How's your weather?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It took us twice as long as normal to do chores this morning, but at least DH was here to help. I also shoveled out the goat barn so that took a bit. My weird little goats are outside today like it's nice out, everyone says goats don't like snow but mine couldn't care less. Maybe they just know they might as well get used to it lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That stew looks inviting!!! :drool

NH Sorry about your snow -- nice that DH is home today.

I will waken to frozen water tubs in AM. It's about 40 right now with winds pushing 30mph. Dropping to mid 20 by AM with chill in mid teens. Staying cold and very windy all day...may top out at 35 +/-. NOT good. Tubs are all full, above ground outlets drained, heat tapes all on under insulation on pipes above ground in barn. Daughter will drip faucets all night -- she lives at bottom end of farm & my well supplies her -- it's just howling out there. All animals fed, bedded and sheltered if they want to be in there. Heavy wind is as bad as rain, etc., as far as annoying and maneuvering in it.

At least I am off work tomorrow. Water totes ready for the hot water runs. At least only one day -- yeah, back to mid 50 days rest of week. :clap

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sunny & C O L D. But, not so bad if you are on the East side of windbreak. It's dry cold. Had to break ice on the larger troughs, close to 1/2 inch. Some that were not so open, thinner & hot water did it. All animals had plenty of shelter out of wind, most had the morning sun shining in. I was the only one really complaining, LOL. While it was 24, wind chill was 17. All in all, not bad. Of course, I will not feel that way when it's several days in a row!!! Will be toting out the heated buckets this weekend. They cost a fortune to run BUT, weather like this for a week or two & they are just worth the cost for me. Open my front door & a blast of winter enters!! I'm using backdoor all day.

I have a hen with 3 chicks about a month old, so feathered mostly. She had them outside...they were inside a dry bucket on it's side, facing east. They were so cute all cuddled in the sunshine. Wind mostly from W, so they were good. She's a great mom & this is 2nd hatch this yr. 7 in first. Love a broody!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love it... winter niggles? Cute wording

We're supposed to get snow this weekend; it warmed up a little bit, 27F on the front porch at 9:43 Pacific Time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You do see the occasional low-rider truck here, but usually smaller trucks here. The guys with the big trucks usually lift 'em. Helps with floods, lol!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
55F today, but I see we're in for some cold starting Xmas, possibly a bit of snow too :fl

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's been one of those years that is for sure...

i didn't even know how bad yesterday's storms were south of us until i checked the power company's web site and it told me how many people were still without power. :(

i didn't check the news today. some days i kinda wall myself off from the news...

wow, sorry to hear about the tornadoes and damage and some people did get injured or died. :(

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Pretty much same as yours. It has been over cast cooler and windy :( Friday is supposed to be 70 though...and I can't wait!!!