How to make your home feel warmer (without turning up the heat)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sweat pants, sweat shirt, fuzzy house shoe booties. Toss an afghan over me.
That's me right now except for the fuzzy house shoes. Just have socks on and a flannel blankie.

I've heard but never tried) that reversing your ceiling fan will bring heat down that rises to the ceiling - anybody ever do that?

And, I'm sipping a cup of hot tea.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I reverse fans. It's about pulling or pushing the air by slant on fan blade.

Long johns!! A lot of vests here. The extra layer on your back and shoulders makes a difference. Plus, easy layer to put off/on.

Shades down over windows at night, up for sun days. Extra lights --- brightness costs less than heater. Oven meals often in winter. I have an open plan but normal ceiling heights. I hang a long shower curtain at bottom of staircase to keep heat in lower of house. Faces backdoor, so not real visually obvious it's there.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
caulk and seal up gaps that let drafts happen. also helps save on energy bills.

wear more layers of clothes (including a hat) around the house. piles of blankets always handy here on this perch. sometimes i end up typing/mousing with my hands under the covers.
We also put the clear plastic over the windows. (ours are very drafty) The hat is an excellent way to stay warmer. An old (German?) saying. If your feet are cold put on a hat. I think it comes from several old world places.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Also for cold hands, total newbies can alter their circulation by visualization/meditation. I imagine red energy pulsing through my arms to my fingertips. You don't have to have a meditation practice or experience to be able to do this. In research, volunteers were able to raise their skin temperature on the first try!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ditch your top sheet. I use a thin microfiber blanket instead during winter. Makes a huge difference on warmth.

Mom complained so much about a cold bed until I convinced her to try without the top sheet. She doesn't use it either now. Her sheets are cotton and cotton will wick away heat. So it's great for summer. I have both cotton and linen sheets. Linen top sheet is also too cool for winter.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
caulk and seal up gaps that let drafts happen. also helps save on energy bills.

wear more layers of clothes (including a hat) around the house. piles of blankets always handy here on this perch. sometimes i end up typing/mousing with my hands under the covers.
This year, we also tried multi-layers of blankets on the sofa and in the bed, which was very useful.
Two thinner jackets also did better than a thick one.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We also put the clear plastic over the windows. (ours are very drafty) The hat is an excellent way to stay warmer. An old (German?) saying. If your feet are cold put on a hat. I think it comes from several old world places.
And a scarf helps, too.
I should have wear hats more often in winter, when the temperature and pressure changed, the headache can so easily get me.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, smart! Thanks for this tip! It will help me a lot! I use a synthetic blanket because I can't stay warm on a cold night with natural fibers. (Maybe I need a leather or fur blanket)
So go to thrift stores and find fur/leather coats and make you a blanket. You are a genius that way.