How to start prepping?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
THEFAN said:
:Another great idea to get started is to sell off ALL essential items in your possession.
I'd go with all non-essential items, myself. :D Keep the essential ones.

THEFAN is absolutely correct. Get your bills paid off asap. Sell of all the un-needed clutter. Work on getting utilities usage as low as possible. Start buying a little extra on each trip to the grocery.

It's a bit extreme for some, but last summer we only used our central air unit three time (when we had family gatherings). Most nights we just opened the windows, and when it was too muggy to sleep comfortably at night, we all slept in one bedroom and used a single small window unit. The difference on the electric bill was worth it.

Anything you can do to live more frugal gives you more finances to put toward other items that will help you live even more frugal. IMHO frugality is the heart of self sufficiency. If we get in the habit of living frugal now, it won't be such hard transition when the Schumer hits the fan.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
It's a bit extreme for some, but last summer we only used our central air unit three time (when we had family gatherings). Most nights we just opened the windows, and when it was too muggy to sleep comfortably at night, we all slept in one bedroom and used a single small window unit. The difference on the electric bill was worth it.
We did that as well. When we re-did my son's old room we took down all of the walls to re-insulate it and decided to add insulation on the inner walls as well as the exterior walls for sound proofing since we planned on turning it into our entertainment room. That did double duty when we also made that room our "cool room" in the summer with the addition of a window unit. Now we bed down in there on those hot summer nights, cool down there in the hot HUMID summer days and haven't ran the central air unit since! $$$

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
We did that out of necessity; our central a/c broke & is unfixable (so we've been told) & we can't afford to replace it. So, last summer we ran 3 windown units (BR, LR, & my home office)...our electric usage went down so much that the electric company recalculated our budget plan, saving us about $30/mo. :) So, don't think the central unit will ever be replaced.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
THEFAN said:
:Another great idea to get started is to sell off ALL essential items in your possession.
I'd go with all non-essential items, myself. :D Keep the essential ones.

THEFAN is absolutely correct. Get your bills paid off asap. Sell of all the un-needed clutter. Work on getting utilities usage as low as possible. Start buying a little extra on each trip to the grocery.

Anything you can do to live more frugal gives you more finances to put toward other items that will help you live even more frugal. IMHO frugality is the heart of self sufficiency. If we get in the habit of living frugal now, it won't be such hard transition when the Schumer hits the fan.
Thank you I ment NON-essential. :p

somadlyinlove

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
Ok, I had a chance to read through everything. The one thing no nor has mentioned yet is WATER.

You can live 3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

You need to store water. If the power goes out for whatever reason, the electric water pumping system goes out with it. You need a minimum 1 (2 is better) gallon of water per person per day plus water for pets and livestock. Have paper plates and stuff so you don't need to waste any of e water for washing up. You should at minimum have enuf water for 3 days for everyone, in case it's a short-lived situation. If it's you and your wife and son that's bare minimum of 9 gallons plus whatever you need for your animals. Two 5 gallon jugs of clean water is good to have. A water filter that can purify water if you can get a source of unsure water is a good backup, in addition to the stored water. If you have 3 jugs, you can use one for coffee or tea, and then just refill and rotate it, so you always have fresh water available.
:D hi everybody I'm new here and jumping in
Just wanted to mention an easy thing I found is that when you empty a liquid laundry detergent jug fill it with water and write "wash water" or something similar on it and put it under a sink. I have a few under each sink in my house. I haven't gotten to rainbarrels yet but I hope to soon. These water jugs can be used to wash hands, clothes, flush toilets, ect.. you don't even need to rinse the soap out.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
somadlyinlove said:
Just wanted to mention an easy thing I found is that when you empty a liquid laundry detergent jug fill it with water and write "wash water" or something similar on it and put it under a sink. I have a few under each sink in my house. I haven't gotten to rainbarrels yet but I hope to soon. These water jugs can be used to wash hands, clothes, flush toilets, ect.. you don't even need to rinse the soap out.
Great suggestion.

BTW, :welcome

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome
somadlyinlove said:
AnnaRaven said:
Ok, I had a chance to read through everything. The one thing no nor has mentioned yet is WATER.

You can live 3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

You need to store water. If the power goes out for whatever reason, the electric water pumping system goes out with it. You need a minimum 1 (2 is better) gallon of water per person per day plus water for pets and livestock. Have paper plates and stuff so you don't need to waste any of e water for washing up. You should at minimum have enuf water for 3 days for everyone, in case it's a short-lived situation. If it's you and your wife and son that's bare minimum of 9 gallons pluver you need for your animals. Two 5 gallon jugs of clean water is good to have. A water filter that can purify water if you can get a source of unsure water is a good backup, in addition to the stored water. If you have 3 jugs, you can use one for coffee or tea, and then just refill and rotate it, so you always have fresh water available.

Great idea. Thank you :welcome

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Totally agree with KOxxx..."Frugalty is the heart of self sufficency " like he said, the less we can do with now, the better off one will be when the poop hits the fan. Theres only one light on at a time in my house, thats whereever i happen to be at any given time.( wife passed and children grown and gone) so home alone most of the time..I shop new food sales every Fri. morning religiously, save alot..!Since here on eastern Long Is. ny its difficult to find work, i barter.I work a few hours a week for chicken feed, feeds my hens and me eggs, sell surplus.
Huge garden, have over 3000 heads of organic garlic growing now, sell out of chicken farm store.Have heated fo over 30 yrs with wood, saved thousands and thousads of dollars not buying fuel oil for heating.I do use heating oil for hot water, but not much.I cook often on hot ember's in my woodstove in cast iron..You get the picture,i have to live frugally, i poor...I'm pushing 60ryrs, can't fish commercially like i use to for a couple decades, very hard work.So i've learned ow t survive doing what i can, and each year its more of a challenge..! I fish and clam locally . make a kick ass white clam sauce...lol No retirement IRA or health Ins. I know what frugal means, and can't wait to turn 62 for medicare,social secruity, etc.( if theres anything left) I'll be high on the hog then..!Yep, its a good thing to know how to live with as little as possible, that way, you can't miss what haven't had.But it certainly doesn't mean you can't live and eat well.
It's mostly a state of mind,and knowing how to use what mother nature has provided for us to use. I feel well prepared.I know where to go in the wld to eat.I'm grateful i live in an area where i can survive mostly on seafood if i had to_Of course i love seafood and eat it often anyway.So these are all thing people can do where they live to survive.The city is different, tougher..but you can still do alot.Rooftop beehives( YES, many in NYC), honey is healthy and great for bartering.A small garden patch, weekly emergency food storage, bit by bit..Ever place has its own ways, but the princples are the same, be it country or city...SS is an awareness, and acting on that awareness...

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Would someone tell me where you can purchase the "grafted multi-fruit tree with apricots, nectarines, plums and peaches trees.
Thank you