how much for your farm eggs?

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
donrae said:
I plan to charge $3 a dozen in a month or so. At $2, I'm not even breaking even with feed, seems like. I'm in southern Oregon.

Re: puny mutant eggs----when I see store eggs now, my thoughts are "Nazi eggs". Seriously, don't they look like the Master Race of eggs? *shudder*
:lol: :gig :lol: :lol:

Yes! They do! :lol:
I have seriously turned into an "egg snob." We had a local restraunt bring us a complimentary breakfast of some egg scramble. I took one look at the pale eggs and said, "no thanks." They were not even appealing in the least bit. Even if I didn't have chickens of my own, I would pay someone the $3.00 for farm fresh; free range or not.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It does spoil one to have those rich, orange yolks for years and then be presented with an egg-like substance with it's horrible sulfur smell and pale coloring. I have become an egg snob as well but I really can't help it...one can't help but compare and snurl up the nose at the impostor, lying there in wait for unsuspecting humans. :sick

I'd like to see a food place serve real eggs for several months and then switch them out for the Master Race and see what the patron's reactions would be. Would be a fun experiment, wouldn't it?

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just raised my price a week ago from $1.50 to $2.00. My poorest customer said I should do it. This was after a 2 month complete lack of eggs. We will see if the sales drop. Guys at DH work will gladly pay but I have yet to see some of my regulars since I put the new price on my sign. My costs have risen quite a bit and I have ordered new chicks so no winter shut down next year. I was just going to go up a quarter but then if costs keep going up I would have to do it again. Have ordered roosters this time and hope I don't have to purchase chicks. Still have to feed them until point of lay.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I charge $3/doz and that's barely covering feed cost. Not organic, but free-range. One customer gives me $4, because she said she thinks they're worth more. :) Just got a new customer...a coworker of DH's says she can't eat white eggs so she wants to buy my brown eggs. Ok, they're not any different really, but ok by me! :p

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Just got a new customer...a coworker of DH's says she can't eat white eggs so she wants to buy my brown eggs. Ok, they're not any different really, but ok by me! :p
I've found that a lot. There are people here that won't touch a green egg because they are convinced they are rotten. Even if they watched them being laid. I've even had a woman tell me that my eggs couldn't possibly be "home grown" because they were white and only commercial egg factories were able to bleach eggs white.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had one person buy a dozen green eggs off of me, tell me they were good, but didn't want more cuz they were green.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Makes me think of my husband...he won't eat the holiday oreos with the colored icing centers becouse they taist funny! Not the flavored- just colored. Like red for valentines day, green for st patrics day, ect...:hu

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Just got a new customer...a coworker of DH's says she can't eat white eggs so she wants to buy my brown eggs. Ok, they're not any different really, but ok by me! :p
I've found that a lot. There are people here that won't touch a green egg because they are convinced they are rotten. Even if they watched them being laid. I've even had a woman tell me that my eggs couldn't possibly be "home grown" because they were white and only commercial egg factories were able to bleach eggs white.
:lol:

People are so funny! If I thought commercial egg producers bleached their eggs I wouldn't eat them either!!!

I love the multicolored eggs that I get from my friend, opening the carton is like easter in every box! I never know what colors or shapes they're going to be!!

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Wannabefree said:
:lol: I only can charge $2 because mine mostly free range in the summer time. WAY less feed!
Yes, but free range eggs are more valuable, nutrition-wise. Summer could be when you make a little profit! (or at least come closer to break-even):rolleyes:
When i read your post i thought..... you should be charging MORE for free-range eggs,not less. In my part of the woods, Organic free range eggs go anywhere from $3-5/dozen depending. If they arent100% free range or100% organic then maybe $2.00 at the lowest. I get eggs from 2 different ladies. The one is Organic Free range and hers are 2.50/dozen and they are pretty good size eggs, mostly all browns tho. THis may sound stupid, but the other lady i get them from isnt 100% organic or free range, but she has always such nice eggs, and pretty colors too. I like opening up my egg carton and seeing pink, green, bluish-green, brown and everyother color there is too!!! I know....silly, but iprefer getting eggs from the lady with all different color ones. And they are .50cents more/dozen than the first lady. But the yolks always seem to be more orangish when i get the multi-color eggs from the one lady, so i tend to go to her for my eggs.

NOw that easter is coming up i have to go to the STORE to buy eggs. YIKES!!!! Those things look nasty now that ive been getting NICE Farm-fresh eggs :D

ETA: Gosh, my post sounded like a city-person... all those Pretty colored eggs.....
* No offense to city-people- just dont want to sound like one....cuz im not....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I was away, they had free breakfast at the hotel. I took one look at the nasty, pale looking scrambled eggs, and passed on them. Those were NOT eggs.