how much for your farm eggs?

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Most of my customers pay $5 a dozen, but the ones at DH work pay $6 delivered weekly. Feed is over $20 for a 50 pound bag. For the past 2 months the girls have really been sand bagging. Now they are finally pulling their weight.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I charge 3.00/dozen. I sometimes look at the store prices. I'm not beating the before tax price for sure, but I don't try to compete with the store because if someone wants something cheaper than me, I tell them to buy the store bought eggs, if they don't mind the taste difference. Its not a problem. I still can't keep eggs long anyway.
I haven't been selling lately though. I really make my money by incubating eggs and selling chicks and thats why I've been doing without eggs myself. But now I can start to satisfy my customers again.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I pay $2.00/doz from a friend of mine, not completely organic, but I know the chickens are happy.
From the farmer up the road we pay $2.50/doz for XL eggs.

Have no idea what price they are in the store... we only buy them from friends or farms! There is nothing like opening up my friend's cartons and finding all different colors! Its like Easter in every carton!

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I only have 2 customers. They pay $3.00 per dozen, mixed size/color. The first customer happily set the price and the 2nd customer happily followed along.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We charge $3 and get a fight from sale barn people but if we're ten feet away in town then nobody even blinks. Wal-Mart and Kroger charge $3.50 and $4 for their free range cage free large brown eggs so we're still cheaper. The Sale Barn is like a junk sale most of the time. People want you to pay them to take your stuff. But sometimes intelligent people come along. I actually managed to get asking price on a fully-pedigreed SQ Lionhead buck last week.

I've been asking $5 a doz on hatching eggs because it's so cold and we gotta go without sleep or anything else to practically live in the coop and catch the ten hens laying. People freak about that and it's less than $0.50 a chick! And I have pure Australorp eggs sired by a blue ribbon rooster. Luckily most people are willing to pay for an Australorp around here; they beat the pants off most of the other "locally popular" breeds in meat and laying.

Usually the price of fresh eggs is about $2-$3 varying between areas.

HWC

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
:lol: I only can charge $2 because mine mostly free range in the summer time. WAY less feed!
Yes, but free range eggs are more valuable, nutrition-wise. Summer could be when you make a little profit! (or at least come closer to break-even):rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
donrae said:
I plan to charge $3 a dozen in a month or so. At $2, I'm not even breaking even with feed, seems like. I'm in southern Oregon.

Re: puny mutant eggs----when I see store eggs now, my thoughts are "Nazi eggs". Seriously, don't they look like the Master Race of eggs? *shudder*
:lol: :gig :lol: :lol:

Yes! They do! :lol:

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
3.75 is what our farm is sellig them at. raw milk 6.00 a gallon and heavy cream 5.00 an 8 oz jar.