Hurricane preparations

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just checked on mom and dad in southern VA. Currently just some wind but no rain yet. Florence has took a turn south, lessoned in intensity and slowed down forward movement. The first two are good, slowing down will dump more rain though.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where in southern VA? I mean, near the coast or farther out, don't need a town name. I won't hear from my ex-SIL so curious how it is where she and my nephew are. They're south west so probably fine.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Places by us are all braced to receive people who will be evacuating. Talladega raceway opened their huge area for people with campers. Many people getting ready for company. I think there's currently about 9 storms on the move behind this one.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow really?? That's awful, going to be a bad season it sounds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All you TX people are probably reliving your own weather event of last year. And some still haven't recovered from that. Sad but true.

It is sad that a year later things aren't all back to normal...but progress is progress even if it's slow. Hoping for the best for those in the path! Heard this morning that maybe 3% of folks have flood insurance....that's gonna suck that they will have to rely on FEMA for help.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Insurance is scandalous here! It honestly is the one big downside to living here. It's so expensive and if the companies for some reason feel you will claim, or claim a lot, they will not cover you. End of the story. A local man here had his house flooded once. He cannot get it insured any more as a result of that. The companies realised there is a small chance he may claim for flood damage in future, so they will not insure him.

Back to the weather, we're in for some wind next week. Nowhere near as bad as your storm, but it spurred Met Éireann into their usual get everyone in a panic with warnings.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/deadly-storm-helene-poses-a-13244916