hqueen's collection of Far From the Usual stuff.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll!!
He can be a real pill on his birthday, and he kind of was, at least until I got home. I can't wait for him to figure out he's in charge of his own happiness, and not depend on others and what's around him to be happy. Someday!
I got home just before 2, and we hung out for a bit, and then loaded the bobcat onto his truck so he'd be ready to go in the morning when he had to go back to work. It was crazy cold and windy. He hopped in the shower while I started to get dressed. At first I couldn't find the boots I wanted to wear to dinner, but then we finally found them. A year later and I still can't remember where I put stuff! I can't wait to get proper closet organizers so I can get stuff out from under the bed and into better places! Of course I also need to clean some things out, but that's another story...
It was so cold I decided to wear my leopard print thermal pants under my skirt. Turns out the skirt didn't come down to the tops of my boots. I was like, oh well, I'll just be rebellious today.
We headed down there, and arrived early, so we waited in the car for a bit since we were the only ones there. They don't start dinner until 4:00, and our reservation was for 4:30, and we were seriously the only ones there! So what is always top notch service was even better because it was seriously for us. At one point I got up to go to the bathroom and the chef, our waiter, and the bus boy were all standing there chatting. Like it was them and us in the restaurant and that was it. It felt so intimate, though, since the restaurant is in a building that dates to 1744, and we had a table next to the fireplace. I ended up having to trade seats with the BF because I got too warm by the fire (I was seriously layered up, I wasn't sure how cool it would be in the restaurant) and started coughing. The food was FABULOUS though. Entrees at this place range from $35 to $40, and are worth every penny. We had a fantastic venison appetizer, and then he had a pork chop and I had a beef pot pie. The beef melted in your mouth it was so tender. The BF's pork chop was amazing as well, so juicy and tender, too. The bus boy's job was to make sure that our drinks stayed filled, and since I started out with my back to the doorway of the room, he would just appear over my shoulder and refill our water glasses. I told the BF at one point that he was like a water ninja. We told him that later and he thought it was funny (he was pretty young). The waiter was lovely, too, and so gracious. I really love being able to dine at a place of that caliber, and I told the BF we need to figure out how to make it happen more often. I had a coupon since it was the BF's birthday, and even without that the meal wasn't as expensive as I had expected it to me. We drank mineral water (which there's a charge for) instead of tap water, and I had a glass of champagne, plus the appetizer, and a peanutbutter chocolate moose thing for dessert that was amazing. They even wrote Happy Birthday in icing and put a little candle on the plate for the BF. Thankfully it's not the kind of place to sing to you, LOL. I was excited that I was able to pay for it for the BF so that he could really enjoy his birthday. He was in a much better mood after dinner LOL
Yesterday I had a really nice day, I didn't have to be ANYWHERE, which was awesome. I was able to get up and do what I wanted in the morning. I'm still not sleeping great, and waking up coughing in the middle of the night, so sleeping until I woke up was really nice. And I didn't have to take care of ANY horses! I got up and cleaned the litter boxes and then attempted to get the cats to pee in them empty so I could get a urine sample. Yeah, that didn't work. So I ordered some "hydrophobic" litter that I'll try later and see if I can get them to go that way. I'll also set that up right as they're eating breakfast, so that way I catch them before they've gone for the morning (at least I assume they go after they eat... it seems logical...). We'll see if that works better, anyway. I'll have to try again next week though, when DB is back in her office when I can get there with a sample. I think they have crystals in their urine, which is the reason I'm trying to get a sample. We'll see how well this works! I also managed to get Lilith's cage cleaned, which was way way way over due. She was happy to have her dust bath, too. I got the bed changed, and then ran the dishwasher, and then spent the rest of the day doing business stuff. I did a facebook live and got some new people on it, which was cool, I also got a message from another guy out of the blue, which was a good thing. It feels good to be getting responses again. I also had a long conversation with one of my favorite clients, who it turns out is what she calls a "tech ninja" so she does all things techy, like email lists, landing pages, sales funnels, and stuff like that. She has offered to help me so that I can get my business off the ground. I'm so grateful for her offer, and my biz coach is happy about it, too, so that's awesome that I can now say I have a team! LOL So hopefully I can get some stuff put together quickly because I'm tired of dumping so much energy into my biz and getting nothing out of it. I'm ready to move on.
I also need to replace my laptop, and so that's gotta get paid for somehow. My friend suggested a mac, but I don't know that I can swing that much, even for a refurb machine. And I don't see any of them that have the numlock pad on the side, I like a wide screen with the numlock numbers, which makes it easier to do my tracking stuff. So I think I'm going to have to do some more research, but hopefully I can find something soon, because my poor laptop is just gimping along, and it isn't helping me to be productive because it's so exhaustively slow. I think the only reason I've waited this long is that my computers in the office are just as slow, so I don't have a basis for comparison of anything faster!
I also realized recently that I don't enjoy the research phase of finding a good deal. My Ex was so good at that, I'm tempted to send him a message and tell him to find me a dang computer. We're still friends, so I have no idea if he'd do it for me or not. He's the one that bought me the laptop before, and the thing has to be 8 years old by now, I think. So he not only got a good deal, but it's paid for itself for sure!
I'm doing ok with my personal budget, but my biz budget is way in the red. So it goes. I really hope I can kick it out of the red soon because I'm really ready to have resources! I'm grateful that my office work has balanced out so that I'm able to keep my bills paid and I have a little extra that I was able to take the BF to dinner, and I'll have some left for Christmas, too. Plus I have about $200 in cash back rewards on my credit card, which I've been saving for the holiday specifically. I'm really grateful to be in that position!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Glad you and BF had a nice dinner! That place sounds amazing.

I want to jump in on the laptop here. My ex introduced me to Apple computers about 14 years ago and I never looked back. We had a desktop, which DS killed, then bought a MacBook Air back in 2011, which I'm still using. I absolutely love it!!! They are expensive, but worth every cent and you can pick up secondhand ones for good prices and even older models like mine can handle the newer OS (had mine upgraded a few weeks ago). I checked for the numlock on Macs now and you can turn it on and off, if needed. For basic web surfing, etc, the MacBook Air is good, for more advanced stuff and more programmes, go for the Pro. The Air is so flat (I call mine The Pancake) and lightweight, you can carry it around in an envelope, which is great when you need to take it places. And one of the biggest perks is I don't know what a virus is. I rarely find one when I browse and the computer warns me that it detected it, I back out, clear my cache and carry on as normal, no harm done :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband used to not like birthdays, he hates getting old. I got news for him, he's not 40 years old anymore, I didn't even know him then! I remind him that he can either have a birthday or just go ahead and give up and die. LOL LOL

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I dislike my birthdays too, for reasons I'm not going to get into. But it's only one day in the year, it passes :) As for age and getting older, I just tell people I'm 21 with 17 years' experience :p

hqueen13

Reaction score
@sumi that's great!!! I love that! I might have to start using that answer, too!!

And as far as computers go, you're not the first person to recommend Macs. My only hangup is the price. My current laptop is about 8 years old, so I feel like I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of it! I was looking at refurbished macs on the apple site, and they're still over $1000. I just don't have that kind of cash right now. I'm a little leery of buying one second hand without knowing if it really works, or how to make sure it's a good value. I don't even know where to begin shopping for something like that.

This weekend was kind of odd. Saturday morning we got up and since it was going to rain just after lunch we decided we'd better go get some things done outside. We decided to go get a Christmas tree, he loves cutting one down, and so we chose a new farm. The place was REALLY busy, and not very well organized in our opinion. There weren't really many people that could tell us where to go or what to do. The girl told us where the Douglas Fir trees were, and we went looking but didn't find any. After we found a great Frazier Fir and walked it down the hill again (HUGE hill), we found out that there weren't any Douglas Fir anyway. Thanks for letting us know that after we walked all over the dang farm and up a huge hill. Then we get in line to have the tree shaken and baled, and the BF goes to pay. $70 later :ep:thwe walk out with our tree. Most expensive tree I've ever seen! It is perfect, though, very well balanced, no funny bare spots, and just the right height for our living room. But dang, it's $70 of perfect! Good grief. Anyway, we'll enjoy it for sure. After we got home, we hustled to get the leaves blown. The neighbor was blowing out his gutters with his big backpack blower, and once he finished with that, he loaned it to us. The BF loves it when I run equipment, so he gave it to me. I was expecting to take off, I swear, the thing is like a jet pack. But boy did it blow leaves. The BF was still running the gas blower, but I could easily blow the leaves right back at him, which was amusing. We at least got the yard blown, and into piles, and then it was raining too hard to keep working.

I had a headache by that time, but it was probably the lack of food at that point than anything. Of course the giant jet pack didn't help, that thing is noisy (BAD me for not wearing my ear plugs!) and so that wasn't helpful either. We ate a snack, and then got the tree set up, and then decided to go out to grab dinner. The tree is beautiful, though, and so far the cats aren't bothering it too badly....

Sunday I had to do chores, and then had body work with DR, and then came home and crashed. The BF had gone to run some errands, and so he brought lunch home, but that was really late. We laid down for a nap after that, and then I got up and soaked in the tub for a while. The body work was great, but it released a bunch of stuff and that made me sore.

So not much happened this weekend, but we did get some stuff done.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a good weekend all in all. Enjoy that Christmas tree - sometimes you just gotta go all out and get what you want!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking at secondhand Macs and look for something like a MacBook Air, the 13" would be the cheaper one and you can add some things you need, like a word processor, etc. We joke and say some Mac owners are a bit like BMW owners, they have to have the newest model ;) So many sell fairly new ones when a new model comes out.

Find someone that owns a Mac and ask if they can go with you and test the one you're looking to buy, to make sure everything on it works as it should. Check what OS it has installed and then find out how old the Mac is. Look in the top left corner for the little apple icon, click on that and then "About this Mac"

This is mine... OS is macOS Sierra, which is as high as this machine can support, since it's an older model. That is in there as well... see "Mid 2011"

Beauty_i990_Fotor.jpg

You'll want as new a model as you can afford, but don't worry about buying one that is about 5 years or so old. It will serve you well and support a few more upgrades o.k. Hope this helps some :)

hqueen13

Reaction score
Thanks @sumi I'll have to see what I can find that's in my budget. I'd really prefer a bigger screen, if I can get it. I'm really used to working on a 17, and we have 21's at work, so the wide screen is what I'm accustomed to, and I appreciate being able to see lots of stuff on the screen all at once, LOL.

Yes, FEM, sometimes you just gotta buy what feels good! I am enjoying it, though I do want to keep decorating... we'll see how long that will actually take, LOL.

I didn't do a whole lot yesterday. My throat is still hurting, which is annoying, and keeps me from really feeling like doing a whole lot. I hope that it goes away soon. I didn't sleep well again last night, which was also annoying. My ears are clicking and my throat is still sore, mostly on the left side, which is making swallowing uncomfortable. I'm doing everything I can to feel better, including a hot toddy last night. That tasted good at least!

The weather looks clear for most of the week into the weekend, though there are mumblings of the S word for some time on Sunday. I just hope we're able to get lots done during the week and into the weekend. The BF still wants to try to move the shed. I'd rather he not waste his energy on it, but whatever. I guess either way all the stuff has to be moved anyway. So we'll see what happens. His uncle said he needs to come get the bobcat this week, so I don't know what the BF is going to do this weekend. I hope he can get another machine home, but we'll see. At any rate, at least we can move stuff around. I need to suggest that he see if he can use his farm jack to really slowly jack up each part so that maybe he can use small blocks to create enough space to slide a full board underneath. Then he would be able to lift without straining the floor since it's not solid. But what do I know. LOL

I need to figure out Christmas presents in a hurry. I think I've got plenty of funds, but I need to figure out exactly what I'm getting for the BF and also my nephews and niece. I think I'm just going to get a gift card for my parents since they're moving. I don't know about my sister and brother in law either. I guess I'd better get planning!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every year I am such a scrooge on Christmas shopping. It is just not fun to go fight the crowds of people.