How to start prepping?

Jakejekel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
city is pawtucket. i have no idea what a gardening zone is.... so no clue. and my son isn't badly disabled, but he is an ADHD 4 year old who doesn't feel pain.....

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I happened to look up some city codes for you..

This one doesnt look to promising. But it does say that some types may be kept under special conditions prescribed by the animal control officer.. So maybe go talk with them about being able to keep a couple house rabbits as a pet for the kids.. Might be a way around it so you can have meat rabbits. But it would have to be real small scale. Like one litter at a time..

116-8.1 Keeping of certain animals restricted.

[Amended 9-8-1977 by Ch. No. 1614; 12-11-2003 by Ch. No. 2708]
No owner or keeper or occupant of any dwelling shall keep or permit to be kept any sheep, hogs, goats, cattle, horses, geese, ducks, rabbits or other fowl in any dwelling house, cellar or garage, or shall have any such animals kept within the City except under such special conditions as may be prescribed by the Animal Control Officer, provided that this section shall not apply to an established zoo or to persons who have a permit to operate a stable.

============================================

But this looks good... Looks like you can keep pigeons if you get a permit, costs $25

And there are many utility breeds that are good for eatting. And if you really want to. I have heard of people eatting their eggs.

Licensing requirements; fee.

[Amended 9-11-1980 by Ch. No. 1739]A. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to conduct or operate a pigeon loft without first obtaining a license from the City Council. Any person, firm or corporation having a license shall have the right to conduct or operate a pigeon loft within the City of Pawtucket under the terms and conditions of this Article.
B. A certificate of compliance shall be obtained from the Division of Zoning and Code Enforcement of the City of Pawtucket, and said certificate of compliance shall be attached to the license application. Said certificate of compliance does not apply to pigeon licenses issued or eligible for renewal prior to August 1, 1980.
C. Only one license may be issued to a person, firm or corporation. The license shall be granted by the City Council after inspection and approval by the Director of Planning and Redevelopment or his or her deputies or inspectors. The license fee shall be $25 per year from the anniversary date of the passage of this Article.

===============================================

Here is the site I got it from so you can read more about the rules on pigeon keeping..

http://www.ecode360.com/?custId=PA1467

Its some where to start..

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it were me and I lived in a city and in an appartment I would prepare as follows.

Over the next year purhcase only things you can fit into your backpack first, and car second. Purchase backpacks and supplies for hiking out of town to the country...

good shoes that you know dont hurt, plus a spare
5 pairs of socks
everything you might think you would need to back pack
for several weeks. Pack dried food, sleeping gear, tent, tools

Have a pack for everyone in the family. including dog who must carry his own food

After you have done this then pack survival gear that can fit in the car..

If you have access to still using your car...that is

purchase survival gear for food attainment and storage that can fit in the car as well as dried foods, perferably rice and beans to last your family several months, as well as instant foods for easy prep on the road.

have containers you can put on top of your car and the ropes necessary to secure them.

make sure you have some stored fuel and learn how to store fuel correctly. Know exactly how far you can get on what fuel you have in what ever direction you head out of the city, because after that you are walking.

After you have done all this then you are ready for what comes while you are in your current situation then you can think about how to prepare on broader levels... like garden and all else.

If it never comes to needing this stuff you are all ready for a nice camping vacation for many years into the future.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Did someone say "small yard"? :frow

Yes, as Freemotion said, I have a small lot. The entire property is only .167th of an acre. 1000 sq ft of that is house, another 750 sq ft for the garage and a 200 sq ft shed. That doesn't leave a lot of open space leftover!

Despite that I have 2 grape vines, 2 dwarf apple trees, a pear tree, 7 ducks, and 5 quail in a converted dog kennel. I also have a pond that I use to raise rosy minnows and duckweed for the fluffy little brats, several garden beds, and there is even still room for a hot tub :D
AND ... Her yard is BIGGER than mine!! We have .114 of an acre (!!) with house and garage. We have 3 grape vines, cherry tree, peach tree and grafted multi-fruit tree with apricots, nectarines, plums and peaches. We raise our own herbs, lots of veggies and have chickens for eggs.

If "farm animals" are not allowed I would second the motion for rabbits as a meat animal. Plus other options for meat are "ornamental" quail, guinea pigs (which are eaten in lots of countries) and fish.

Just take small steps. Learn one thing well before going on and hang out here lots. We are a bunch of crazies, but we have lots of experience and love to share! :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I think anyone who lives in a citified area, should be prepared to get our of town WTSHTF.
We have an emergency kit in every vehicle, try to keep them gassed up. We are prepared to put critters in cages to bring with us, and have our bug-out kit ready. We also have to be prepared for earthquakes. It is all the same to us.
We have also identified a place that we will go to.

I have lived in cities most of my life and tried to grow what ever I could under the circumstances. I also tried to learn as much as possible. If you try and actually do the stuff in some form, you are much more likely to retain that knowledge and therefor you will be better prepared.
Did you know you can make cheese from storebought milk. I have recently come across several books and magazines that had the how to. You can make your own yogurt and kefir and lots of other things.
You may want to go to the library and look for some interesting books or magazines and then experiment with stuff that strikes your fancy. You will be amazed at what you can do without a lot of land. In the process, you will save money and feel a sense of accomplishment, because you learned something new, made it yourself and improved your family's life.

Good luck to you and :welcome

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think anyone who lives in a citified area, should be prepared to get out of town WTSHTF.
Abi and I have actually talked about this. She is in the middle of downtown Denver. Can you imagine the crush of people who will be trying to flee in case of TSHTF? It would be like Katrina. People stuck on clogged highways for days.

So the plan in a major meltdown is for Abi to ride out the first wave of chaos by "sheltering in place". She started her food stash about 6 months or so ago.

Once roads clear and things calm down, I can then get her and bring her down to my place if things continue to involve rotating fan blades and poop. :p

If the routes from my place to her are impassible, she also has a Northern route to other friends.

I just can't see getting in line with several million other people trying to flee a large metropolis.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Kind of my plan as well, but of course I am old and crippled. I have no great hopes of living through a major TSHTF incident.

If I do then I will be quite a valuable commodity of knowledge. If I don't then I KNOW where I am going. :D

Jakejekel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i do have some ideas of where to go, and i know of a relatively unknown storage area of food is near my home, but honestly, in a shtf situation i am pretty s___ out of luck.... i live right in the middle between Boston and New York City, so i will need to lay low for a while b4 getting out, and afterwords i don't have any place to go to..... maybee i can start looking for that......

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I think anyone who lives in a citified area, should be prepared to get our of town WTSHTF.
Actually, my plan is just the opposite. With everyone planning on heading to the hills WTSHTF, once the exodus from the cities is complete, I plan to move into the city and live a life of solitude. :D