How many square feet is your garden?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 3 4x 12 foot, 3 4 x 8 foot and 3 2 x 8 foot beds. so lets see that puts me somewhere near 288 sq feet. This year I also planted outside the box's. ;) That's a hillside about 8 x 50. But the gophers are eating more that we are.
:hu

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
We built 3 4x12 SFG's this year, but only had enough money to fill two (All the stuff required was very expensive here!). S that's 96 sf. Since this is our 'test' year, to see what grows best where, we planted a little of everything- not enough to do much canning or drying, mostly just fresh eating.

We planted a small row of tomatoes and peppers as a comparison- about 10 foot long (we had to see if the SFG was worth the expense, as opposed to just amending our less than desirable soil).

Also have blueberries, blackberries, rhubarb and grapes planted along our deck; two apple & two pear (established trees); two walnuts, one pecan (one died :( ), a nectarine, two cherries, a peach, two almonds, and another apple in the 'nursery' stage.

Once we settle into our permanent location, we will expand the orchard and garden accordingly.
Yea we did the exact square foot gardening "recipe" last year too. It did grow really well but like you said it was expensive!! We tweeked it a little this year. As in, we just did raised beds with the square feet marked but just added in some composted straw bedding to the base then filled it in with some cheaper bagged soil. It's still working really well. And we plan on just composting straight to the beds and doing a little bit of the lasagna gardening thing with them to built them up. Because buying all that stuff for them was too expensive!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Kala- just read up on lasagna gardening. Sounds great! Might try that for next year, so we can expand our garden with less pain in our wallet!

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Kala- just read up on lasagna gardening. Sounds great! Might try that for next year, so we can expand our garden with less pain in our wallet!
We total newbies to the whole process but it seems idiot proof! :lol:

There are lots of people on here very experienced with this type of gardening. And I'm sure searches on here will bring up all kinds of fun threads on it. We like the idea of it b/c I can argue with using free leaves and old beddng with little weeding! ")

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have about 1500 square feet of gardens at the moment. + or - 100 sq ft. I didn't count the tires..or the flower beds, or the nut trees.

Latest posts