How to make your home feel warmer (without turning up the heat)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We also put the clear plastic over the windows. (ours are very drafty) The hat is an excellent way to stay warmer. An old (German?) saying. If your feet are cold put on a hat. I think it comes from several old world places.

also if your hands and feet are cold it's probably a good idea to check to make sure your clothes are too restrictive and blocking blood flow.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our only heat is wood,
the cost of electricity is through the roof, we try and use as little as we can,
this house was built in 1989, so not the bad even older meatal windows, but meatal --
we have an older (1989) sliding glass door in our room and it is very cold in there, after thanksgiving I am going to have to cover it, it condensates and freezes. I need to use the door while the family is here, -
the dogs will be in our room Tues. pm - Friday, and I let them outside through it, poor puppies, , but they will be fine I know :p
the bathroom off our room to the furthest outside wall last Jan.-Feb. was 40 degrees, there isnt much I can do about that.
the front bathroom and ours have sky lights, I need to at ceiling level cover the opening with plastic, a lot of heat goes up there.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
caulk and seal up gaps that let drafts happen. also helps save on energy bills.

wear more layers of clothes (including a hat) around the house. piles of blankets always handy here on this perch. sometimes i end up typing/mousing with my hands under the covers.
This year, we also tried multi-layers of blankets on the sofa and in the bed, which was very useful.
Two thinner jackets also did better than a thick one.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We also put the clear plastic over the windows. (ours are very drafty) The hat is an excellent way to stay warmer. An old (German?) saying. If your feet are cold put on a hat. I think it comes from several old world places.
And a scarf helps, too.
I should have wear hats more often in winter, when the temperature and pressure changed, the headache can so easily get me.