Hum.. when is too much-TOO Much?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a question here.. I have gone out to a very decent Japanese/Korean/Chinese buffet each weekend for the last two weekends and had all kinds of goodies but best of all the Miso/seaweed/tofu soup and you get to add as much seaweed as you like and I must say the first day I added two teaspoons of these tiny little dried up pellets to the cup and a spoon of chopped green onions and the miso broth with tofu in it and set it at the table to try their selection of sushi and cali rolls and the seaweed salad and just all kinds of yummy stuff.
Well needless to say I should have maybe only used one spoonful !! it filled the cup with wonderful little squares of wakame!! :lol:
I didn't use as much today but I was wondering.. is there such a thing as getting too much seaweed? are there any down sides to chowing down on it? I ate every bit too. plus a cup full of the seaweed salad which I was told was commonly thought of as Japanese but was really Korean with very thin shredded bell pepper and sesame seeds and a very savory sweet sour dressing.. (and would be just as lovely with some shredded cucumber in the summer for sure)
Not to forget all the nori in the two plate fulls of assorted sushi and rolls..
I found that I can buy the wakame on Amazon for a very good price-2lbs+ for $33. all freeze dried and the very same as they have there.
I have been buying the cheap Kikkoman instant miso/tofu with seaweed soup mix and having several of those cup's of soup a week and often have cut up squares of my nori paper for snacks.
So is it possible to over do? Or should I just chow down till I stop craving it so much? :hide

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything in there that could hurt you. I get cravings like that for certain foods too, and can eat nothing but that food for months on end, then one day I just don't want it like that :hu Enjoy your seaweed obsession! :D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I buy the bags of seaweed to add extra to the miso soup packets I get. I like the fried tofu, onion and seaweed flavor best, but it just doesn't have enough seaweed in it. So I don't think you can have to much. :lol:

My dogs will sit and beg for bites of nori if I open a little snack bag. They apparently like it even though it sticks to the roof of their mouths.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! I had not heard of any one overdosing on kelp or nori! but ya never know.. :D
I normally crave spinach and Brussels sprouts this time of the year too. that deep green veggie thing. I'm going to have to hit the big Asian Market in the nearby big town and look for the Korean seaweed salad in salt(did some google foo last night) too.. I guess you find that in the refrigerated section.. make some nice dressing and chow down.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think your tummy will let you know,and I agree about polluted waters leading to mercury,arsenic,or whatever in the seaweed.Iodine might be an issue so look into that.

I have not had miso in a while.Your post makes we want to order some. I used to get hatcho miso and sweet miso from Natural import.That with some seaweed was a great broth on cold days.Yum, I think I will get some and a jar of ume paste for my veggies. I wish I had an asian market close buy.Online prices are crazy.