How to lose a few pounds/inches without any radical diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, I confess, I've tried everything from the baby food diet to the Master Cleanse and am just now angrily ending the 4 Hour Body's Slow Carb diet two days early on grounds of it's obviously being complete b.s. (not an inch or a pound after 28 days on the plan!!).

I'm not overweight at all, in fact I'm within normal limits on everything, but my clothes no longer fit and I'm damned if I think getting older has to mean getting fatter (and in any case, I'm only 35 for crying out loud).

I feel like I may have terminally screwed up my metabolism by messing with it cruelly in the old days, not eating for a week and losing 10 pounds in that time, for example. I'm afraid that my body is just not able to respond to healthy requests at this point and fear for the day when I truly am overweight and am unable to do anything to change it.

Some tips?? I'm an active woman, don't over-eat, and am a moderate drinker, if that helps. Thanks!:)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Alcohol will put the weight on everytime...esp wine and beer. I bet you would lose 10 pounds easily if you don't drink at all for the next two weeks.

Fibre...and lots of water...flushes all the old fecal matter stuck to the side of your intestines...and flattens the tummy, not to mention that it really cleans up cellulite at the same time. Psyllium husk fibre is the best. You can add a 'dieters tea' to the fibre and water and it helps flush everything through even faster. It is a laxitive, so you don't want to be taking it for much longer than a week...but keep up the fibre and water for life it you can:)

Bailey'sMom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think your best bet is to just eat a healthy diet- balanced. Not too high in fat; limit saturated fats; eliminate trans fats. Eat lots of veggies and a good amount of fruit; avoid refined carbs and eat whole grains. It's really just common sense.

Also I agree that a high fiber diet is best; along with a healthy intake of water.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
kristenm1975 said:
Okay, I confess, I've tried everything from the baby food diet to the Master Cleanse and am just now angrily ending the 4 Hour Body's Slow Carb diet two days early on grounds of it's obviously being complete b.s. (not an inch or a pound after 28 days on the plan!!).

I'm not overweight at all, in fact I'm within normal limits on everything, but my clothes no longer fit and I'm damned if I think getting older has to mean getting fatter (and in any case, I'm only 35 for crying out loud).

I feel like I may have terminally screwed up my metabolism by messing with it cruelly in the old days, not eating for a week and losing 10 pounds in that time, for example. I'm afraid that my body is just not able to respond to healthy requests at this point and fear for the day when I truly am overweight and am unable to do anything to change it.

Some tips?? I'm an active woman, don't over-eat, and am a moderate drinker, if that helps. Thanks!:)
Check out the adrenal fatigue thread.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I quit caffeine and cut back on salt and lost 30. It wasn't easy...but it worked. I didn't even mean to diet, I was trying to quit having so many panic attacks but got both...less attacks AND lost weight :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I quit caffeine and cut back on salt and lost 30. It wasn't easy...but it worked. I didn't even mean to diet, I was trying to quit having so many panic attacks but got both...less attacks AND lost weight :D
Adrenal recovery! *nods* :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
limit saturated fats; eliminate trans fats.
While I agree with eliminating trans fats, there is absolutely NO reason to avoid natural saturated fats. Despite the bashing they have taken over the last 30 years, there is NO evidence they make you fat, cause heart disease, or turn you in to a newt. Most credible research shows them to be at worst benign and possibly even protective.

The whole saturated bad thing comes from one study in the 50's that was actually a fraud.

" According to Dr. Lundell, The theory that saturated fat causes heart disease fails on many accounts. First, it is said that saturated fats raise cholesterol levels in the blood, and elevated cholesterol levels cause heart disease.

Lundell points out that an article published in the American Heart Journal last year, showed that in an examination of 137,000 people admitted to the hospital with heart attack, 70% of them had normal blood cholesterol levels!

It should also be noted that the long-running Framingham Heart Study showed that after the age of 50 (when 90% of all heart attacks occur), lower cholesterol levels are clearly associated with a shorter life expectancy.

But lets put cholesterol aside for a moment and discuss the purported mass killer, saturated fat. Certainly there must have been conclusive studies and solid evidence that kicked off the campaign against animal fat. Not quite.

One of the first studies to implicate animal fat in heart disease came in the early 1900s. See if you can spot the flaws in this one. In 1908, Russian scientist, M.A. Ignatovsky fed protein-rich animal foods to a group of rabbits. He soon discovered that the rabbits developed arterial plaques and cardiovascular disease. Researchers discovered that the same thing happens when chickens, guinea pigs and goats eat a high-fat diet.

Later these studies were cited as evidence of a high-fat diet causing heart disease in humans. Hmm lets see. All of these animals are obligate herbivores. They evolved eating nothing but plants. They are clearly not designed to eat meat. When we feed them meat and fat it makes them sick. That makes perfect sense. What doesnt make sense is why researchers extrapolated these results to omnivorous humans.

The Fraud of Ancel Keys Kicks off the Lipid Hypothesis

But the lipid hypothesis really gained traction in the 1950s, when physiologist Ancel Keys, Ph.D., published what became known as the Seven Countries Study.

Keys presented a comparison of heart disease mortality and fat intake across seven different countries. His comparison showed a remarkable relationship. The countries with the highest fat intake had the highest levels of heart disease. The countries with the lowest fat intake had the lowest levels of heart disease. Those in the middle fell conveniently in between.

At the time, Jacob Yerushalmy, a PhD statistician, at the University of California at Berkeley pointed out that we had data on the amount of fat consumed in 22 countries. So why wasnt it called the 22 Country Study?

It wasnt called that, because Ancel Keys started with the conclusion. Then he cherry-picked the countries that matched his pre-conceived notion and threw out the ones that contradicted it. And most of them did! When all 22 countries were analyzed, the remarkable relationship remarkably disappeared.

Furthermore, Keys established no causative basis. And he based his conclusions on only two phenomena dietary fat and heart disease. This did not account for the possibility that something else could have caused the heart disease.

It might seem hard to believe that this flawed and fraudulent study was the genesis of the entire animal-fat-causes-heart-disease movement. Certainly, in the last sixty years, there must be hundreds of controlled studies that prove the link, right?

Not quite there are NONE!"
http://www.healthiertalk.com/greatest-scam-medical-history-1385

Generally feeling puffy is a sign of inflammation. The biggest causes of inflammation are modern grains, high sugar, high fructose or high vegetable oil intake.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I figured out that the wrong fats also cause panic attacks...like a buger and fries at a fast food joint is next day anxiety...and chocolate...ohhhh, that will drive me right into next week!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
;) and saturated fats are the only way to get fat soluable vitamins.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
And human breast milk is loaded with fat and cholesterol...for very good reason. It is what is used to build the brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.