i have quail....now what?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I blew out 5. I was going to 6 but SOMEONE decided they had to taste one :somad One exploded during the curing process so I have 4 to work with.

The egg innards will go in to the stuffing :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great work! let us know how the stuffing goes!

and how fancy are you having QUAIL eggs in your stuffing! whoot!!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I had no idea how much of a marshmallow hubby was until last night. I mean I knew he was a marshmallow when I suggested processing an obnoxious drake we used to have and he got all squeamish, but GEEZ! Last night took the cake.

He is worried about the quail being BORED in their cage :th

Ok, so I AM planning a play tunnel for them so they can get time outside, but that is so they can eat grass and bugs (free food...weee!!!), not so they don't get bored!

:gig

What the heck am I gonna do when I hatch out a bunch of boys that have to be eaten before they kill each other? I guess I will have to send him to the store for a box of widgets and do it while he is gone!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
well that is a worry... bored quail.

hee hee hee hee hee

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I tried to get them to spend time in their "quail tractor". The poor things apparently had never seen grass, the sky, clouds, the sun....

They were so confused. :p

I think I am going to have to give them a little outside time each day while in their cage so that scary yellow thing isn't so scary anymore and THEN we can try the quail tractor again.

Since they each laid again for me tonight, I am assuming their new experience wasn't too traumatic. They are eating, drinking and dust bathing so all is well.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My D2 had a house bunny that was terrified of the outdoors and grass... even after LOTS of trying. I have also known gaited show horses that were scared to be outside after spending their entire lives in either a stall or an indoor arena. Poor things.

It is amazing how animals get so used to confinement.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could probably try one of those rabbit hutch things, where the hutch has a nice penned in bottom so that they can walk down a ramp and spend time in the grass...

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i've been so worried since yesterday WZ.... what is the 'bored' level on those quail today??

;-)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
It is a bit sad. I can't help but think of all the people who are appalled at the thought of battery hens, yet a quail, bunny or a horse never seeing the sunshine or feeling grass on their feet is somehow OK. :hu

They are such busy little creatures and as much as I picked on hubby for worrying about them being bored, I can see a difference in their behavior from just putting a simple stick basket in their cage. It is flat on one side so I cut off the handle and laid it on it's side. Instead of pacing back and forth in front of the bars, they climb in the basket, then run out and climb ON the basket. Then they run in to their dusting box, bop around a bit between food and water and do it all over again. Even something as simple as a chunk of green moss keeps them busy for hours. They pick it up, they peck at it, they scratch at it, they gleefully shred it to pieces...LOL

Hubby was not thrilled about getting the quail, but now he has suggested we convert a dog kennel we inherited when a neighbor moved in to a quail "palace". It is about 6' long on each side and 4' tall. I have plenty of netting and hardware cloth to line the chain link. I only need a couple of PVC pipes to make an arched cover tall enough so I can walk inside without bonking my head.

While we are enjoying the quail eggs (most of the ducks are on strike), I may have to fire up the bator. Just 4 quail in that big pen would look silly :D

i've been so worried since yesterday WZ.... what is the 'bored' level on those quail today??
See above. Moss makes a great quail toy :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
excellent update!

one of the things i love most about poultry is how industrious they are. i love that the hens are always doing something.

however,

never in a millions years did i ever think that a line item on my job descriptions would be:

* Entertain poultry. Determine and implement a variety of ways to amuse and occupy birds. Provide an array of toys and useful objects to occupy poultry. Be on call 24x7 to meet these objectives. Success metrics include joyful singing noises, reduced destruction of surrounding areas and living quarters, increased egg production.