How to start prepping?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Did someone say "small yard"? :frow

Yes, as Freemotion said, I have a small lot. The entire property is only .167th of an acre. 1000 sq ft of that is house, another 750 sq ft for the garage and a 200 sq ft shed. That doesn't leave a lot of open space leftover!

Despite that I have 2 grape vines, 2 dwarf apple trees, a pear tree, 7 ducks, and 5 quail in a converted dog kennel. I also have a pond that I use to raise rosy minnows and duckweed for the fluffy little brats, several garden beds, and there is even still room for a hot tub :D

So yes, you can do a lot with a small space as long as you aren't overly attached to grass. The only grassy areas I have in the back yard are basically paths, and I over seeded those with clover last year. We let the ducks out once a week to "mow" that for us.

If I were in your shoes (and I was just 2 years ago...including having the spouse that thinks I am completely nuts), I would start small. Every time you go to the grocery store get 2 things for storage. I don't care if it is a pack of waterproof matches, a can of tuna or a bag of dry beans. Just get 2 things every time you go to the store. I don't care if you have to dig in the couch cushions for spare change. DO NOT LEAVE THE STORE WITHOUT 2 THINGS.

After a couple of weeks you are going to notice you have all this extra stuff. Start thinking about storage. Is there a closet you can dejunk? Can you build shelves under some basement stairs? Can you use under the bed storage containers? With my small house, I just got creative with my furniture. All my end tables can be used to store things. I also got a Lane chest at a garage sale for $25. It holds about a years worth of stuff.

Have a good supply of quality freezer bags, some plastic storage tubs, 5 gallon buckets with tight lids. You don't have to get them all at once, just keep your eye open for sales.

As for the garden, you need to figure out what went wrong. Can you get the soil tested? Did you use mulch? What did you try to plant? What did well and what really sucked? You might want to go to the SS sister site www.theeasygarden.com to see if we can figure out what went wrong and fix it for this year.

Next is animals. I consider them an import part of self sufficiency. Is the wife open to having chickens or ducks? Would she care if you got quail? Do you have room for anything bigger? Turkeys? A pygmy goat?

That should keep you busy for a while :D

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have several raised bed gardens. I have a flock of ducks. each season is different as to what items make the best.. last year was corn, beets, radishes, carrots and cucumbers oh and had volunteer catalope that did good. tomatoes were not productive.. for fall garden carrots, radishes, beets and greens have done well.. haven't planted for spring yet as easter is late..
I have been buying items a little each month.. also when my church has a group order for items I try and order that way.. Last year we placed order with Walton feed and I purchased a few cans of grain and baking supplies.. this year I purchased larger containers of assorted grains and replaced some of the items I had used also a few more baking supplies.. I also watch the sales that www.beprepared.com has and try to order then...
have also sent group order to Bishops storehouse and got a few items that way..
All you can do is a little each month..
I've read in several places and on the LDS site "Buy What You Eat and Eat What YOu store". I am still learning..

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
As others have said, stocking up on canned foods a little at a time is the easiest way to get started.

After a while you may want to consider preparing your own food for long term storage. Dehydrating and vacuum sealing in canning jars, as well as canning your own food is the next logical step (at least to me). Buy what is on sale, or is cheap at harvest time, and preserve it for later use.

A good video series to give you some ideas is on YouTube, and is a seminar given by Wendy Dewitt. She gives a great overview on things you can do to get a year or more food storage program started. It's a lot easier than most people think. Here's a link to the first part of the series.

The most important advice is to not to let things overwhelm you, and to just do what you can, a little at a time. It'll add up over time.

Read articles and watch videos on the internet, check out books from the library, ask questions (like you are doing now :) ) on the forums, but don't neglect putting ideas into practice. Knowledge is important, but actually doing things and seeing what works before TSHTF is paramount.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Welcome, lots of good advise given...yard sales,garage sales, flea markets,etc are a great place to find useful survival stuff. Canning jars, cast iron cookware, garden tools, how to-books, anything that you think will be useful for tougher times.
If you have access to firewood, experiment with cooking with cast iron cookware outside.Anything you can do to conserve fuel,heat with wood if possible.
Lots of folks here don't have a farm, but do amazing things with what they have.For most , money is an issue, just do the best you can with what you have.Spend your money wisely, on things that are going to make a difference. Good luck, and keep on reading here...!

Jakejekel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.... i will be looking at the garden again soon, i think i may have just planted too late last year. as for animals..... other then pets, farm animals are not legal here. city regs i think. i will be looking into the canning and preserving soon too..... and storage is my main problem.... i have 2 brother-in-laws that have sticky fingers....

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Skills, not stuff.

Well ok, stuff is good too, but SKILLS are at least as important, especially in an urban or suburban area where materials are likely to be abundant but people are not likely to know what the heck to DO.

Not just the stereotypical things like 'starting a fire without matches' or 'hunting and fishing and gardening' but also sewing; cooking and preserving nutritious food; repairing machinery; metalworking; utilitarian woodworking; etc.

Bad things can happen to any stash of stuff, but SKILLS, they can't take from ya :)

Pat

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Good point Pat :D

As for the BIL problem, I can sort of relate. My youngest son is severely autistic. Part of that is him being a noisy pain in the but who thinks everything is his. Not his fault since his functioning level is about that of a 3 year old, but he has got in to the stash on more than one occasion and totally ripped open bags and taken stuff out he decided he needed more than me.

So my furniture that can hold storage items ALSO HAS LOCKS. So does my freezer. Only me and hubby know where the keys are.

You may have to do the same thing. Make sure that your storage either locks OR they have no idea you HAVE a stash.

Is there a place you could actually build a hidden stash?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You also need to foucs on the sustainability of the skills like food preservation, gardening, and animals.

Your animals need to be able to reproduce, forage for a great deal of food, and usually dual purpose. Like for chickens, lay lots of eggs and be huge. Its also good to supplement with stuff you grow or forage. Like veggie/meat scraps, etc.

Your gardeing needs to be sustainable with heirloom seeds, homemade fertilizers, etc. Which can come from worms, chickens, rabbits, and any farm animals. Honeybees help in the garden too.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Great points BB.

Jake, what gardening zone is RI? There is some stuff you should be either planting NOW (like Asian greens, snow peas, etc...) or starting inside.

Also what city if you don't mind? Then we can look up the critter regs. Usually, even if farm animals are forbidden, that still leaves you the option to raise rabbits.

Latest posts