How many use and appreciate.......

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
redux said:
I love my planet but there are limits. :sick
I used to think that it was normal at that time of month, to be swollen, sore and even itchy.
Boy howdy did I get a wake up call when I tried out cloth!!
Its all the nasty chemicals in those things, that are used for making htem white, and absorbant that cause it.
Plus, if anyone thinks for a minute that those things are sterile, think again.......

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
It's not a matter of whether they are sterile or not- it's the idea of having all that stuff sloshing around in my washing machine. Ugh. And where do you keep them until you have a full load? I don't even want to imagine it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I love my planet but there are limits.
:gig

THAT!

As for monthly issues, Instead or Diva cup. No waste, nothing to wash. Just rinsing in hot water.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I definitely prefered to use fabric pads. I young friend turned me onto them years ago. I ended upmaking my own using diapers. I just experimented with cutting them to sizes I liked. I sewed the edges on the machine with zigzag stich. Some I embroidered around the edges.
I simply put them in a bucket with water in it and let them soak until I was ready to wash them out by hand before tossing them into the washing machine. I line dry all my laundry most of the time.

I found them sooo much more comfortable. If I was going out or for work I supplemented them with disposable thin pads. One thin pad would last all day, usually. It was just for added to protection. I did not like to have the disposable pad touch my skin. I ended up with so much less skin problems down there, once I switched to cloth.

I also use fabic tp now. We had no money for tp this winter at one point, so I cut up an old t-shirt. I am the only one who uses them, but it saves a lot of tp. I also only use them for #1. I stopped putting tp in the toilet, since it creates backups in our pipes anyway. So it was an easy step for me to go to fabric wipes and not throw them into the toilet.
The only thing I find annoying with them is hanging up all those little sqares on the line :lol:
I can't see myself ever going back to using tp for #1 again.

Now when I go to someone elses house and use the facilities, I always look for a basket, before I realize that it needs to go down the toilet. :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
redux said:
It's not a matter of whether they are sterile or not- it's the idea of having all that stuff sloshing around in my washing machine. Ugh. And where do you keep them until you have a full load? I don't even want to imagine it.
Oh, I am so sorry we did not mention that part.
Nothing sloshes around in the machine!
Pads are placed in a little bucket of cool water placed either under the sink, or at the side of the toilet with a lid.
At the end of the day, you just rinse them out.
No smell, no mess.
And they never stain.

We also do nto keep them for a full load.
Since they are rinsed, they just go in with the towels.

As to the family cloth, they are even easier.
The tiny drops they wipe up are no different then what a pair of undies might get on it by the end of the day.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love the planet too but never doing any of this.
I love TP and my gal stuff lol

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We have a cabinet above the toilet. I found a plastic basket that fits on top of the tank under the cabinet. My cloth tp goes in there. I just toss them in with the laundry. As Bubblingbrooks stated, it is really no different than underwear that gets peed on. I sure didn't worry about it when DD was little and had accidents (lots of them).

As for the feminine pads, it is after all something that came out of my own body, not icky at all. I consider it more like something sacred, since it was intended to start a new life. I do not wish to waste it. I use the rinse water in my flower garden.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I love the planet too but never doing any of this.
I love TP and my gal stuff lol
I love my gal stuff too ;)
1635_pads_002.jpg

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how the cloth ones don't have that peculiar icky smell that the used sposies have?