I Am A Seed Hoarder

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're right, she's not!! :lol: Just "sounded" good.

I'd like to start seed but, storm front coming in with poss snow. :( I'll be busy with chores. At least I already moved all of Monday work to Wed, so if bad roads I am home. :D

Hey, I can sort thru seeds, AGAIN.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dang! Thier on to me! :hide
Ive been looking at my seeds and am not nearly that bad but am looking to order some more seeds this weekend. :huGot some more cardboard to lay down if its not too windy. :bowMight get some lime to put down first then the board.
Found an ad on CL for free wood chips. Might go load up the truck this weekend. :clap

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looking a my seeds I'm like "what were you thinking?" It's an array of everything I think would be so, so good. This is a testament to eating well but, also sampling things, new varieties, all that. :rolleyes:

Since it's raining, I'm off work, it has come to mind that I need to decide WHAT I eat & need to plant. Well, that list is way less than what I have. OK, tomatoes -- but I have about 12 varieties. Squashes -- again, several types. This is something I need to control :D Plus, what do I actually eat? How much does one person need? Decision, decisions. I have charts to give you an idea of production per plant, just back to what do I truly want/need/use. Seems I need some areas of intensive planting with one or two plants so I can produce and then decide if that is a keeper.

Like many/most gardeners, I want it all!! :idunno I need help in the garden....I'm getting cardboard from stores I work. Need weed control -- see that already. My kids aren't interested.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Every season, I end up bringing home several truck loads of cardboard. I use it to smother poison ivy, under the BTE mulch in the orchard, in the garden paths, where ever I'm smothering existing vegetation before expanding the sheet compost beds. A good place to score cardboard in huge pieces is an appliance warehouse.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Psh not hoarding, just collecting! :hide ;)
I've been wanting to collect extra seeds, but find myself making packs for friends and acquaintances who want to try their hand at gardening. Also One of the local libraries takes seeds too and packs them so those who can't buy seeds can 'check them out' to grow them, seed save and bring some back to redo the cycle which is awesome! I'm gonna try to grow some black radish seeds this year I got from the library

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i definitely am a seed hoarder. after about 10yrs of growing many different kinds of beans i had to go through my collection and get rid of some of them. does anyone really need several hundred different kinds of brown beans? i did pare my collection down from what it was to a more reasonable amount:

before:

p2210014_Bean_Sorting_thm.jpg

after:

p4150005_Bean_Sorting_Fin_thm.jpg

note that some of those tiny containers may contain a mix of seeds...

i did not finish going through all of them, but at least progress was made. i will try another round this winter as i have about 60 - 100 new ones. eek! :)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How many varieties do you grow out each season? Do you eat A LOT of beans?

this year i planted about 50 different ones, i have not yet sorted them all back from harvest yet to know how many i have in return, but it is often more than what i planted due to some of them still spinning off variations. i am going to simplify next year's plantings because 50 is too many for the space i have (here in my room) and also in the gardens, but also in that i've been finding varieties which work better so i want to give more space to those to get those genes going in the bean gardens. i have a lot of new crosses showing up and i want to evaluate those as i can. it is interesting to me to be the only person in the world with a certain bean that i've created (well Mother Nature has done most of the work, but i've enabled her and the bees to do it by repeatedly planting certain beans close to each other to encourage the crosses to happen).

and yes, we eat a lot of beans! :) if you do the math on calories you can substitute in recipes for things like cheeses and meats and the extra fiber helps you feel full longer along with helping keeping the digestive system moving along. even if you only replace half the cheese or meat you can often cut a hundred calories or more per meal and that is often good enough for me to lose weight gradually.

Latest posts