I just taught myself to knit today!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks Occam, btw, if it weren't for you I woldn't have knitting needles!

Occam and I traded a while back, heck I don't even remember what I traded for all these wonderful knitting needles, yarn, crochet hooks, knitting book etc.!! Remind me Occam please. :D

Anyway, I finally sat down and walked my way through the basics of knitting. I can do the basic knit stitch and a purl stitch too!

I can't wait to send each and every one of my family members back in good old Texas a handmade wool scarf!!!! ;) I'm sure they will really appreciate it! :lol:

(And for my really nasty sister, I'll knit a hat to match! :p I'm going to try to have hers sent out by mid August!)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Good for you! I'm a perpetual beginner but I love it! Have fun! You'll be beyond scarves in no time. My goal this summer is to finish a sock, preferably a pair!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow! I had to take a class to learn... Trying to learn from books, or even videos was absolutely beyond me. I needed the teacher to literally take my hands and move them for me, before I understood what was going on. :he Now everytime you see some nice yarn you'll want it, and develop a nice stash...

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Awesome! I don't like to knit, but i love to crochet, and i find it is a very relaxing and productive and resourceful hobby. You're going to have a great time - for like the rest of your life! :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Good for you! I'm a perpetual beginner but I love it! Have fun! You'll be beyond scarves in no time. My goal this summer is to finish a sock, preferably a pair!
:lol:

Thanks!

Socks, well that sounds pretty advanced to me! :lol:

I have a few future sweaters out in my back yard that I'm preparing for...unfortunately I'm still on page 11 of my book. :/

(Plus I just discovered that I'm blind as a bat!! I can't see squat! When did that happen?????)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
HP, I've been collecting fancy yarns for quite some time now...thanks to my nifty knitter. :lol: (I have a great collection of wool hats!)

PP, I'm totally addicted! I just need a few books on tape and I'll be set!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It took me a while to work up to socks. The multiple double point needles take some getting used to. But you see, I have a sock addiction. I adore comfortable socks. And buying wool for socks is not as pricey as buying wool for sweaters and in theory I should be able to finish a sock project more quickly :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
It took me a while to work up to socks. The multiple double point needles take some getting used to. But you see, I have a sock addiction. I adore comfortable socks. And buying wool for socks is not as pricey as buying wool for sweaters and in theory I should be able to finish a sock project more quickly :lol:
A "multiple double point needle"????? Say what??? Socks may have to wait! :lol:

I have to admit, I too LOVE comfortable socks...well, I guess everyone does. Who loves uncomfortable socks? :lol: I love colorful wool socks from fancy stores. I only have one pair however, too 'spensive. :/

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think she means more than one double pointed needle. I failed miserably at socks myself. I can knit in a circle easy enough, and do the heel, but turning the gusset is impossible for me. This is coming from me, though, who needs someone to walk me through it in slow motion. Also, I learned a different knitting style than most learn. (though I love it)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!!

I learned when i was young, but being results oriented, I prefer crocheting, since you see results much quicker. My mom and mil are great knitters though, and they really enjoy it. Me? When can I find the time?! :p