing point of lay, and 1 rooster too many. :lol:

I tried to sell 10 of the black stars on Craigslist to free up a little room in the coop (and in my feed budget), but now that they are ready to lay, I did the math and found out they are worth more to me to just keep them now.

This rooster is the meanest one I've had yet. He's good looking, but too full of chicken testosterone!!! I've had no luck with roosters. Into the pot he goes!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
1 Barred Rock
1 Mexican Fighting Hen, that goes in to stores/runs errands with my mom
1 Buff Brahma bantee
1 Polish, non bearded
2 Black Langshans (LOVE LOVE)
2 White Brahmas (Show quality, love)
1 Blue Wynadotte
1 Cuckoo Maran, whos just as cuckoo. When my puppy does his runs, she runs in front of him instead of hiding in the bushes.

Thats 10, in a suburban backyard. This years first rain was the worst stink of our lives, ugh.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My favorite time of the year besides Christmas is Spring because I get to order baby chickens. My chicken list is longer than any Christmas list :p. I know my Doms are still good but I plan on selling them (to make room for some more). But If get a few of em to set a clutch I will keep them and their babies.
I want Buff Orpis, Aussies, New Hamps and maybe Mottled Javas.

Latest posts