I got a Family Grain Mill!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I grew Hastings Prolific White Dent Corn for corn meal. I ordered the seed from @HomesteaderWife on TEG and was happy to get them. Crows pulled up a bunch of the corn sprouts. I put compost on the plants, God provided the rain. We turned our attention to finishing the outer parameter fence, then slaughtered 3 hogs. I processed one for our neighbor and one for us. By this time it was beastly scorching hot. Weeds took off and did rather well. LOL I picked and shucked the corn a couple weeks ago. I shelled it two days ago and got out the grain mill today. It has been quite a while since i played with my grain mill! My husband and I milled 6 cups of corn and got 10 1/2 cups of meal. I made hot water cornbread with chopped onions and it was delicious. I have corn from the biggest and best set aside for seed.

img_1955-jpg.21263

img_1956-jpg.21264

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That looks great, @baymule! It reminds me of the ground corn we used to buy in South Africa to make porridge with. It's practically a staple in that country. N/A here though :( I do miss it!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How did you make corn porridge @sumi?

Today I milled some wheat, tomorrow I'll make rolls with my grand daughters.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule , how long have you had the Family Grain Mill? How often do you use it? And, if you were to buy again, would you buy the same one?

Any other readers, do you have a grain mill? If so, what model and please give your assessment for ease of use, and quality of product. @Beekissed ? What say you????

For those who do long term grain storage, I hate the idea of heat treating the grain before sealing it. I would rather vac seal, perhaps with a dessicant, then freeze for a couple of weeks. Thoughts? It would be a horror to invest money in grain, and storage space, only to find it infiltrated by insects. We don't use much flour. But, given the state of the world, I do believe it would be prudent to be prepared.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@baymule , how long have you had the Family Grain Mill? How often do you use it? And, if you were to buy again, would you buy the same one?

Any other readers, do you have a grain mill? If so, what model and please give your assessment for ease of use, and quality of product. @Beekissed ? What say you????

For those who do long term grain storage, I hate the idea of heat treating the grain before sealing it. I would rather vac seal, perhaps with a dessicant, then freeze for a couple of weeks. Thoughts? It would be a horror to invest money in grain, and storage space, only to find it infiltrated by insects. We don't use much flour. But, given the state of the world, I do believe it would be prudent to be prepared.
I have had this one for years
2844.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

I don't know if the grain I was blessed/gifted with was heat treated prior to storage in those tins, but not a bug one in it, even after breaking the glue type seal and using on them. Imagine that....stored in the 70s for the year 2000(remember when everyone thought the grid would go down in 2000?)...and still as fresh as newly harvested grain even yet. I'm still using on the last of those tins now, 13 yrs hence and no bugs.

At the same time I was gifted a Magic Mill III and used it for many years to grind this wheat...and it's a good mill. But one of the plastic pieces broke and was allowing the flour to get down into the inner workings, so I bought another mill just like it on Ebay and kept the older one for parts.

Keep in mind, you'll want to store your mill in a big ol' zip loc bag with a pantry moth trap either in the bag or nearby, as the flour seeps into creases and such and the moths will find it there. Open it up on occasion and clean out any stray flour to the best of your ability so it doesn't attract such things.

I store freshly ground flour in one of those giant pretzel tubs you get from Sam's Club, plastic with a screw on lid....never had a moth get into one of those all these many years. If I have large quantities of white flour on hand, I store them in the freezer.