I caught someone hunting in my YARD today!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We were out working around the yard and I heard a gunshot...it sounded really close, and I had just a few minutes before heard a truck pull in to my driveway and then back out. We have two driveways...one that comes to the house and one about 200 feet over the other side of the property for lake access.
Anyway i started running down the road to see if I could figure out where the shots were fired because I knew they were fired on my land. This truck backs out of my other driveway and leaves. I followed it's tire tracks to one of my neighbors places. I looked in the truck and there was a gun on the seat...they were all standing around in the back yard. It just so happens that it was a guy we know who lives about 2 miles away! I started reaming on him because there are children who play in the bush around here and it is NO place to have a gun out...AND DEFINITELY NOT ON MY PROPERTY!
So he argues with me that he was not on my property! I told him I saw him pull out of my drive so yes he was...THEN he tries to tell me that people are allowed to hunt partridge on private property. I don't think so! Are people allowed to just shoot of 12 gauge shotguns anywhere they please? I am very upset with this guy!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Doesn't that just chap your *bleep*!

We are having issues with our neighbors, too. They just put up a tree stand on the corner of the property line where their ground and our ground meets. Problem is, it is right behind the goat pasture! AND clear shot to my
house! So DH is livid because if anyone hunts back there, they risk shooting my house, my goats, my chickens...etc.

We are going to call the game warden tomorrow to see what we can do about it.

PLUS they don't have permission to hunt our property, and where they are set up, we know they are going to try!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
The absolute nerve and gall of some people. I know you're in Canada, but I don't think he would be allowed to hunt your property without permission. I'm glad you confronted him, at least he knows you know. But, if there is a next time - Don't Go Alone!

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you don't have them I would put up no trespassing signs. The signs may not keep them off your property but they will give you more legal recourse.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WHAT a FARTS!!!!! I literally HATE when these kind of hunters give other hunters a bad name! Its like the grass is always greener with some people. Somehow, in their pea-brains, they see a No Hunting sign and automatically deduce that deer can read and will stay on the "protected" land during hunting season.....so, they just HAVE to slide on over and see the big stash of wildlife behind the property line. All the while, in their miniscule minds, they are probably thinking that the property owner is just being selfish by hording all those animals on their property!

My folks fought this fight for many years and the range of excuses and arguments should be registered in the Idiot's Hall of Fame. Dad's life has been threatened on his own property on a few occasions....I can't even imagine threatening to kill someone~ while standing on their property~ over an animal. People are nuts......add beer, blaze orange, and a gun and you have certifiable psychos with no concept of right and wrong!

Next time, take down their license plate number, call the game warden, make a big stink over it. EACH time....and take your camera! Pretty soon they will get tired of the hassle and leave you alone. There are other properties to poach on without running into owners who confront. Be careful!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh I didn't go alone...I just did all the hollering...my DH KNEW right away when i started walking up the raod that some poor guy was gonna get a tongue lashing and he figured he better at least follow to make sure I didn't get shot for yelling at him:>) My DH is very nonconfrontational but he makes sure he is there in case the offending party decides to retaliate!;)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It was really kind of funny actually, here I am yelling at the guy and the four other guys that were there are all just looking sheepishly at the ground like they were SO glad it wasn't them :lol: Is surprised at who it was though because he had just had coffee at my house that morning!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
It was really kind of funny actually, here I am yelling at the guy and the four other guys that were there are all just looking sheepishly at the ground like they were SO glad it wasn't them :lol: Is surprised at who it was though because he had just had coffee at my house that morning!
Now, the fact that he had coffee in my house that very morning would just really p$%^ss me off. I'm more confrontational, too. Your husband sounds alot like mine. Kind of like he enjoys watching someone else get it for a change. :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that person had coffee at your house! and is a neighbor that close! and is supposedly a decent neighbor cause heck he had coffee at your home....and he did this to you. And he said it wasn't him, and said it was legal to shoot on private property without permission.

WOW.....that just goes to show you what character this person really. I would be stopping the coffee and watching with camera etc. to nail him to the wall the next time.

isn't it horrible how a "supposedly" decent neighbor can become a royal pain in the butt in a heartbeat......feel for ya and you still have to live near him....ugh!
:(

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh I don't think he'll try that again. He carries a gun in his truck, happened to see a partridge in my yard, shot at it without my permission, scared the heck out of me, teed me right off, and now he knows my temper. I really don't think he'll do that again, I bluntly told him NOT to. If he does i will call in his plate # to the police. I will not risk the lives of the kids who enjoy running back and forth through these woods in the name of whatever 'friendship' this guy thinks he owns. Friendship asks and doesn't just take...so he wasn't being a friend to us...