I got a Family Grain Mill!

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Have you tried running it with a drill? This is one of my deciding factors. I've had shoulder surgery, and hubby is headed in that direction. So, we will hand crank when needed. But, I have a Ryobi drill with multiple re-chargeable batteries. That should make it super easy for us. When I have some spare $$, I expect I'll buy an extra set of stones/burrs, and the other "wear out" parts.
No I haven used a drill , but it would be good to try out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love my Family Grain Mill. I don’t use it often enough, I have some Painted Mountain corn I need to grind. Got more almost ready to harvest out in the garden.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congratulations! We have the same one and love it :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, the oven was delivered yesterday afternoon and is being installed now. Naturally the hole in the cabinet is not the same size for the new oven, so adjustments must be made. I don't care at this point, if it is propped up on a barstool, just wire it up and let me get to cookin' !!!! :lol:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Stinks you had to buy a new one, and especially right after getting a new toy!!! Hope you get it sorted and get to mill to your hearts content :)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have one like that on my wish list at Amazon! They come with a kitchenade adapter and the wooden hand crank base.. it is out of stock right now but at least I am close to having enuf to buy it..

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Emerald said:
I have one like that on my wish list at Amazon! They come with a kitchenade adapter and the wooden hand crank base.. it is out of stock right now but at least I am close to having enuf to buy it..
Take a look here.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fgm.html

I called them and got a discount! I got the flaker attachment and the motor with the hand crank for $338.90

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
Emerald said:
Take a look here.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/fgm.html

I called them and got a discount! I got the flaker attachment and the motor with the hand crank for $338.90
Thanks for the link! I think I've been there before looking and drooling! But I make Amazon money online and I'd have to switch to paypal for that site. but it might be worth it.. I saw that they had a meat grinder that could be used with the adapter too..

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the hand crank mill, plus the Kitchen Aide adapter; have had them for a couple of years, and am very happy with the way it works. I hesitated for a long while, as DH has never been terribly fond of my homemade whole wheat bread. Turns out it was the flour from the market, and not my bread at all! Freshly ground hard white wheat is something else entirely from even the better wh. wheat, already ground flour. I also have soft white wheat berries, as well as spelt, rye, and corn. Be aware that the Family Grain Mill instructions say not to grind popcorn, as it is too hard; but regular field corn is fine.