How much do you spend on food?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
FarmerChick said:
man I love cheese. all kinds of cheese. I sure eat cheese :lol:
We do, too! Thankful for my bro, who brought us 10 lb of sharp cheddar as a "thank you for letting me hunt" gift :) Whoohoo!
DUUUUUUUDE i would let somebody hunt my chickens for 10 pounds of cheddar!! We only have an acre and a half so no other kinda hunting is really feasible :/ Some folks have all the perks :p

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cheese. Yum.

DS#1 is here on an extended visit. He has very strict dietary 'wants', so our grocery bill has shot up like a rocket. :th Don't get me started...but he's rarely in the states so we'll feed him the way he wants to be fed, ya know?

runsw/scissors, have I welcomed you yet? :frow

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
As we have ended up in a bad financial position recently, I spend about $40 a week for 3 of us, not including the animals. That is incredibly hard to do! I have been collecting coupons because I'm tired of eating the same food every week. I do know how to do the extreme couponing and am trying to get back to it, but I have to build up a huge collection first. I am more than willing to explain it to everyone if you are interested. It is time consuming, but if you dont work, and you spend 30-40$ on 100's worth of food- you are technically making money. I would like to say that I think its wrong to hoard the food the way they do on the show- so if you do get into it- share it with friends and family, and your community! You are going to the store again! You can do it again! It does give you a huge rush, so you will be hooked! And if you aren't interested- do you get the paper? And would you be willing to send me the coupons?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
First off welcome Edjanuary39,

sorry to hear of your finanical situation, but it sounds like you are dealing with feeding myour family in a positive way.

i got back into couponing this last April when I unexpectly was with out work for 6 wk(thank God I have always been a stocker upper, not to be confused with being a hoarder).

Coupons are great if used foe good foods and not junk or things you won't usually buy.

I gather my coupons in a variety of ways:internet,store adds, newspapers(some of which I scavage(sp).

Buy wholesome foods learn to mix them and use sprice to your advantage, This way you and your family are still eat well and at a reduced cost.

Hope things look up for you,but in the mean time take pride that you are feeding your family the best you can.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
edjanuary39 said:
As we have ended up in a bad financial position recently, I spend about $40 a week for 3 of us, not including the animals. That is incredibly hard to do! I have been collecting coupons because I'm tired of eating the same food every week. I do know how to do the extreme couponing and am trying to get back to it, but I have to build up a huge collection first. I am more than willing to explain it to everyone if you are interested. It is time consuming, but if you dont work, and you spend 30-40$ on 100's worth of food- you are technically making money. I would like to say that I think its wrong to hoard the food the way they do on the show- so if you do get into it- share it with friends and family, and your community! You are going to the store again! You can do it again! It does give you a huge rush, so you will be hooked! And if you aren't interested- do you get the paper? And would you be willing to send me the coupons?
I'm sorry to hear that and agree with your opinion. I have a friend who buys loads at our local St. Vinny's and then resells online. I know it's legal, but it bugs me, too, since it's taking the cheap clothing away from those it was intended for.

I hope things look up for you. Can you possibly garden next year? Do you have veggie/fruit farmers near you? I'm giving away food right and left this time of year since my markets are done and I don't want it going to waste. Just bought 2 paper grocery sacks of apples (2nds) from an apple farmer for $5 each!! Perhaps you can find farmers like this who would rather go cheap than throw it away? My best wishes to you.

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
edjanuary39 said:
I'm sorry to hear that and agree with your opinion. I have a friend who buys loads at our local St. Vinny's and then resells online. I know it's legal, but it bugs me, too, since it's taking the cheap clothing away from those it was intended for.

I hope things look up for you. Can you possibly garden next year? Do you have veggie/fruit farmers near you? I'm giving away food right and left this time of year since my markets are done and I don't want it going to waste. Just bought 2 paper grocery sacks of apples (2nds) from an apple farmer for $5 each!! Perhaps you can find farmers like this who would rather go cheap than throw it away? My best wishes to you.
Things will get better soon, thanks though! Yes we have 10 acres we are buying-which is one of those things-buy a house and it falls apart all of the sudden! - but yes my friend lives 3 miles away and we are going to 'crop share' and each grow different things to share, so we make the most of our space and time.and then can it! I also have tons of ideas! Thank you for yours! I will check around, every now and then I get a couple dozen aggs for free- one are still pullets, so waiting. I agree with you about your friend, there are so many struggling, and I think when people dont see it in their everyday lives, it is kind of invisible to them. I worked in a nasty scummy apartment complex that was section 8 only. And it was so sad to see them taken advantage of! They were mostly disabled and mentally handicap. The owner was a slumlord and I got fired because I made the place too nice! And I understand canning and being sedlf sufficient, and that's my goal, so part of that is stocking up, but hoarding is quite different. And that show about the couponers is mostly hoarders. So for anyone I offended, im sorry and I hope that clears it up some!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ed - :hugs Hang in there.

Years ago, DH took the last bit of our money to head to another city for a job search - he stayed at my mother's house, poor guy. Anyway, I had exactly $25 to feed 3 little kids and myself for two weeks. Not much on the shelves at that point, either. I made it a challenge (boy, it was, too) and the kids thought they were in hog heaven eating hot dogs, grilled cheese sands and tomato soup, french toast, etc.

But when DH came back with no job, we had to make that humiliating call to a relative to borrow $ for groceries. I was hating life. Things did get better, so just hang on.

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Marianne! I dont want to sound like a complainer, b/c we feel really blessed! This is the worst we've been finacially- and yes that call to grandma was humbling! But from that I confirmed that my families love isn't hindered by money- which so many people dont have! Would have never happened on the other side of my family. So that has been an eye opener! How great to be loved! We have learned to be quite creative- just when I think I can't make dinner with what we have- I make a dinner that my husband says I should make all the time! I have lots of ideas that I plan on starting in 2 weeks or so-when money allows- I know how to make those cute bows the girls wear- and some sell for $20! Mine won't be that expensive, but that's what they are going for! Crazy! -also I can tell you how if you want to learn! Super easy! Also we are hoping the new feather fad holds out for us to get in on it! I can sell the feathers for $5 a piece! Just need to get some boys almost ready to meat their Maker, that's always easy. And my big one is to learn to tan hides! My 'crop share ' friend has a processor friend, who just throws the skins away! So I think I can get them for free or at least cheap. We should be able to make that profitable enough to make that savings account look happy! And dont forget canning in the summer! And im stealing others ideas from the great people here- soap, detergent, and the like! I'm going to be so busy! But how rewarding! And I hope to make money to cover my ventures and put a bit in my pocket! I'm going to buy a shiny new pair of boots when I do! So to all who struggle- you can get through with lots of prayer and love! And you can get on top too! Alot of these ventures aren't super expensive, but time consuming, so make it fun! Turn up the radio and enjoy it! and my other big goal is to make baskets for my husbands HUGE family (9 aunts and uncles-not married couples, grandma had 10) make them baskets with all my homemade goods for Christmas next year, Doug makes awesome salsa, soaps, canned veggies, and whatever I do. His parents are with the Lord, so all he has had for many years has been the uncles, so for the last few years I make my favorite ones a 'secret pie' for Christmas, so man, pie, I won't get out of that! I'm even thinking- probably won't actually follow through after I got a good tip where to get super cheap baskets- but I was going to make my own baskets- another pretty easy thing for me- but I was going to grow especially for baskets! A bit crazy!

mythreesons

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Bringing new life into a old thread....Wondering how everyone is doing 2 yrs later?

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mythreesons said:
Bringing new life into a old thread....Wondering how everyone is doing 2 yrs later?
Well, the end of December 2012 my husband "retired" rather than moving to South Carolina with the company he was with for over 30 years. He is now going to school full time. He decided to do something entirely different than an Electronic Design Engiineer. He is taking a 2 year course to be a Paralegal. Thankfully he gets a pension, and some help from VRAP, (Veterans Benefits for unemployed Veterans while they are in school) it will only pay for one year. But, that is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I am trying to spend less than $300.00 a month for food. We seem to be doing ok so far.

Thanks for asking!!