I Am A Seed Hoarder

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I don't have a stockpile of seeds this year, just a few packets scattered around the mess taking up half my kitchen table :hide As for gardening... I'm going to grow pumpkins again and hopefully have more joy this year, along with some tomatoes (ditto). And more potatoes than I grew this year! Seed-wise I asked my brother to bring me some gem squash seeds from S.A. when he comes for a visit in the new year. I'm planning on "planting" some chicken seeds in spring, so between that and finally getting the shed sorted out I don't think I'm going to have much time and energy for much else.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hard to let a good bucket full of poo just sit, isn't it? Things are frozen solid here. When time and a warm day coincide, I'm pulling the poosicles out of the coop, and dumping them into a new compost bin, then adding more leaves to the coop bedding from my carefully collected and hoarded pile. In years past, I've worked on DLM in the coop, but since everything freezes solid, I'm trying this approach this year.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am not a winter person. But there are those who live here and love the winter time activities: skiing, both down hill and x-c, snow shoeing, snow mobiling, and just playing in the snow. Me, I just bide my time, consider every day that is not a snow storm, an ice storm, or freeze your nose hairs cold to be a super blessing! Any day that gets up to 20*F is a treat for me!

As for me, I don't know how any one can live in a super warm climate. I wilt at any temp above 75*.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
freeze your nose hairs cold
:th:lol: Now THAT'S a visual, lol!

Some years back (see how I refuse to say 'when I was younger'?) I loved the cold...at least Texas cold. But as time goes by - (see, I didn't say 'when I got older')I find that my tolerance to cold weather is diminishing. I suited up this morning and went outside and decided that I'm just a wuss, lol. I got hot when I got busy.

I'm with Bay on AC - it is truly a lifesaver!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Seed catalogs keep coming in the mail. My wife puts them on my table and I put them in the paper and cardboard box to burn. Only problem is those pretty seed catalogs paper is coated in something and the don't burn so easy. I already bought my seeds from Baker Creek for the year so I'm good to go.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BAY -- I didn't even hear you come in my house!! So where did you place the boxes of seed? Surely this was MY stash :lol: Boxes, buckets, bags, hundreds of packets!

Then, I re-read. NOPE, not mine because you didn't mention the tobacco, chicory, millets or mangel beets! Nope, your own collection....similar to mine! You know, we may just need to swap a few things because I have enough turnips to plant 20 acres :th. OK -- they were "almost" free on discount and my goats & chickens love them. It was for THEM that I bought to seed out in pastures. Does that help?

My pigs were also good gardeners! Some of my best butternut was from their pen. Their tomato starts were outstanding, too. :rolleyes: Do I need to buy more pigs :idunno Saw some baby AGHs for $25 each on CL, close by. No, I'm thinking more along the line of "use the tractor to till". It's raining here this morning -- what's new???????? I'm so over it. Another week at home and more rain. It's warm. If I plant, it WILL get cold!! :( What to do??

I have composted stuff everywhere. More in production every day. Land waiting on me AND goats waiting to eat it all no matter how defiant I may be.:hu The chickens are helping to dethatch (little scratch in the garden area helps) as I've opened the gate to that place. I keep checking the calendar to be sure the dates are what they are. I want to PLANT!!! Brought home another 200 cups to start seed yesterday (coffee demo leftovers)….:celebrateI'm ready.