I Am A Seed Hoarder

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is amazing to me to plant a single bean seed type and get seven types of beans in return, but this plays havoc on my goal to winnow things down when it happens for more than one of the beans i planted.

this year i planted a seed i called Monster hoping i would get back some of the original pattern but not one of them did that (i still have more seeds to plant for next year if i want to try again). the good news with the Monster spin offs is that they are all sturdy plants. the bad news is that i don't know yet if any of them are stable or if they'll keep spinning off new ones. Monster was a spin off from a bean called Dappled Grey, i did get some Dappled Grey back.

in the case of a bean i call Dominoes i did get a few seeds of the type planted in return, but i also got around eight other types too.

that's 15 more beans from 2 beans planted to track or ditch or ... some of them are very interesting - i'm not going to be able to ditch all of them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I started going through my chaotic stash of seeds yesterday. I found lots of empty seed packets and lots of seeds in the bottom of the bin. I may dedicate an entire area to a "mystery garden." :hu

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That happens with seeds -- especially with older packets where the glue gives out and we are shuffling through them! I bought a few from super clearance prices last year, arrived in mylar pkg. Very nice and VERY savable if not opened.

Guess it's early BUT, time to think (and HOPE) about the Spring garden. I think many of us had dud times for 2019 growth. I sure miss the fresh veggies and full jars/freezer. So this year will be a much anticipated year for us all. I'm so set for seeds that I can't justify buying more -- unless these don't germinate. Well, since there are many that are several (!!) years old, I will be starting them in flats this year what happens, happens. There is great confidence that many will germinate and I will have all I need for transplanting. In fact, so many selections that there may be numerous plants out there just to use them up and try those I bought to "try" a couple years ago. It's obvious right now that I will need to set aside another garden area. Then, make time to care for it....and harvest, preserve. There's that stay home issue again. :D

Can we fast forward to Feb right now?? I hate to wait. Plus, I am not a fan of "winter"..... even with the good things the cold does out there.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That’s just Mother Nature throwing you a curve ball.

i can handle it! when i sorted my bean collection last winter i cleared three shelves of space. :)

last night i finally got down through all the box tops i had stacked on my extra futon/couch (i really don't need this in my room in addition to the one i am perched on right now, but Mom will not let me get rid of it).

i only have about a half dozen of the first sort to do and since i've been combining things that i can as i've been going along it is going well. i may even finish those first sorts today depending upon how much i get sidetracked from other things, but it is nice because this gives me space back to work on other things. first though i should dust the floor. it's not too bad, the dustbunnies have not yet gotten to the military formations stage yet.

my other seed hoarding tasks besides sorting beans is that i have to go through and take the fuzz off some milkweed and butterfly weed seeds. it makes them easier to handle if you don't have fuzz flying all over the place...

the cosmo seeds are already done (i don't winnow the chaff from them much, it's just not worth it).

i haven't looked at the tulip seed pods i have drying yet... nor the delphiniums or columbines.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can we fast forward to Feb right now?? I hate to wait. Plus, I am not a fan of "winter"..... even with the good things the cold does out there.

noooo! i need time to get ready for spring! everything i put off all summer is waiting for me to get a round tuit and i have things to do for the seed swap to be ready for that. i really need all four seasons. the down time in the winter gives me a breather to read and ponder other things.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gotta agree - as impatient as I am to have spring here - I NEEEEEEED some winter. Not that I like it - but it'll give me time to get prepared. Our winters are mild enough that I can still get a lot of garden preps started.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I can prep in Spring temperatures! :lol:

Besides -- Feb is cold here! One month of cold is enough for me. I noticed that DS has some nice pieces of 2X8 plywood and some old storm doors from a job he did. I see a cold frame starting here!! The early cabbage, broccoli, etc. will love it.

I'll get it set up, add compost in Feb -- let the solar warm it and plant some cold crops in there. Be time to set them out when they get about the size to do that. Yep, then room for other starts. . It will do until a greenhouse happens.