Hypermiling...anyone else do this?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I didn't know it had a term already, but I have been doing it for many years and have increased my practice of this since gas prices went so high.

What is hypermiling?

Common

Drivers can increase a vehicle's miles per gallon simply by remaining focused while driving and anticipating the need to brake or accelerate. Hypermilers seek to minimize both braking and rapid acceleration. Another way to improve fuel economy is by planning routes in advance to determine the shortest distance and fewest stops. Fuel can be saved by shutting the engine off, rather than allowing it to idle while stopped or parked. Also, drivers should be conscious of other behaviors that may potentially sap a vehicle's fuel such as running the air conditioning or driving with the windows down.[7]

[edit] Maintenance
Properly inflating tires
Reducing weight load by removing unnecessary objects from vehicle

[edit] Common hypermiling terms
Common terms used in hypermiling are:[8]

FE - fuel economy
DWB - driving without brakes
DWL - driving with load
FAS - forced auto stop, basically coasting with the engine off
P&G - pulse and glide
ICE - internal combustion engine
PP - potential parking
RR - ridge riding
SHM - super highway mode
SAHM - super Atkinson highway mode
rabbit timing
smart braking
face out

[edit] Extreme

Generally, the recommended way to hypermile is using only the common techniques. However, extreme hypermilers have been known to use some controversial techniques:

drafting behind trucks
driving far below the speed limit at times
taking sharp curves at high speeds (to avoid losing energy to braking)
coasting with the engine off
passing red lights or stop signs in areas of low traffic
over-inflating tires to reduce rolling resistance
Turning off the engine while stopped at lights can be difficult to do properly. Though the engine does not burn fuel while it is off, the motorist may feel pressured to rapidly start the car and accelerate when the light turns green, thereby using more fuel and defeating the purpose of turning the engine off. Starts to the engine also consume some fuel. Some estimates are that the engine uses as much fuel to start up while still hot as it would during 30 seconds of idling[citation needed], although this only applies for carburetted engines[citation needed]. Fuel injected engines use much less during startup[citation needed]. Natural Resources Canada indicates that this trade-off time is about 10 seconds[9].

Using any one of these techniques presents a safety hazard, not just for the participant, but others on the road as well. Coasting with the engine off promotes 2 factors that set up a hypermiler for disaster. The engine of your car not only helps move it but it also helps it stop and steer as well. Dependent upon the vehicle that is driven if the engine turns off, so does power steering assist and so does the vacuum assist to aid with braking.
Here's a few links to some helpful tips on fuel reduction using these methods:

http://www.hypermiling.com/car-mpg.html

Anyone else practice these since the gas prices went up? I used to be a lead foot...seriously!!! Like my time and life were so important that I had to fly everywhere I went. Now I've learned to go around 50-53 mph, coast down easy slopes (in neutral), gear down going up and down these mountains to save fuel AND my brakes.

The difference? I can definitely see a difference in my gas mileage! I noticed, also, that I arrive within 5 mins. of when I used to ~when I drove like Earnhardt! I feel less tense when I drive, I see more of the beauty around me, I get to smirk at others who are barreling past me like a freight train in the passing lanes, in the seat I used to occupy~flying through my life...and my fuel...like a bat outta h***! Everything slows down, feels more peaceful, and my driving now has a smooth rhythm~instead of Led Zeppelin its like a good James Taylor tune! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
interesting info

nah, I don't drive different. I do have a lead foot and yea, I want to get there fast so I haven't changed that much. I drive a little over the speed limit but not excessive.

One thing I did change, direct routes and circle shopping. Plan the stops and drive to all of them in a direct route straight back to home.

I drive slower some days cause I am tired, sick, or just in a slow mood for some reason....lol

I know I will never shut off my car at a red light, that one suggestion seemed strange to me.

Bee didn't you post this before somewhere. I think this is the same info in a "tire" thread or something.....I don't know...but good info to post out there again.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am a big P&G fan. Did that on a trip to Greeley once. Between that and the drafting* I ended up getting 47 mpg. Typical mpg is around 26-35 for me.

*I wasn't trying to draft, but when you drive in Colorado, if you leave ANY space between you and the car in front of you, someone is going to try and wedge their big old truck or SUV in that space no matter how small. I just drafted off the construction trucks that kept cutting in front of me :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know I will never shut off my car at a red light, that one suggestion seemed strange to me.

Bee didn't you post this before somewhere. I think this is the same info in a "tire" thread or something.....I don't know...but good info to post out there again.
Yea, FC, if you look closely at the info following that stopping at the red lights thingy, it will tell you just how dangerous and counter-productive that manuever is!

I know we mentioned some of the things briefly in the other thread, but this one goes into more depth on how effective it can be and all the little ways of doing it.

I think anyone wanting to save money, save wear and tear on their vehicles~thus avoiding more money spent on more cars and car repairs, and wanting to lower the environmental impact of the wasted fuel, higher carbon emissions, etc. would enjoy employing many of these tactics.

Not to mention that driving slower can avoid potential accidents with other motorists, pedestrians, deer or pets and maybe save you money spent on speeding tickets~thereby avoiding an increase on your insurance premiums!

See how it all ties into SS??? :D :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
???????? "Using any one of these techniques presents a safety hazard, not just for the participant, but others on the road as well. Coasting with the engine off promotes 2 factors that set up a hypermiler for disaster. The engine of your car not only helps move it but it also helps it stop and steer as well. Dependent upon the vehicle that is driven if the engine turns off, so does power steering assist and so does the vacuum assist to aid with braking."???????

Some of it like route planning or driving slower, etc is only good sense but driving a curve at speed, or not have use of power brakes ceases to be gas saving when you total your car and end up in the hospital or, even worse, total mine and send me to the hospital.

So I do hope that the first part of this is what is done, not the extreme? :smack

Sometimes when I drive, it seems like a game to pace myself to avoid a lot of breaking or to take the straightest path in a curvy road ( while staying in the proper lane.) I have been known to put my truck into it's highest gear to get the most from a downhill. But if I turn it off, I would become a bullet heading off a 200 foot cliff. :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Generally, the recommended way to hypermile is using only the common techniques. However, extreme hypermilers have been known to use some controversial techniques:
Well, they did preface the "extreme" techniques with a warning.... :rolleyes:

I coast, at times, but only in neutral, which does not turn off the engine or power steering or brakes. When you live in the mountains, you can coast for quite a ways, if you don't mind the wear and tear on your brakes. I generally don't coast unless on a straight away, slight grade that is just above my home at the foot of the mountains.

If you are driving slow enough, some curves won't need braking until you are late in the arc.

Its just driving with some intensity and afore thought, to save your car and your gas. I generally gear down on the steep grades, as riding one's brakes can be hazardous on these mountains. When they get hot enough, they lose traction and you have NO brakes at all.

Since I live at the base of a very large mountain, I can always smell the flatlanders as they come by my house~the smell of burning brakes!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I coast, at times, but only in neutral, which does not turn off the engine or power steering or brakes. When you live in the mountains, you can coast for quite a ways, if you don't mind the wear and tear on your brakes.
Yup. Gotta love those huge grades...LOL

I have a stick shift and just put my little golf in neutral and coast. It is MUCH easier to replace brake pads than a freaking starter AND it is way less dangerous.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I do the whole thinking ahead about accelerating and slowing....I just shoot for a steady ride.
DH on the other hand, accelerates TO the red light :he

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I used to do this also, Dace! When I was leadfooting around it was speeding up, jerking to a stop, all the time. I like the smooth rhythm of slowing down everything now. I'm less tense when I drive and I enjoy it more. I drive alot in my job...all day, actually, so this helps me relax into it.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ever since we moved out to the country I really started planning my trips into town to loop my stops in order. Sometimes when I need to make a lot of them I make a list in the order to make them! I never shut my engine off at red lights but i do not let it idle for more than 1 minute anywhere, unless it is a cold morning & it needs to warm up a little before I go anywhere. And i have combined my trips too, no more one place trips to town for the last 9 yrs unless no other reason to go but for a Dr's appt.