I Am A Seed Hoarder

mischief

Power Conserver
Reaction score
LMAO!!! I thought I was the only one! Well, now I feel right at home.
This year, I did buy some but mainly they were seed potatoes, cos I didnt have any Cliff Kidneys left and wanted to try another purple one that sounded tasty. I even planted them...in tubs this year so I have room for other things.

I found an old heirloom pea seed I forgot I have and they are even starting to sprout. These are dwarf peas so I can use the trellises for Luffas, Rock melons, cucumbers, gherkins, bitter melon, Yard long beans......
Actually, I have been hoarding 'trellises' too. I got another 5 full sheets of concrete re-inforcing mesh a couple years ago cos it was on a deleted item sale. I need to get the angle grinder out so I can cut them up to fit the beds and along the fences.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A gal can never have too many seeds, or trellises! I have used my kid's old swingset in the garden for years. (My son turned 40 this year!!!) I LOVE cattle panels for fencing, trellising, and building projects. These are the best invention since sliced bread: Premier 1 Spiral fence connectors

You just line up your fencing material, then drop the spiral down. It makes a fantastic hinge or connector, allowing you to set the 2 pieces of fencing at any angle in relation to each other. You could even use one connector to hook up 3 or more panels

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A cow panel/swing set trellis would make a cool place to sit under!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now, there's something I've not thought about. Since I'm remodeling my garden, putting in RB, and doing some new trellis designs, I may not need the swing set in the garden. I could hang a lawn swing/bench from it!

I want to build a V shaped trellis, with the beans planted at the base of the V in the center of the RB. Then, I can plant shade tolerant veggies on either side of the rows of pole beans. The pods will hang down so they can be easily picked. When using the swing set, the pods hung inside the vines, making them difficult to reach, and see.

An other option will be to use a CP arch that spans from one bed to an other, creating an arbor effect where I can walk under the arbor, between the RB and harvest the beans. So many options!!!

mischief

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lol.. thats why I use the reinforcing mesh. the ones I had before I attached them to fences etc, were cut at 1m wide by 2m tall. I always cut off the bottom 'line' so there were 'pins' that could help anchor them to the ground. When they are placed zigzag and tied all they need is a stake at each end to keep them stable and maybe one along the top if it gets too windy.

Then you can arrange them so you have a sun side and a shadier side..or less windy side.
I like mixing my plantings so different things take up different spaces and/or root zones. I blame my nana, her garden was everything everywhere all together and I just loved that, except when if came to being asked to help weed.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sooooo, @baymule how did you do this year using up all those seeds??
I have lots that never got planted. The spring was waaaaaay too wet, and then it was too hot for a spring garden. So those seeds were kept for a fall garden but it was in the 100 degree range right up into October, then we had early frost. My okra, rosemary, and peppers did well. Ever hopeful, maybe 2020 will be the year for a spring garden.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sooooo, @baymule how did you do this year using up all those seeds??
I have lots that never got planted. The spring was waaaaaay too wet, and then it was too hot for a spring garden. So those seeds were kept for a fall garden but it was in the 100 degree range right up into October, then we had early frost. My okra, rosemary, and peppers did well. Ever hopeful, maybe 2020 will be the year for a spring garden.
I planted a bunch of stuff. DH had prostrate surgery and could do nothing, not even ride in the Kawasaki mule. Drought struck, bugs showed up and called all their friends, the weeds galloped away, life happened. the garden was a bust. I got enough English peas to put some in the freezer because they made before it got so hot. When I saw how it was going, I didn't even plant squash. Squash is no brainer, but it wasn't even worth trying this year. There is always next year!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember an Elvis Presley song, just came to mind...you ever get one of those days boy....
I've had seasons like that. Just no use even getting upset about them...shstuff happens.

i'm of similar philosophy, i try to not get upset about things, i'd rather use my energy to observe, improve and then get on with it. :)

change is hard for some people... *sigh*