How to de-smellify plastic?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I am wondering if minty would overtake pepperty LOL

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Plastic is quite porous. Plastic is often made by reacting small hydrocarbon molecules so that they form chains. But the reactions do not come to completion for many reasons that cannot be physically avoided. Hence, the "new car smell", which is ethene and short volatile hydrocarbon chains and rings that form in the plastic-making process.

Heating up the pastic may even make the problem worse.

Think dilution. Wash it 5-7 times with reasonably warm water and soap.

If that isn't adequate, get a glass or metal container.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made the mistake of storing garlic in a plastic container. After trying vinegar, baking soda, bleach, and even sunshine, I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing I can do except continue to use that particular container for garlic and nothing else. Sorry.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Boil a potato in it. The potato absorbs the smell. I wouldn't eat the potato afterward though :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have read that a way to get the musty smell out of old books (not the nice, old book smell, but when they have been damp and maybe a bit mildew-y) is to but them in a closed box with lots of crumpled newspaper, and leave for awhile, like several weeks. I don't know if that would help with plastic, but it might be worth a shot. First though I would try making a thick baking soda paste, and smearing it over the plastic; again leave for quite awhile, maybe in the sun.

SillySoap

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Charcole brickets might work if you put it in a sealed bag with a couple. We used this when a freezer had thawed & went funky before finding it.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Boil a potato in it. The potato absorbs the smell. I wouldn't eat the potato afterward though :lol:
?? Uh...like maybe with water in the microwave? :hu

Remember, the glass itself doesn't stink, just the plastic attached to the jar-top. I've tried baking soda paste, bleach, detergent, & yesterday I let it soak in vinegar. Maybe I'll let it sit out in the sun tomorrow.

I only spent a buck on it, but hate to give up on such a nice jar!! :/

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Wannabefree said:
?? Uh...like maybe with water in the microwave? :hu

Remember, the glass itself doesn't stink, just the plastic attached to the jar-top. I've tried baking soda paste, bleach, detergent, & yesterday I let it soak in vinegar. Maybe I'll let it sit out in the sun tomorrow.

I only spent a buck on it, but hate to give up on such a nice jar!! :/
I rememeber my parents doing the newspaper wrap, putting it in a plastic bag, and then into the freezer for a few weeks.

If you have access to an ozone machine though, that is the very best at getting odors out for good.