How many use and appreciate.......

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Has anyone else noticed how the cloth ones don't have that peculiar icky smell that the used sposies have?
For me its the differnce in how they feel, the sposies are just nasty feeling, and I know fleece isn't the best most "green" option, but it feels a million times better than anything else as a topper..

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Internal protection works for me. Pads are icky whether they are cloth or disposable. I don't find menstrual blood any holier than feces, even if it does come from my body. It was meant to be disposed of, not kept in a cabinet all day. I guess I don't get what y'all get out of this. I love the planet too, but I find it ironic that people who will do something like this to be "green" also have no compunctions about having dozens of kids, which kind of defeats the purpose. My contribution to the planet was to not do that. I reproduced myself, and that was it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
redux said:
Internal protection works for me. Pads are icky whether they are cloth or disposable. I don't find menstrual blood any holier than feces, even if it does come from my body. It was meant to be disposed of, not kept in a cabinet all day. I guess I don't get what y'all get out of this. I love the planet too, but I find it ironic that people who will do something like this to be "green" also have no compunctions about having dozens of kids, which kind of defeats the purpose. My contribution to the planet was to not do that. I reproduced myself, and that was it.
I do not even know where to begin with that comment :(

I would suspect that most of us, me included, do not do this to "be green".
And most do not view our flow to be holy.
But we do not view it as filthy either.

I wish I had grown up with using cloth, as I would have saved myself quite a bit of money.

Please understand this next part is not directed at you redux. Its just part of my thought process :)
Sposies are a new item in the grand scheme of things, and though they do have their place, I wonder if they do not perpetuate the thought process that is so very victorian.
One that says the functions of a womens body are filthy. Something to be hidden away, and to be dreaded each month.
Everywhere you look, there is an ad for some new product to "help". Pain relief (real foods and no chemicals end that easily) and the latest in pad or tampon styles.
And BC to totally rid yourself of ever having a cycle.

I would love to have a dozen children, but so far, all I have had are 7 miscarriages.
I am careful with how I treat the earth, but not in the way some may think.
I know it will not last, but I also know that I am to be a good steward of it.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
redux said:
Wow - are you ever in the wrong thread!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
(I have to laugh it off and move on)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
redux wrote:

I do not even know where to begin with that comment
I didn't know either, so I just left it alone.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
redux said:
Wow - are you ever in the wrong thread!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
(I have to laugh it off and move on)
Yeah, really, why continue to poke a stick at us?

Sorry for your loss, BubblingBrook. :hugs

Redux, I have no children either. That was an excessively thoughtless and insensitive comment. And completely untrue.

BBrooks, I started making my own when I read about people having SHORTER and less painful cycles when they switched to cloth. That got me thinking about how certain plastics mimic hormones, how we can absorb these things readily through our skin, and how we have plastic against our skin (or inside our bodies! Eeek!) for several days a month. If your period is longer, you use more supplies. More money for the manufacturers. Plus some of the same companies also make and sell products to deal with PMS and cramps. They are looking out for their own bottom lines, not our health.

Yes, there are many things in life that are unpleasant. Wash your hands and get over it. :D

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am just very glad my husband doesn't doesn't know about these. He would do anything to save money. Great idea in theory, it just requires laundry. I hate laundry.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
I apologize if I offended anyone. It was not my intent. It's just that I see so much hypocrisy sometimes it wears on me.

I will exit your thread.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I got a red plastic coffee "can" from the neighbor. Told hubby "keep it closed- you don't want to know". He knows about my cloth pads, but he thinks that time of month is yucky. Put them in with water and a touch of soap. 20 Mule team was used in diaper buckets for a few generations to get the diapers clean and not stinky, so I put a little bit in.

Don't use fabric softener on the stuff you need to be absorbent though. A little vinegar in the rinse water gets rid of any soap residues so they stay soft. I hand wash them every few days, since I use coin washers for laundry days.

If I'd known about personal cloths when I was single- I would have used them, for pee at least. Still would have kept a roll of tp for the other stuff and for guests. I always got the recycled paper tp. Hubby wont even different brands of tp- he would freak about personal cloths.

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow, I wish I'd known this years ago, my monthly time has well and truly gone.

But tell me more about personal cloths, do you also keep them in a bucket/basket at the side of the toilet, dry in in water, and did someone say about washing them with the towels?

Please tell me how you all deal with this, I use so much tp which is not kind to the septic, so if I can save money on tp and be friendly to the septic it sounds good.

With regard to the other posters comments, I would truly ignore them. Probably the sort that would use disposable diapers. :rant

Anyhow, tell me more please.

Latest posts