How many square feet is your garden?

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How many square feet is your garden area?

Ours will be 672 square feet of actual plantable space not counting the rows to walk in when its all said and done (raised beds that we're still expanding out). Granted we have some pots of various herbs on the porch too that we're gonna pull in during the winter.

Do you just eat from the garden while its ripe or do you have enough excess to can, etc and use it to sustain you or completely provide for you and your family throughout the year?

I know its more in how you utilize your space (soil quality,spacing of plants etc) than the actual square footage but I just thought it'd be fun to see what everyone has! :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
The main bed in front is about 800 sq f I think. Then I have 2-3 times that in raised beds and tires.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hard to tell here as only two of the gardens are rectangular, one of those is 1500 sq ft and the other is about 450 sq ft. Then there are several herb gardens, the strawberry patch, raspberries, two apple and one pear tree, fiddleheads that I'm establishing, the black cherry and sugar maples, black walnuts and one butternut tree, grapes, etc. I have food tucked in everywhere, even in my flower gardens.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
about 1800 sq feet, all three beds combined.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
we just started, and only have a fraction of what I eventually want. Right now we have 135 in raised beds, some baby blueberries and raspberries along the fence, 2 apples, a plum and a chokecherry. I'm currently building a couple of smallish cold frames for some greens in midwinter.

So far the only things we've been able to put up are apples, and this year I'm going to do something with the chokecherries since I finally found some recipes.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The main bed is 40'x70' so 2800 sq ft there, plus 10 raised beds that are 3'x6' so another 180 sq ft plus 4 semi truck tires and 16 regular truck tires. I guess just over 3000 sq ft total actual garden space. We also have 6 grape vines that divide the front yard from the side yard. Plus we have about 10' on either side of our driveway that is about 600 ft long that we are turning into orchard space. Currently we only have 4 apple trees plants there.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
960, I think, but that includes the walking paths. Had squash in raised beds elsewhere, but I ended up losing them to squash bugs (again).
Last year I had cabbage and other things tucked in all over the place, but it was a real hassle dragging a garden hose all over to water, so this year I decided to plant just in the main area. The water hydrants sure aren't where I need them. :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well we have 4 4x8 raised beds so theres 128sqft right there
then we have berry bushes along the fenceline (4 blueberry and about 6 various raspberries) and 6 grape vines along another fenceline and 2 appletrees (3 of the grapes, al the berries and the 2 apple trees are new this year) and a couple of hanging home made topsy turvy planters.
weve got enough tomatoes to probably make a couple of salsas to freeze and a couple jars of pasta sauce this year, but otherwise its thus far been mostly an eat it as you pick it kinda garden.
thought we might end up with enough zuccini and squash to do some soups/canning with.

its not big, but we use the square foot method and its enough for us for our first year with an actual dedicated veggie space.

next year planning on adding a long 1ft wide bed along the fenceline that the grapes are on on the opposite side of the grapes to grow squash or mellons vertically to give us more space in the beds next year for other things as the squash obviously are rambling all over the place.
and dad wants to do some potatoe beds, im wondering what the best way to do that would be without dedicating space in the main beds. buckets, tires?

once i get my own place i also plant ot start small on the vegatables probably 4 4x8 beds, and expand with 4 new raised beds each year...i definatly prefer doing the slightly raised beds...its been much easier this year...still have to weed but not as much as we were when we tried this a few years ago.