1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on food?

Discussion in 'Financial Management & Budgeting' started by k15n1, May 10, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2013
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

My biggest drain is my daughter's old pony. I'm spending $80/month just on his food! And, I found an old receipt from a year ago. The price of what I'm feeding the other 2 has almost doubled in cost in a year!

2. Feb 24, 2013
    wooddustmaker

wooddustmaker Lovin' The Homestead

Interesting thread for me to read. Went from living in a 2 person household to a 5 person, over the course of a divorce, and a re marriage. Does make a huge difference. I won't include animal feed cocts, since around our house, they are all "babies," and pets. I know they eat a lot. If they teach the kids some responsibility, than it is worth it.

Times are tougher. Wages have gone down, and prices have gone up. There is no way, or need to sugar coat it. I am the bargain hunter in the house. We do not coupon, as we never see any for things we would use. We have worked hard to get the pantry to a point where we can wait for things to go on sale. The wife used to manage a grocery store, so she knows their game. Was looking at the local store ad today. Their case lot sale starts next week. Wait a week, save some bucks. I don't feel like you have to coupon, so to say, as much as you need to pay attention. These sales run in cycles. Use them to your advantage. To build up a
    "stockpile'" so to speak, buy 1 or 2 extras of what you normally use. It is truely amazing how fast it will stack up. You don't have to break the bank to do it either. The simple method of "store what you eat, eat what you store" is a real, honest lifes lesson. That is what works.

Living in a new place should produce a bigger, better garden. Hoping for the "6 million dollar garden." More good food for us, and hopefully sell some excess, at a fair price to others. Self suffiency is a lifestyle, and it takes work, more for some, than others. It does require some sacrifice, but it is well worth it in the end.

3. Feb 24, 2013
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

We're pretty much the same here as we were 2 years ago, but we've added a mouth or two here and there. Right now we're back down to 4 mouths to feed. I won't even talk about the animals, but they have been eating a lot of free food too, but I have cows now, where i did not 2 years ago. so, a few things have changed, but we're actually running about the same as we were.

4. Feb 25, 2013
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

We have 2 more kids, so things have changed for us, too. We've moved to a proper homestead (5 acres) so it's been hectic lately and we've spent more on food in the last few months. I'm hoping to get back to my more-frugal ways this spring.

5. Feb 25, 2013
    me&thegals

me&thegals A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover

This time of year we could get by on $0/week, but it averages out to more like $25/week for a 4-person household. We have 3 freezers full of food and a pantry stocked pretty well with more, plus our walk-in cooler for our CSA is also storing root veggies, bulk citrus and wheat berries. We still spend $ on treats, things like BP, BS and salt, chocolate, coffee, tea, spices, paper products, etc.

6. Feb 28, 2013
    mikethemerchant

mikethemerchant Sustainable Newbie

My food bill avg over the last year has been around 5%...

I eat a lot deer meat, and we butcher a pig once a year.

Depending on the year we have lots of veggies from the garden.

If you would like step by step instructions or to check out what I have done.

CHECK THIS OUT: mikethemerchant.tumblr.com

7. Feb 12, 2014
    Plantress

Plantress Power Conserver

So it took me a bunch of pages before I realized I was reading posts from 2011. So how do you feel now? I spend over 100 a week for the two of us and that is with no stock up. My extra supplies are way down, this has been a hard winter for us. I have switched to aldis for now. Butter at 2.59 a pound this week.

8. Feb 12, 2014
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

We have a brand new Aldi's that just opened up in the area - I haven't been there yet. Do you find their prices much better than other stores in your area?

9. Feb 13, 2014
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

Aldi's as a whole are very reasonably priced. Depending on location, it could save you a ton. We actually don't have them here unless I want to drive an hour, but I have TONS of friends who shop Aldi's and they report some GREAT deals!

10. Feb 20, 2014
    pinkfox

pinkfox Super Self-Sufficient

aldi is great for milk and for canned goods, boxed goods and snack foods are about normally priced, produce is about right but the quality can be hit or miss...but stocking up on cans...PERFECT.

my currently grocery bill is $78 a month