How to start prepping?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
hwillm1977...The Four Season Harvest, sounds like a great book.Decades ago Scott and Helen Nearing were pioneers in this method of growing fresh yr round produce in freezing climates.I believe they started in NH and then later moved to Maine.
The Nearings where getting on in age when they did this, and used almost all recycled materials for their solar greenhouse.I have one of there books, can't recall the name at the moment, that has tons of useful info. They were a truely amazing couple, with a vision of recycling and growing premium food cheaply...very, very, SS....
Thanks for the book title, want to check it out..:)

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
welcome, so much good advice already,
just chiming in to say stick with the garden...it's a skill,

but mostly I want to say ...believe what you want in your heart, but you might gain more interest from your wife it you soften the message

what I mean is just ease off on teotwawki...(to her out loud, perhaps...)

and start suggesting how with oil prices rising,

and there food prices will rise, something that I think is apparent to everyone...(not to mention how with you out of work...that can be an angle from which to talk plainly about how to be more efficient...which can mean learning useful skills for yourself...and even a skills to sell...?)

you could talk more about how it might be wise to aquire some skills(less scary), and stock up on few things so you wont be hit so hard by the likely rising prices

preserving food, knowing where local sources are, knowing how to garden and sprout and things like that can be presented in a much less scary way and then, I do believe you will not only get a partner in this but you might all as a family enjoy working on some of these new "hobbies" you have... draw her in...don't scare her off ;)

just my thoughts anyhow...good luck

Jakejekel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i havn't mentioned teotwawki to my wife at all, just that if things go bad for us i want to be prepaired..... she likes the garden idea, and my son loves the fact we let him play in the dirt! i just wish i understood it a little better. i only have 1 year of gardening so far, so i need to do some more practicing. will keep you updated!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
What crops would you like to grow? Most of us have some tricks and tips we have picked up over the years and if you give some specifics we could help you along.

One thing I learned is to bury your tomato seedlings deep and to put eggs shells or oyster shells in the hole when you plant. No matter how tall the tomato seedling is you want to bury it so there are just a few leaves showing at the top. Those oyster shells provide calcium and stops blossom drop. I did that last year and had a fantastic harvest in an area not known for great tomatoes :D

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First of all Welcome to the SSF! :welcome

You may find me a bit "long winded" but that seems to be my style.

Rather than re-visit all the things that you have been told here thus far, I will begin by suggesting that you give some serious consideration to a few issues and then make your plans according to the answers to your OWN questions.

Yes, there are a variety of opinions on exactly what is happening/going to happen in the next two to three years. You have been given a number of pieces of rather good advice from what I have seen thus far. WZ gave you guidance on things to consider for situations other than complete social and economic collapse which may or may not happen but the things she mentions DO HAPPEN all the time. While I admit, Rhode Island is NOT generally included in some of the more annoying environmental disasters, the truth is ANYTHING can cause a problem and as a result, you should be ready and able to support your wife and special needs son REGARDLESS of the cause.

One of the primary duties of a husband is to support and provide for his wife and children. You apparently recognize this as you are looking ahead to the future. Perhaps it is difficult to explain your concerns to your wife because among other issues which consume her such as caring for your special needs child, she is putting her energy into seeing that you are your son are provided for properly. You both support each other and in so doing devote a significant portion of your life to the "here and now" rather than to the "what if?" questions of life and the current times.

If one looks at the realities of the "here and now" they are beginning to look exactly like we have been warned about in the past so your concerns are quite timely.

As you have been told, there are certain necessities for the consideration of any serious disruption in social framework, among them are environmental disruption as well as disaster, and social upheaval. You will have to decide what you are going to do about dealing with these not only as they come but as they could appear. Certainly this morning with the news of the earthquake in Japan and the possible tsunami in Hawaii or even the west coast of the US, one is caused to stop and think about exactly how to respond to a devastating situation. Do you prepare "in place" or do you prepare to "hit the road?"

In your case several questions have to be answered.
1. Are you in a position to stay where you are in the event of a serious change in the way things are going?
2. Do you have someplace to go or not?
3. Do you have the means and the opportunity to go, in the event that this becomes necessary? Generally, a fire will require you to leave because your home and posessions are destroyed. Blizzards can be a bit easier in that you can sit them out assuming you have enough food and water for several days.
4. Do you have adequate provisions for the special needs of your child and wife? It is one thing to consider the basic requirements:
a) security
b) shelter
c) water
d) food
The real issue is what you will do about these things.
5. Can you manage those decisions with what you currently own?
6. Can you manage to travel on foot with your wife and child (based on their needs?)
7. How much can you carry and how far can you go?
8. Can you avoid the rest of society on your way, assuming that they have no issue with your traveling or what you currently own?
9. Would you be better off "in place"?

I can ask questions all day but you get the drift. If you are just starting to "come awake" and look at this seriously, it is certainly going to be important that you consider the feelings of your wife and her fears and concerns when making these decisions. She may be aware of it but too anxious to even deal with it.

This is where your leadership as a husband comes into play. You are going to be called upon to make decisions and while she may want to be included in the decision process, there will be times when you have to "break the tie". There will be times when she "has to break the tie". Each on the basis of the merits of knowledge, and other resources available to you and your wife. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

No one here can in such a short time, or short post, begin to tell you how to go about this. At this time, your best options are to go to the library and look at any books that can give you some strong guidance. There are lots of them. You won't be able to carry them if you have to leave so consider that as well. Many of us have been at this for many years. While that is something that may cause you to be anxious, you are welcome to our collective knowlege and experience so that you become one of us.

You will need courage, wisdom and faith to get yourself and family through any of these situations. How you respond to a crisis is entirely independent of any other human being, but is significanly reflected by the effect your response has on those around you.

Since you are NOT employed currently, you have some time to devote to these things and to spend with your child. The time you spend with your child is the most precious time of your life. They are only young for a short time. They are grown up for the majority of their existence and the older THEY get, the more superfluous WE become to them. Any male can become a father. Only a MAN becomes a Dad.

It may be that leaving where you are NOW and going to a "safe place" is the best option. If you have nothing now and you get there and have nothing, at least you will be where you feel safe.

The feeling of "feeling safe" is the pre-eminent and overwhelming drive that helps you make all the rest of your decisions. If you choose to go somewhere now, you must choose "wisely" as there are a multitude of issues that may in the very near future, limit your opportunities.

Do not mourn for losses of material wealth. If you leave "stuff" behind, so be it. You can always get more "stuff". It is your wife and child who are most important and their health and safety are YOUR FIRST CONCERN as a man/husband. All else pales by comparison.

Rather than go on ad infinitum here I will conclude by saying that we at SSF are all here to help each other. Everyone has an opinion as to what THEY think will happen, but I was raised to believe that only G*d knows for certain and HE tells us when HE is ready. It is for us to be ready to hear HIM when HE speaks to us. (There are those who will "flame me" for this paragraph, but I will NOT back down for the sake of "political correctness". I spent 40 years in the uniform of my country defending my right to voice MY opinion. Others are entitled to their own opinion. Nuff said.)

Be at Peace, Love your family and treat others how you would be treated.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Given your situation and local, I suppose I would slowly stock up on lots of dry goods (beans, potatoe flakes, flours).
I would keep everything as organized as possible (consider flylady.com).
I would begin to change the way I cook to be more frugal, by making lots of things from scratch and save a bit of money for SS projects. Also save a bit on a clothes line and whatever other old, money saving method of roughing it might help.
I also vote for rabbits....chickens are a must for me, but you might not be able to. Quail might take care of some meat and eggs for you on a small scale.
Consider square foot gardening and mulch to help you with weeds, water conservation and soil temp. control.
Consider the local library as a good source for info. I recommend the Reader's Digest Back to Basics and John Seymour's The Self-Sufficient Life and how to Live it. Both of those can give you lots of ideas that you can do on a small scale.
Ever go fishing? You can spend lots of $$$ on it or hardly nothing. I perfer the latter.
Hit garage sales and learn how to make small repairs on clothes, furniture, toys, plumbing, wiring.
But one thing at a time, of course. Might want to map things out on a calendar....one project per week or 2 if they are small enough. Good luck.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can not remember if this was already said.

But, get some books on wild edible plants that grown around your area. Also books about wild edible mushrooms, if your not familiar with them look around and see if a place is offering classes on mushroom identification.

A great book to own is
Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery.

I finally got my copy after reading my aunts copy a few time.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There are several wild edibles I had been tearing up growing right in my yard. I felt like an idiot when I saw seeds for one plant being sold for $4. Ummm...I threw away money? DOH!

At least for the past few years I had been throwing them to the ducks so it wasn't a total waste.

One that grows really well in my yard is purslane. It is very high in omega 3's. I use small tender leaves in salads and soups. The ducks get the rest. And dandelions are a vital nutritious crop, they are NOT a useless weed. It is very high in calcium. If you don't like to eat the tender spring leaves, fill up a jar with leaves and cover it in vinegar. Leave it sit for a few months in a dark cupboard. The vinegar leaches out all the minerals. Use it like regular vinegar after you drain it. The flavor of the vinegar doesn't change much, but it is now loaded with nutrients. Use it in dressings, in soups, etc. Same with those little plantain weeds.

As for mushrooms, I would join a local mushroom hunting group. I would NOT go off any try it by myself since accidental poisoning is a real risk.

Jakejekel

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
These are all good ideas, and i am starting to put a number of them to work.... if i can convince my wife i might even have a few rabbits in the next couple of months! woot! already stocking up on beans and rice and such. wish me luck