How many square feet is your garden?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we have 2-4x8 raised beds,1-4x12 bed,a large corn patch,2 squash patchs and a 12 ft row of green beans, not enough to can much out of, but tomatoes. We do have a used green house we just got for a song and hope to get it up in the next few weeks. That will help with starting stuff earlier. We are expending the beds next year as we re-configure our space.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yea I guess I somehow forgot about adding in the apple trees and wild forage! Lol. We actually just found four tomatoe plants we didnt' plant. 3 were in the old chicken run, we assume the last people that lived here feed their chickens tomatoes at some point. And one was in front of the house in a raised bed. Not sure how that one got there!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
last garden I had was about 70 acres of produce.

so someone figure that out for me in square feet please LOL

didn't plant any little garden this year for me. Everyone is giving me tons of produce :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have 2 gardens... 20x25 so 500 sq ft there....and the other is 20x30...so 600 sq ft there. Next year, we plan to at least tripple the size of the big garden...well, thats the plan anyways. LOL This doesn't include the cherry trees, apples, grapes, and berries. :)

S

sunsaver

Impossible to calculate. I have a couple dozen vegetable/flower beds of all shapes and sizes: scalloped beds, oval beds, kidney shaped beds, serpentine beds, etc. Maybe 1/4 acre as a guess. The other 3/4 is heavily forested.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
50x50 plus 8, 4x8 raised beds and 2, 4 x 10 raised beds. The greenhouse is 24 x 8 but 2 foot down the center is an isle.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We built 3 4x12 SFG's this year, but only had enough money to fill two (All the stuff required was very expensive here!). S that's 96 sf. Since this is our 'test' year, to see what grows best where, we planted a little of everything- not enough to do much canning or drying, mostly just fresh eating.

We planted a small row of tomatoes and peppers as a comparison- about 10 foot long (we had to see if the SFG was worth the expense, as opposed to just amending our less than desirable soil).

Also have blueberries, blackberries, rhubarb and grapes planted along our deck; two apple & two pear (established trees); two walnuts, one pecan (one died :( ), a nectarine, two cherries, a peach, two almonds, and another apple in the 'nursery' stage.

Once we settle into our permanent location, we will expand the orchard and garden accordingly.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
1 acre, but that is for 22 families.
Wowza! So do you garden at a community garden then?

Latest posts