Hurricane preparations

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A lot of people think that their home owners insurance will cover them in these circumstances, but homeowners insurance won't pay for flood damage. I buy flood insurance every year and I've never needed it....but by golly I will have it until the day I die!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Insurance is scandalous here! It honestly is the one big downside to living here. It's so expensive and if the companies for some reason feel you will claim, or claim a lot, they will not cover you. End of the story. A local man here had his house flooded once. He cannot get it insured any more as a result of that. The companies realised there is a small chance he may claim for flood damage in future, so they will not insure him.

Back to the weather, we're in for some wind next week. Nowhere near as bad as your storm, but it spurred Met Éireann into their usual get everyone in a panic with warnings.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/deadly-storm-helene-poses-a-13244916

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have to have insurance when in an apartment, too. When we got the renters insurance in Va Beach, it was something they asked if we wanted. We didn't only because we were second floor.

Friend of ours was ground floor apartment in Norfolk and they flooded once while his family lived there. They didnt have renters at all. Damaged everything on the floor. Being poor enlisted, replacing even the couch hurt. Then the jerks at his apartment wouldn't pay for remediation of the flood damage to the apartments themselves and tried to make the tenants pay. I can't remember it all now, been two decades, but the government got involved and everyone on the ground floor got financial assistance and help finding a new place. The management got in trouble. Big part of that was they refused to allow anyone to sandbag in front of their doors until after it flooded "because it's unsightly". In a run down, poor neighborhood.

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I wanted to post something about post-disaster, I see that MD is now taking refugees from the Carolina's. It is in the post phase that things get dicey for different reasons, looting, fraud, and anger are next after the emergency as the cleanup drags on. I wanted to share this as I attended a show this weekend, but I ran across a very interesting shoulder holster with a one click release.

http://www.usgungear.com/shop-online/shoulder-holsters-and-rigs

At the price of $40 the material and quality was there, this is a light and comfortable holster and sling. Mark and Wendy Fryer are owners and after discussing with them I purchased a sling and was incredibly surprised at the fit, quality, and release. In an emergency self-protection is self-preservation, during the initial stages of an emergency crime is purposefully under reported as emergency personnel are overwhelmed. And the reason I shared this is that shoulder holsters that are secure, functional, and fitted typically cost much more. The shoulder holster I got for $40 was fitted for a revolver. Lifetime warranty, "Speed release retention system" (that second item) one-click release.. nice. In respect to the gun question this is good advice

https://loadoutroom.com/20241/prepping-101-gun-question-2/

A used (you can save some money buying used) 357 revolver is the best bet, using 38-special rounds if recoil adverse, the shoulder holster at that price is comparable in costs to a Fobus which is a paddle waist type carry, but again.. with the retention system and warranty a genuinely good buy. I think the problems south of us in PA are just starting, not to be negative, just realistic. Finally I generally keep opines about firearms to myself, it is an emotional issue. However when I come across a small business with a patent and a genuinely better product, I share that information.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
It's official, we have a tropical storm heading our way. They are expecting it to come up from west Cork and they are issuing warnings for Dublin, which means it will come over Co Tipperary, where I live, on the way. Better stock up on bread and milk before everyone else does. After Ophelia, the moment they say "storm" everyone storms to the shops here lol As long as we don't lose power we'll be o.k. otherwise.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I saw that. Not often your part of the world gets that kind of weather.
Ophelia was our worst storm in 50-odd years. It's very unusual for us! The last year's been mad, with the hurricane, then the snow (worst in about 35 years), now this… And 5 weeks of no rain and water restrictions over summer. No rain in Ireland?!? I can't wait to see what winter has in store for us :hide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Holy Cannoli! Ya'll getting a little touch of what we've got going over here. Hope they don't turn out to be too bad!

Latest posts