How to make your home feel warmer (without turning up the heat)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also for cold hands, total newbies can alter their circulation by visualization/meditation. I imagine red energy pulsing through my arms to my fingertips. You don't have to have a meditation practice or experience to be able to do this. In research, volunteers were able to raise their skin temperature on the first try!

for your hands just pretend you're squeezing a stress ball (or someone you don't like's head) amazing how much better you feel. :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I ordered a whole leather hide during the summer because it will just fit over the queen bed. It goes over the blankets to keep all the warm air in.
One year, DH bought me a reindeer hide for Christmas. Instead of wrapping it, he waited until I was asleep and draped it over me in bed. That night, I kept dreaming I was in really hot places, like Death Valley. I finally woke up enough to try to push blankets off, and my hands encountered the fur; what a shock! DH had been sleeping lightly because he wanted to see my reaction, lol.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ditch your top sheet. I use a thin microfiber blanket instead during winter. Makes a huge difference on warmth.

Mom complained so much about a cold bed until I convinced her to try without the top sheet. She doesn't use it either now. Her sheets are cotton and cotton will wick away heat. So it's great for summer. I have both cotton and linen sheets. Linen top sheet is also too cool for winter.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use microfiber sheets in winter and cotton sheets in summer. I use the top sheet, a quilt and a crocheted afgan over that. I stay toasty warm!

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ditch your top sheet. I use a thin microfiber blanket instead during winter. Makes a huge difference on warmth.

Mom complained so much about a cold bed until I convinced her to try without the top sheet. She doesn't use it either now. Her sheets are cotton and cotton will wick away heat. So it's great for summer. I have both cotton and linen sheets. Linen top sheet is also too cool for winter.
I did the same! A cheap microfiber blanket from IKEA can do a very good job!