i have quail....now what?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
It is a bit sad. I can't help but think of all the people who are appalled at the thought of battery hens, yet a quail, bunny or a horse never seeing the sunshine or felling grass on their feet is somehow OK. :hu

I only need a couple of PVC pipes to make an arched cover tall enough so I can walk inside without bonking my head.
Yup, that gets me, too. Having been involved in the horse industry all of my adult life, I am amazed at how many people think it is fine to keep an animal that was made to move all day long and stick it in a 10x10 stall, or 12x12 if the horse is really fortunate, and the horse comes out for 30 minutes of exercise and goes right back into the stall....and not even every day. We don't want him to hurt himself running around, now, do we....or pull a shoe! Egads! I've had many horses come into my care that needed to learn to be outside. LEARN TO BE OUTSIDE!!!! :he

OK, now that that is out of my system.....I have a couple of animal houses that are head-bonking height....I figure I might eventually knock some sense into myself, so it is a good thing. :D PVC isn't hard or heavy enough, in my experience, for good sense-knocking-in, though. Try pressure treated 4x4's.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I have a couple of animal houses that are head-bonking height....I figure I might eventually knock some sense into myself...
hey Free!!!

yep i've used this methodology all summer and it hasnt helped a bit. i just keep bonking my head..... no sense yet at all.

hee hee hee

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Being as tall as I am, I have used this method my whole life. Hasn't helped one bit! :gig

never in a millions years did i ever think that a line item on my job descriptions would be:

* Entertain poultry. Determine and implement a variety of ways to amuse and occupy birds. Provide an array of toys and useful objects to occupy poultry. Be on call 24x7 to meet these objectives. Success metrics include joyful singing noises, reduced destruction of surrounding areas and living quarters, increased egg production.
No freakin' kidding!!!

LOL

I am the duck's pool girl. Never thought that would be on MY resume!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Some of the horses that I was referring to were even foaled and raised inside a stall!!!

The saddest little things I have ever seen. Young frisky foals that have NEVER been allowed outside in the sunshine to play. They spend 24/7 in a 12 X 12 box with their mother. :(

People can be horrible.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I am the duck's pool girl.
line item #2:
Duckling Lifeguard: Provide exceptional supervision of ducklings in a pool setting. Enforce all rules and regulations prohibiting rough play and horsing around. Know and be able to administer CPR - or just plain snuggles - when necessary. Appropriate Tshirt and surfer board shorts not provided.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
No sunshine means no vitamin D production. That is just an invitation to diseases.

Duckling Lifeguard: Provide exceptional supervision of ducklings in a pool setting. Enforce all rules and regulations prohibiting rough play and horsing around. Know and be able to administer CPR - or just plain snuggles - when necessary. Appropriate Tshirt and surfer board shorts not provided.
:gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Not to mention the lung damage that so many confined animals suffer when forced to breath the ammonia fumes in their own feces.

Give me an over sized cage, with outdoor privileges and customized play ground as a bare minimum.

When my kids were little they had pet rats. (one at a time, but rats do have a short life span ya know) People thought I was a kook because our rat lived in a two story, basically ferret sized cage and got out EVERYDAY for play. Even a lowly rodent deserves good treatment if it is to be a pet.

The animals we depend on for food and lively hood should deserve even more.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, from someone who keeps her rabbits and quail in cages, I feel my toes have been stepped on a little. I don't really feel the need to justify my actions, but Don't judge me.

:/

Wifezilla

Reaction score
You missed the part where I talked about people who are upset about battery chickens doing the same or similar things to their animals. If yours have enough space and are healthy, there isn't a reason for your toes to feel squished.

I was pointing out a hypocrisy.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, if I raised rabbits for meat, I would keep them in cages. Otherwise, I would have to hunt wild rabbits when I wanted some meat! Sometimes it is appropriate, and can be done humanely.

Horses, on the other hand.....this trend is why ulcers are epidemic in the equine world.