I am going back to work

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There are 21 cases of Covid-19 in my county as of this morning. One 91 year old man has died. I'm also thinking that along with insufficient training, a "work the mule to death" attitude, and a killer virus whirling around, maybe I just need to stay home and lay low. Raising the feeder pigs, Cornish Cross chickens and a big (hopefully) garden plus all my other farm duties, IS a full time job. Add 12 hour shifts on concrete with very little to none sit down time, exhaustion, and I see a weakened immunity system coming at me like a freight train. Hmmmm……..

Thanks for this discussion y'all. Actually talking to someone that is not my husband helps me put this in proper perspective and I don't like what I am coming up with.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sounds like they think they have you "by the short hairs" so they can treat you shabby and you won't do anything about it. I've never understood employers with that sort of attitude when, by just giving an employee a bit of respect they can get twice as much work out of them. Hope you can find a better job soon!
I have never been one to let anybody back me in a corner. I have never had a job that I HAD to have. If I could find that one, I sure could find another, and I have. I'm thinking right now I don't want ANY job. Yup, talking this out is helping me make a decision.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've dealt with that attitude almost all of my entire working career. Being forced to sign out for a lunch I never took, having to work through that lunch to meet some impossible productivity standard, and then they have the balls to make me sign an affidavit stating that if I work off the clock I am subject to discipline or possible dismissal. My hubby has NEVER been treated so shabbily, working retail and construction design. It seems that if you are in the medical profession, you get sh!+ on physically, as well as by management.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bay, I think you are coming to a decision which is, at this time a survival decision. As much as I'd like to think this will be a distant memory in a month... I don't think that's gonna be the case.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bay, I think you are coming to a decision which is, at this time a survival decision. As much as I'd like to think this will be a distant memory in a month... I don't think that's gonna be the case.

no, it's gonna be a bumpy ride and some of us may not survive. i want to see tomorrow and so many things, but there is nothing certain.

yet i also think that this will not be as bad as the end of the country or civilization, it will just be a horrible time to get through and then life will move on for those who are left and hopefully we'll have learned something from it.

:hugs

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have never been one to let anybody back me in a corner. I have never had a job that I HAD to have. If I could find that one, I sure could find another, and I have. I'm thinking right now I don't want ANY job. Yup, talking this out is helping me make a decision.

that is how i felt for a long time after my last debacle. it took me three years before i finally worked off the crap that job did to me.

:hugs

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think you have made the decision already, and that is right for you and they just don't know it yet. Things like telling you that you cannot take your "lunch" break is just pushing it past the limit. Realizing that they are understaffed would make you feel like you should do some extra if they were treating you decent... telling you that you "have to" is just asking for trouble.
I realize that the idea of working was to help pay off things that hit you guys right between the eyes. But yeah, as you are realizing, this can compromise your immune system also, and that would be worse in the long run. Your husband needs you healthy, and there will be other things that you might be able to do to help whittle down the debt from all the repairs this past year.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got called in this morning ON MY DAY OFF because the administrator needed me to fill out a W-4. I've been there 3 weeks and she just now realizes I need to fill out a W-4? Then she hands me a ream of paper, most of which has been copied so many times that it was a faint shade of gray, for the most part unreadable. It was all sorts of stuff. There were 2 pages I was to initial each sentence or two, describing how I have received, read and understand a myriad of rules, laws, HIPPA, employee handbook and so on, that I haven't received, read and durn sure don't understand what I've never even got. I initialed all of them, getting madder and more disgusted by the minute. I filled out all of it, even though I had already filled out the first 3 pages when I was hired. I handed it back to her and gave 2 weeks notice.

I have never, ever, in my whole life worked for such a disorganized, rawhide, bassackwards outfit like this. The office is a series of tables, all covered with stacks of papers, it is a mess. Training was vastly inadequate, there is no training program. I'll finish out my two weeks. I'm not saying anything about what a crappy place it is, that's their problem, not mine.

On the financial side, I flipped several of the credit cards to 0% accounts and consolidated them. I paid off the smaller ones. so we are in pretty good shape right now. We'll be ok.

Thanks y'all for letting me rant. I