Hypermiling...anyone else do this?

Reaction score
Just be careful Hypermiling can cause road rage. Here in Colorado their passing a law that you have to pull over on 2 lane roads and let people pass if you get more than 5 cars behind you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I agree with this. Nothing more frustrating than someone ignoring other's needs on the road. If you can go slow to wherever you are going, then it won't hurt to stay slow in the passing lane and scootch over, or pull off and let folks go on about their business.

Nothing makes me more angry on the road than someone who ignores the stream of traffic behind them. There is really no excuse for it. :(

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Just be careful Hypermiling can cause road rage. Here in Colorado their passing a law that you have to pull over on 2 lane roads and let people pass if you get more than 5 cars behind you.
Wouldn't that just be common courtesy to pull over & let everyone go around you? I know there are people who don't. But there are still some decent people in this world. All you have to do is look at this forum & you can see that.

Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
Big Daddy said:
Wouldn't that just be common courtesy to pull over & let everyone go around you? I know there are people who don't. But there are still some decent people in this world. All you have to do is look at this forum & you can see that.
Well you would think so. Common courtesy would imply that's it's common though. It's actually very rare. The goal of hypermiling is to accelerate and decelerate as little as possible. Pulling over to let people that want to go the speed limit or above entails decelerating and the accelerating. So I wouldn't expect to see that.

I live 35 miles from Denver and have to drive about 25 miles on 2 lane roads. Some country people feel that driving 10 mph under the speed limit is something that all people should do. They let you know that by driving that speed. Even 35 miles from Denver there is quite a bit of growth and traffic. There are very few passing zones, thus the purpose of the law. It is very common to see some oblivious idiot driving 45 in a 55 with 15 cars behind him.

By the way. Coasting down hills is dangerous. In Colorado basic driver training teaches you to use your gears to help keep your car under control on hills. In the mountains it is a necessity. Ask any truck driver what happens when you rely on brakes only coming down a hill. Brakes are expensive too. On most cars over 2000 the disc rotors can't be turned to remove gouges and the mileage between needing just pads and needing pads and rotors isn't much. If you do the math the gas savings doesn't pan out.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Nothing makes me more angry on the road than someone who ignores the stream of traffic behind them. There is really no excuse for it
I agree...lead, follow, or get the heck out of the way!

Common courtesy would imply that's it's common though. It's actually very rare.
Sad but true