How to make your home feel warmer (without turning up the heat)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
So we are talking about staying warm what temp do u keep your house
When using the propane furnace, 67 daytime, 60 night.

When it's less than 20 degrees, we switch to the wood furnace. It can vary between 65 and 80, depending on the weather. When it's 20 below zero and windy, it's hard to keep the house warm. (but much better since DH insulated and sealed everything possible).

It's an old farmhouse with 2 DIY additions, so temperature varies a lot throughout the house. We added a mini split to help even out the upstairs temperature. We don't use it often though.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So we are talking about staying warm what temp do u keep your house
we use a wood stove 100% in the winter (except when we are shutting it down overnight to clean in the morning then we use natural gas) like @tortoise said, our temp varies from between about 66 to 80F with the mornings being chillier until we get the fire going but when it is windy and below 0F definitely more in the upper 60s. We too have an old farmhouse, with some updates/additions but also a lot of drafts and more insulation needed.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@flowerbug you could try keeping a clean pair of socks for sleeping in that you don’t wear during the day.

Or change into tomorrow’s sock at bedtime. One of our Girl Scout camping tips for staying warm in your sleeping bag all night was to do just that. Because any dampness from the socks you wore all day would cool off overnight and chill your feet.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We finally caved in and turned up the heat pump to 70 degrees yesterday. Its turned down to 58 at nite. I wear a hat and a pashmina scarf around my neck. (thrift stores and my trip to Bangalore India in early '20). Also wool socks and boots. Sneakers are too cold this time of year. Long sleeve shirt with sweatshirt on top. Jeans.